Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rockshox revelation RCT3 lockout problems? help needed
  • bigwill
    Free Member

for the second time in 4 weeks, the blue motion control lever on my revelation rct3 solo air fork have jammed in the lockout position. when this occurs it loses lockout, and the fork is in effect fully open. on both occasions the problem always occurs when riding home on the road (hence being in lockout) after been out for the day, and I first notice the front end bob when riding up a hill.

The first time it occurred 4 weeks ago, I took the forks back to evans – they sent it off to sram, who 2 weeks later apparently replaced the cartridge, evans did not seem that bothered and when asked why it had gone, I just got the standard shoulder shrug and dunno.

the forks are 4 months old, – anyone had similar problems? Is there an easy fix? I am no fork expert, but given the time can usually see myself round most things.

if this is a warranty only fix, can I take the forks to any rockshox dealer or do I have to go back to the place of purchase?

any thought appreciated.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

My rev wc do this too. If you take the damper out you can see the problem. I meant to take pictures and fiddle with it but just put it back in open and went for a ride instead. Not amused by the prospect of weeks waiting for a new damper.

bigwill
    Free Member

thanks stuartlangwilson not opened a fork up yet, but have looked at the service instructions and it looks pretty straight forward, were was your problem located and what do you think is the cause?

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Here’s the manual.

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/_jmMO0ji6VdpAPF5AWQERJH0UThGqtL1hjnGoWnbNiw/mtime:1372788169/sites/default/files/techdocs/gen.0000000004218_rev_a_2013_revelation_service_manual.pdf

Remove the silver knob with hex key, remove blue knob using 10mm spanner. Unscrew damper with 24mm socket. Pull damper out (have fork upright to avoid spillage of oil). The damper is a black plastic assembly with a metal rod, a spring and some gubbins at the top. There are clicky detents for the 3 positions for the blue knob. When i turn to the lockout position the gubbins and rod move much further down than when in the other two positions and won’t come back out without assistance from fingers.

I haven’t disassembled the gubbins to see if there is an easy fix.

bigwill
    Free Member

Thanks – looks like a bit of tinkering over the next day or two.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

To have a wee look will only take about half an hour. If you have the same issue and find an easy fix, let me know. Good luck.

robhughes
    Free Member

All you need is a plastic bag,Jiffy bag and £4.10
    Post it to loco….No more problem and peace of mine it wont screw up ever again….:wink:

LoCo
    Free Member

It needs to be warrantied by SRAM, you can sort this though us, currently on holiday until the 22nd but will be checking mail every few days (it’s only the local pub that has wifi, HICK!)if you have any queries. 😀

bigwill
    Free Member

pulled the damper out and got to the bottom of the problem, deffo a warranty job, though why it is happening is beyond me, if the problem 4 weeks ago was caused by the same issue, which i believe it was, as the end result was exactly the same, then I would love to know why, as twice in 4 weeks on a new set of forks is a bit strange? especially when the damper was replaced.

anyway I am no good on technical names, so took a pic. as you can see the metal plate on the top of the rod has chipped, the reverse of the other is the same. why this is failing when in lockout, whilst riding on the least technical surface possible – ie flatish tarmac or track is beyond me? – sorry about the wall paper , missus is away so took the bike apart in the kitchen – she likes the retro stuff.

photo2

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox revelation RCT3 lockout problems? help needed’ is closed to new replies.