Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Rockshox Dual Position feedback
  • thv3
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at a set of 29er Pikes, and wondering if anyone had the Dual position?

Is it set or variable? (So for example could you drop it anywhere between 150 to 120, or is it one or the other?)

I’ve had a look online, but can’t seem to find any video’s or information explaining how the system actually works. Any feedback appreciated!

carlos
    Free Member

Well if they’re the same as the Sektors it one or the other and not variable

I’ve got (spare set) the 150 – 120 DP Coil Sektors and on those, when you want to reduce the travel simply turn the dial on the top of the left leg and compress the forks making sure they pass the indicated mark on the stanchion. When you want them back to the other position, again, turn the dial and compress. Simples in’it

HTH
    Carlos

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Not variable. I’ve just got some and haven’t yet used them in anger out in the wilds, but feel nice up and down the road. I feel I could only be bothered to use for steep technical climbs. They’re not easy to switch on the fly and I have no problems climbing in the extended mode.

thv3
    Free Member

Cheers for the feedback, think that’s my mind made up then.

Suspect I wouldn’t actually use the dual position if its a bit of a faff on the go, no point having a reverb and having to stop to drop the forks! 😉

carlos
    Free Member

If the DP action is the same as the Sektors then it’s no faff at all. Defo no need to stop and alter the travel, that’s for sure. I’ve never had an issue altering the travel on the fly, it’s a bit line gear selection, you just think about what you riding and make the choice

How hard do you think it is to turn a dial 1/4 turn and compress the forks? 🙄

It’s a way simpler way to adjust travel than the U-turn models

nuke

How hard do you think it is to turn a dial 1/4 turn and compress the forks?

It’s a way simpler way to adjust travel than the U-turn models

This…spot on. I’ve had uturn, talas & now DP (2 sets of Revs)…DP is no faff at all

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No need to stop, just lean down and flick the switch.

Slogo
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of revelations, super simple to use on the go.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Maybe I’ve got fat fingers or something. I just find it tricky to adjust on the fly so tend to fiddle with shock settings when stationary. The actual action of the dials is light and precise once you get your fingers on them.

blueandwhiteblade
    Free Member

@thv3 – did you go for a Thumper frame in the end? Are the Pikes for that or something else?

thv3
    Free Member

Aye, went for a medium.

Planning on thumper with 150 Pikes, angleset and Flow Ex’s.

Just need to be patient now…..

Yetiman
    Free Member

If you’re not planning on using the Dual Position setting then it might be worth opting for Solo Airs. My 29er 150mm Dual Position Pikes were a bit too divey for my liking on the steep techy stuff I regularly ride, dropping down off rocks steps and such like, and unfortunately you can’t fit the bottomless volume reducer tokens to the Dual Position Pike like you can on the Solo Air, which I wasn’t aware of when I bought the Dual Positions. The replacement 160mm Solo Airs felt better straight out of the box, for whatever reason as they were both RCT3 models, and they were further improved with the addition of a couple of tokens. Even with the slightly taller fork I’ve not felt the need to have a travel adjust function.

Having said that, the Dual Positions weren’t all bad. They were stiff, and they were pretty supple over fast chattery trails like the ones found at most trail centres, and they weren’t as divey as my 2013 Fox 34’s for instance (before I fettled with them). It was just the big steep techy descents that showed up their weakness.

thv3
    Free Member

@Yetiman Thats incredibly useful, as I’m based in Innerleithen so steep techy descending is mandatory.

I was concerned about how much I would actually use the DPA, and the added complexity meaning something else to potentially go wrong. If the DPA version also can’t use the bottomless tokens and didn’t handle the steeper techy bits as well as the solo air, then the decision is fairly straight forward.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Some good info here, thanks folks.

Are dual position forks ever ok to use for general riding in the lowered setting? Or is it a climbing only thing?

I used to run my 2012 Fox RLC FiTs locked out for climbing, but leave it open all times now and I’m pretty happy with how it climbs. Even for extended ones.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Dual Position feedback’ is closed to new replies.