• This topic has 36 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Rockshox fork servicing question- where are the foams?!!
  • hora
    Free Member

Using this:

http://www.cycletherapist.co.uk/step-by-step-guides/rock-shox-lyrik-lower-service

"Remove the foams from below the wiper seals"

Right. There are no foams that I can see. See the pic below. The yellow top part looks like it is paper-backed and a very thin layer about an inch-deep. It doesnt look like the big/volume-sponge foam in the link does it?

bent_udder
    Free Member

The foams are under the wiper seals – which are those grey things. They shoud be in between the wiper seals and the top of the fork legs.

The beige 'papery things' are the fork bushes.

You seem to have a fair amount of moisture in the fork legs – this will need to come out before you reassemble anything. If it was in there when you stripped it down – and from the look of the sand and mud on the wipers, that's the case, then stop jetwashing your bike.

hora
    Free Member

I bought the forks yesterday secondhand. To minimise additional costs I've decided to 'learn' and clean them myself. How do you lift the wiper seals?

bent_udder
    Free Member

Flat blade screwdriver and a cloth. Wrap screwdriver shaft in cloth to protect the top of the seal (I take the circular spring out, by the way) then prise the seal off from the bottom of the seal, down where the foam should be.

With other RS forks (not worked on Lyriks) the foams are visible from the perspective you took the photo from, so they may be missing. If that's the case, I'd suggest you just buy new seals and foams anyway.

Regardless, you need to clean out the lowers with a bottle brush and warm water, then leave them to dry out for a while.

hora
    Free Member

Observations- Ive just deformed a hidden circular springring and removed it. Its knackered. Can I get by without it for a while?

Removed the top springring. The wiper seal will not budge. Well it seems it wont budge unless I damage it with alot of force.

Visible is a thick black plastic ring though. I'm assuming on Lyriks its black then and not orange. Will order new seal but for now will give a good clean with a old toothbrush/oil run through then dried and laid on a warm radiator.

Edit- decided to run the internals under a warm tap- concentrating on the bottom of the seal area- clean. Now. I also dislodged to two black rings from each leg- Im assuming these are bump-stops?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not all RS forks are the same around the the wiper seal and oil seal area. It's quite possible your fork doesn't have them fitted

If I'd have seen this post earlier I'd have told you not to remove the seals unless absolutely necessary and unless you have replacements, because as you have just discovered, it can ruin the wiper seal very easily.

If you can't easily see the foam then you don't have one. And I can't see one in your pic! Or even space for one for that matter….
    (but I am posting from my phone so that nay be bollix!)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

this is going to turn into the mtb eqivalent of a teen slasher movie.
    🙄

Pulls up chair… 😈

hora
    Free Member

Ive stopped/not removed the seals. The hidden (lower) spring-ring that popped out. Can I just leave it out?

Scienceofficer- no its not. Ive stopped realising that removing the wiper seal was gonig to mean deforming it! Its currently sat ontop of the radiator drying out. Will swill oil down the inside of each leg once dry before applying Front line teflon grease on the seals then reassembling 🙂

ianpv
    Free Member

just follow the boxxer lower service vid on TFs site (pretty much identical to a lyrik). It is a ten minute job, you seem to be making a bit of a meal of it TBH!

hora
    Free Member

Will do. Its my first attempt. TBH its all making sense- thanks for identifying the bushings etc.

Boxxer vid removed.

Ps. You must admit, stripping down your forks (if you arent a trained engineer etc)- is pretty daunting for the first time. Its a steep learning curve when its your own kit your potentially fouling up!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The first time I had my Rebas apart I was a tad worried it has to be said. But to any half decent mechanic it gets easier after you remove the first bolt.

As long as you think before you act and carefully set the parts out so you can remember how they go back it's not hard at all. I can now do a full service on most RS forks in around 30 mins. Damping oil, lubricating oil, air cartridge strip and the odd seal if needed. 🙂

walla24
    Free Member

good luck! did this a while back for the first tim eon my pikes…scary stuff but worth it.

hair dryer on stuck seals was a good suggestion irc

muddydwarf
    Free Member

In that case Peter, do you fancy showing me how to do it?

I REALLY, REALLY don't want to **** up my forks but they desperately need a service…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

MuddyD, have you not seen these?

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1AoGIWBz4H1YWNhYWRkODYtNzRiNi00YTA1LTlmMjctNmQzOWQwMDdiZGFl&hl=en

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1AoGIWBz4H1N2M0NDgyMjEtNjhhYi00NmYxLThiYTUtNzEyOTg0NmViYWM2&hl=en

Not about servicing specifcally, that's all on the RS site, more or less. But you do get the idea of how to take the forks apart from them….
    I've got another that's not online right now that shows how to take the air cartridge apart as well, for adjusting the travel. All mine, done on my forks. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Its not hard….hmmmm remember my thread on my old Z1 FR's- where the bloody damper rod kept on seperating from the external adjustor just after I had reassembled and compressed a few times? Yes- my first attempt involved slicing off some skin as well!

That spring ring- is it that important?!!

retro83
    Free Member

yes it pulls the seal tightly onto the stanchion. I wouldn't be worried about replacing it immediately, but just bear in mind that the seal won't work as well as it did originally.

Is it one of the ones on the inside of the grey wiper ? or is it one round the top of it?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Its not hard….hmmmm remember my thread on my old Z1 FR's

But these are Rock Shox. It _IS_ easy if you're not the sort of person that uses a hammer and pliers for everything! 😉

hora
    Free Member

Historically a clawhammer solved any mechanical problem 🙄

I'm a new mechanic now though…

Ps. (as mentioned above) Lyriks dont use foams:

http://www.tftunedshox.com/Catalogue/Shop-RockShox/RockShox/RockShox-Fork-Spare-Parts

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So basically, you blundered straight into it, and damaged the wiper seal, without checking your facts first. Schoolboy error! What was that about the hammer again? 😉

hora
    Free Member

Wiper seals fine- that spring ring. It'll be reet (for now).

Any good mechanic will tell you that you should always have a few nuts and bolts spare after a major engine rebuild or a airplane wing has been repaired 😯

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The only spares I end up with are old parts I've replaced. Leave bits out of your forks and they're gonna bite you back, that's for sure! 😀

hora
    Free Member

Well Ive asked the question to Fisher. Im not sure what function it has. Im guessing it sits under the wiper seal holding either the base of the wiper seal in place as thats where it came from when I was trying to lift the wiper seal out with the screwdriver. Worse case I'll have the wiper seal pop up the stanchion mid-ride and end up with a shorter ride (or constantly pushing back). It doesnt have much torque on the spring though- its very dainty and the wiper seal was stuck fast.

It'll last until the replacement/backup seals arrive 🙂

One thing I am amazed about is the condition/dirt in the fork. The previous owner must have felt the forks behaving really poorly surely. I felt it straight away just bouncing them on the bloody floor.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

All the spring does is help the wiper to seal on the stanchion. The wiper seal won't come out without it. I dunno if it will be a problem or not, TBH, because I've never run forks without it. Personally? I get some new seals in there, and probably the oil seals below whilst I was as it (Especially as they are S/H forks) But they ain't gonna be cheap…..

£30 for the set, here –
    http://www.tftunedshox.com/Catalogue/Shop-RockShox/RockShox/RockShox-Fork-Spare-Parts

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sorry, just seen this bit.

One thing I am amazed about is the condition/dirt in the fork. The previous owner must have felt the forks behaving really poorly surely. I felt it straight away just bouncing them on the bloody floor.

Dirt INSIDE? WTF?

Yeah, new seals time methinks. The damping oil does go a bit black, but that's to be expected and is easy to change, but dirt inside? Not good. 😯 😯 😯

Are they coil or air?

TBH, I reckon you might be best sending them off for a proper service. They'll put all new seals inside and size the bushings properly, which you can't do yourself.

hora
    Free Member

Coils. Checked the seals- no deteriotion etc. I'll finish off and ride. Proper service for the main oil etc post-Christmas (i.e. slop though)- when most of the wet weathers gone.

Edit- See my other thread PP re the dirt inside (there are some scratches on one stanchion which Im going to sort)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you've alrerady had the lowers off, you'll find it easier to change the damping oil. Just remove the top of the RH leg, drain out oil and put new in. Job done. That WILL make a noticeable difference too. I'm assuming you have the right oil to put in the lower legs (Lubrication oil, 15cc in each lower leg) when you put them back together as well? You do, don't you????? 🙂

hora
    Free Member

PP. On my new Pikes. The first thing I did was undo the bottom bolts and add in 15mm!

The right hand leg- is this the none-spring leg? How much oil do you pop in? (I can google)

thejesmonddingo

Hora,search on youtube for sramtech,there are official sram vids on how to service all their forks.also download the tech manual and spec sheets from the sram site,to get step by step instructions and an exploded view of the fork,so you can see where each bit goes.
    Ian
    P.S. How's the Forester? I bought an 2.5xt 3 months ago,it's mint!

hora
    Free Member

blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blahblah blah blahblah blah blahblah blah blahblah blah blahblah blah blahblah blah blahblah blah blahblah blah blah Subaru 2.5XT ,blah blah blah!

thejesmonddingo. Where are you based?

In 5yrs of motoring Ive driven far far faster cars. Ive also owned more cars than tons owned bikes. I've had my Forester coming upto 18months? now. Never had a problem with a car before- if I had before It would have been ample excuse to buy another I guess. Replaced CV boot and new clutch.

Mine is the slow 2.0 n/a turbo version. Its slower than the earths rotation however once in motion its fluid, smooth and communicative. I've had the rear step out twice in heavy rain. At no point would I say 'I lost control'. Ive also had a drift on a roundabout- very communicative. You know whats happening and why.

How are you finding yours compared to your previous cars?

When I sell it on- I am seriously considering a 2.0XT pre-facelift.

thejesmonddingo

I had 2 previous Foresters,both 2.0 SFs,originally bought as fishing cars,loved em to bits,wrote one off,driver error,and wore the other out,but decided I wanted a little more oomph,got the 208bhp version 2.5 xt.I'm based in Silkstone near Barnsley,I've been off riding for a few years,but had a small stroke in July and was advised to take exercise so bought a Remedy,and am back to loving it again.See you haven't changed much over the years,noticed your name on the Forester forum.
    Ian

scraprider
    Free Member

aaahhh ffs, stop wibbling on about cars , lol replace the damn spring ring.rebuild and report back with ride details , lol its like reading a book .

thejesmonddingo

LOL
    Ian

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

http://www.cycletherapist.co.uk/step-by-step-guides/rock-shox-lyrik-lower-service/

Hora etc, lyriks do have foams, mine do at any rate as do the ones stripped in the link. I followed the steps on the above link and its a doddle.

Agree on the extra bolts theory, my first motorbike used to get lighter every time I worked on it… 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hora etc, lyriks do have foams

His don't. You can see that much clearly in the pic. 🙂
    I've discovered that just because a service guide says something, don't necessarily mean it's true (My own guides included!) For example, some RS forks (Revs I think it was) can have a different seal arrangement between models, years, or just seemingly at random. IIRC it was a mates Revs that had no oil seals at all, just wipers!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

PP no doubt youve hit the nail on the head. Mine were probably made on the same afternoon as the guy in the link I followed and hora tried to…

hora
    Free Member

See you haven't changed much over the years

Yep. You stop changing after a certain age?? If Im ever your way, would love to have a quick spin in yours 😀

Yesterday I was doing donuts in a derelict shopping centre carpark.

On the foams. Mine definitely dont have foams. Theres not enough room under the base of the wiper-seal for a start. Plus the thick black ring (non porous-looking but striated) just under seals seems to be there in its place?

I emailed Fisheroutdoor (as always fast to comeback) and he escalated my email to RS- again, they cameback very quickly. They dont think the scratches are an issue. I've repaired those now anyway with patience. 🙂

Well the forks work. I'm actually quite proud of myself as well 😀

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox fork servicing question- where are the foams?!!’ is closed to new replies.