Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rockshox Pike clunk and Monarch clunk
  • Lucas
    Free Member

My bike seems to have developed a loose feeling at either end. Its an Evil Following with a Pike Solo fork and Monarch at the back.

If I lift it by the top tube there is a slight top out clunk from the rear shock, i have replaced the bushings (both) and hardware and its still there – it is pretty minor but makes the back end feel loose.

Then at the front if I lift the bars there is a slight top out clunk and a feeling that the fork is compressing the first 5mm of travel very easily. I have just done a lower leg service, have done the headset and checked all the usual suspects (caliper and axle) and I can see the forks compressing very easily.

Is it a case of sending them both off for a full service – any recommendations?

coppice
    Free Member

The monarch is a fairly common fault, in my riding group 3 people have had the issue, one of them twice. All with the boost valve and all covered under warranty. Mine doesn’t have the boost valve and so far has been okay (although admittedly doesn’t get used a lot). A few of us are switching to coil’s now

Lucas
    Free Member

I don’t think I have the boost valve, its the RT3 model, Ill have to have a look on the shock and see. Thanks for the info though.

steel4real
    Free Member

The 3 Pikes I’ve had all had that (2 x RCT3’s (2015 & 2016) and 1 x RC(2015)) pretty much from the start – a non issue in use, only time it could be felt when riding was on steep smooth climbs and even then only occasionally. All had regular lower & air shaft services but only a bleed on the dampers, not full damper services. 2 of the forks now have the ‘DebonAir’ air shaft in them which, along with the obvious performance gains, also seems to have removed that slight top out/free movement you refer.

bigjim

too many pies

rickon
    Free Member

The monarch is a fairly common fault, in my riding group 3 people have had the issue, one of them twice. All with the boost valve

Monarchs or any Rockshox shock don’t have Boost Valves. Do you mean the IFP?

That issue is usually felt when compressing the shock, not lifting it.

If lifting the bike feels like a clunk, I would look at the frame bearings. Hold your fingers on each of the bearings when you lift the bike, and feel for the clunk.

The only other thing I’d look at is the lower shock bolt, it’s common for that to be loose. Geese it and Torque it to 9nm and see.

andreis
    Free Member

had the same issue on some pike forks with an rct damper. The solution was to change and bleed the charger. Running plush again.

bigjim

my monarch did it and had the clunk part through travel too

http://blueliquidlabs.com/suspension/rockshox-monarch-knock/

I have a dpx2 waiting to go on now

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Pike clunk and Monarch clunk’ is closed to new replies.