Rockshox pike lower leg service.

Home Forum Bike Forum Rockshox pike lower leg service.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Rockshox pike lower leg service.
  • mtbtom

*watches thread with interest*

Am in the same boat! Have done Fox forks, but not so familar with Rockshox internals.

rob jackson

new 160mm pikes? if so grease on seals, oil in lowers, new foams and soak them in oil

Premier Icon bluearsedfly
    Subscriber

What are the service intervals on the new pikes?

jimr80

Rob,
    yes 160mm Pikes,
    So is the strip down exactly the same as shown in the video or is there something it’s missing for the new Pikes?

Crag

I’d drop the lowers as soon as you can after purchase. I did on mine before fitting and found less than 5ml in one leg and the other as dry as a nuns piss flap. Not great that they shipped with no oil in the lowers.

jimr80

So I’m looking to keep my newish Pike forks running nicely and am thinking of do a lower leg service on them. I have had rockshox forks in the past and was quite happy to whip the lowers off and clean/lube up. So is it basically the same procedure or is it completely different?
    I have found a video showing the strip down but i think it maybe a few years old.
    rockshox service video

Premier Icon The Duke
    Subscriber

I need to do mine as well but can’t find the rockshox 0w30 oil anywhere. Tried loco and tf tuned but none due in stock for another month, anyone know where I can get some?

Premier Icon mactheknife
    Subscriber

Try eBay 🙂 I got some recently.

nicksee

I used the service manual located here on sram website when I did mine a while ago. I had trouble finding the oil as well but was lucky enough to get some from Loco at the time

robhughes

No 0/30 available at the moment.After talking to Si at loco he recommended fox gold 20w suspension fluid which i got off him.As for the lowers oil volumes 15ml in each leg as recommended by the master. 😉

jimr80

So back to the original question regarding removal of the lower etc to do the lower leg service as it seems to have been over looked. Is it the same process as older rockshox forks as shown in the video or have they missed anything I need to know.
    Also with regards the 0/30 fork oil as Rob mentioned where can I get an alternative compatible oil from ?

robhughes

Read my post where to get it from jimr80 . 😕

dirtbiker100

Oil wise I went with 2.5w stendec off CRC along with some stendec grease. Think I’d read about using those lower weight oils designed for rear shocks?
    As for the lowers service rockshox are just brilliant. Pikes – let air out, grub screw out of rebound knob and take it off, undo both allen key bolts at bottom of legs, pull the legs off. Then as someone said replace the foam and seals if required, put it all back together and manual says 5ml oil in rebound side / 15ml in air side.
    The hardest part I found was getting the bloody stanchions back into the lowers. the seals seem much tighter than previous models.

jimr80

Robhughes,
    I have read your post and understood 😯 However I was looking to just click and buy, rather than phone someone only for the stuff not to turn up(previous experience and all that).
    Dirtbiker,
    thanks, that’s the info i,m after.

d45yth

Most of the German stores have the proper fluid. Try bikediscount.de…not sure what you’ll have to pay postage though.

dirtbiker100

Ah this is where I decided on using it:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rockshox-ow-30-oil#post-5506989
    Not sure if Loco has changed his mind though!

oh and do it often, I left mine about 6 months including a small amount of winter use and one of the seals leaked, turns out I’d got dirt and mud past the seal and it had begun to rub away the black coating. Can’t really notice it when the forks are assembled and not sure if I’d have seen it if they weren’t black but there is wear there.

Mugboo

Somebody called Nick was offering to sell 100mm bottles of oil on here the other day.

hugh_b

I ordered a 1L bottle from bike-discount in Germany. Ordered on a Monday, received on a Wednesday! Very easy to service, mine were pretty clean inside!

Is th is special pike oil?

One assumes it’s still perfectly acceptable to use fully synthetic motor oil of the same weight, like sensible folk have been doing for years.

nealy

It’s easy to service the lowers on the Pike, same as other Rockshox really but just follow their techdoc pdf and put 15ml oil in air side and 5ml in the damper side

The grease they recommend is slick honey which is hard to get hold of but try ebay or http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=lubz-slickhoney. Alternatively PM600 which is also spendy http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/pm600-military-grease-72967/wg_id-2281

I’m fairly certain the lowers oil is Maxima 4T Ultra4 0w30 ester synthetic motorbike engine oil but just incase it’s a different blend I got a bottle of the RS stuff http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/suspension-strut-oil-15-wt-1-l-27371/wg_id-2281 The Maxima Ultra4 is very high quality race oil with moly etc added and the ester negates the seal swell that normal synthetic engine oil can have.

craighill

My pikes have around 10hours on them and I’m pretty sure they will benefit from a lower leg service, thinking of just doing the oil and leave the seals/foam rings change till next time?

Never done a lower leg service but I’m confident I can do it.

rob jackson

10 hours, thats twice a week

LoCo

I was looking to just click and buy, rather than phone someone only for the stuff not to turn up(previous experience and all that).

Care to expand on this? If something didn’t turn up we weren’t made aware of it.

Premier Icon charliemort
    Subscriber

did mine the other day – put putoline 2.5 wt fully synthetic in

hardly any oil came out of the lowers – where does it go?

Scamper

Is slick honey similar to rockshox judy butter?

rob jackson

i used stendec from crc – its ace

Premier Icon nickdavies
    Subscriber

Yeah I have plenty – did post about it had a couple of replies but been so flat out at work i’ve not got round to ordering some bottles for it yet!

Done it now so if you want some, 100ml official SRAM 0w30 for £6.95 drop me an email should be able to get them to you middle of next week.

A bit of research I did suggested the sram ow30 oil is fairly specific and it wasn’t reccomended to use engine oil given the additives. Not sure how much is truth or fiction but I imported the proper stuff.

As far as the service goes it’s dead simple, as above all i’d add to dirt bikers post is rather than replace the foam rings each time I take them out, gently remove the old oil from them and resoak in fresh 0w30. Should be good for a couple more lubes that way rather than replacing each time. Grease the dust wipers lightly with stendec fork & pivot grease (from CRC) when reassembling.

The oil works it’s way onto the exterior part of the stanchions via film application from the foam ring. Once there, such a thin film is easily washed off and absorbed by dust/mud, which is then scraped off the stanchion by the dirt wiper and id ultimately dropped on the trail.

Once this happens often enough (consider that the film is renewed every time the fork compressed) the oil becomes exhausted.

Crag

There’s a few conflicting views regarding the oil type and volume to use.

Some are saying 15ml each leg, others saying 5ml damper, 15ml spring as per Rockshox tech docs while others are saying to use 20w oil compared to the 3wt Sram shock oil suggested by Loco (on the thread referenced up there).

Personally, I’m using the Maxima 3wt shock oil (from Dirtbikebitz) and, for the minute, sticking with the volumes suggesting by the tech docs.

Have you got a definitive answer Loco?? Would putting say 15ml in the damper lower have any detrimental effect? What difference would the wrong weight oil cause?

LoCo

SRAM recommend 5ml in the damper side, 15 ml in airside.
    SRAMtech said 2.5/3 wt is ok to use rather than not do lower oil changes if 0w30 not available, we have the some left for lower services in house but non for sale to customers, it’s due in in about a month 120ml RRP has increased from £3.99 to £5 and the 1 litre bottles are RRP £15 but we’ll be doing them a bit cheaper as usual.
    We have also used the Fox ‘gold’ that’s very goo in our own forks and that works well too.
    Ultimatly if you have issues with the forks and have not followed the SRAM stated guidelines they could refuse to warranty them, however they are very good if you do have any issues with their products.

EDIT: generally we replace foam rings when we do a lower service as they tend to distort and you never get all the muck out so for a £1 or so it’s not really worth doing.
    Specific engine oil is probvably to be avoided too due to additives that could possibly cause issues with seals

Premier Icon Lakes_Puma
    Subscriber

looking at the SRAM tech docs, the Drive side lower leg should have 5 mL of oil, that’s like a child’s medicine spoon, how does that small amount do anything, I would have though that would simply coat the inner walls of the lowers and never get near the bushes or stanchions?

nealy

5ml isn’t much but it’s not much less than the 10ml you put in the air side lowers of a 32 TALAS, the damper side lower leg of a Pike is shorter than the air side (http://nsmb.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/pike-6.jpg) which may explain the difference and they do state use the correct amount to avoid damage. There is grease on the wiper seals and oil in the foam rings so it’s not dry in there and it’s quick and easy to do the 50 hour lowers service.

Premier Icon The Duke
    Subscriber

I’ve got some tf tuned lower leg lube in the shed, would this be ok until I can get the proper rockshox oil?

Premier Icon nickdavies
    Subscriber

Update to earlier post i’ve got about 5 bottles of 100ml genuine SRAM 0w30 if anybody still needs it.
    £6.95 inc post 1st class.

d45yth

Here’s a link to a lower leg service video at Enduro Mag.

philwarren11

Loco, how much for a service and a change of assembly to 160mm from 150mm. I’m local so I’ll drop off and pick up.

LoCo

Full service (including charger damper service) is £90 and air shafts are £35.
    Drop us a booking form to book them in 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox pike lower leg service.’ is closed to new replies.