Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Rocklobster Team 853
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

My mate (no internet access) is getting a HT on his B2W scheme, the limit being £1000

Already having a Meta 5.5.2, he wants a steel HT and likes the look of the Rocklobster. He wants it for general XC duties and some trail centre useage (he’s actually gonna ride to work on it too!!)

Does anyone have a Rocklobster 853 on here, if so what are they like?

Any other bikes suggestion would be handy too.

Lastly he’s around 5’9″ so would a 17″ be the best bet? His Commencal is a Medium

Cheers

Jamie
    Free Member

RL = Great bike.
    17″ Would be spot on. I am 5’7″ and had a 17″, so at 5’9″ he should be fine. BUT, if he can he wants to get down to Merlin to try them for size.

I am still gutted i had to sell mine to fund my next build 😥

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Lovely bike and great spec for the money (possibly the best deal around?). I really liked mine, apart from the low BB – the pedal strike drove me mad! Although, I know of plenty of people who aren’t bothered by it at all. Anyway, apart from that, it’s a lovely bike. Really light frame for steel too! I reckon a 17″ would be perfect at 5’9″.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Buy one. Top little bike!

Oggles
    Free Member

Fantastic bikes! Very nice to ride and great spec.

TheYeti
    Free Member

That last one’s a…what..21″ ? Do they do a 21″?

Just checked, yes they do, it MUST be a 21″ !!

Garry_Lager

The frame geometry of those last two pictures looks very different – are they different models?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

No, just that mine’s tiny, and the other one is huuuge. And the pics are taken at different angles.

All we need is a 19″, and we’d have the set!

iainc

I am 5 10, with kinda short legs and the 17 is spot on for me :

it’s a great bike, perfect for muddy rooty xc riding – I love it -)

Oggles
    Free Member

Yes it’s a 21″. It is a newer frame with the separate seat clamp and slightly different paint than the other two, but the geometry should be similar.

addy6402

Get him to do it!

Mine is a second bike (after my Prophet), used for to commute to work, fast local rides and trail centres too. I love it, great value and lively to ride.

Mine is the 19″ – I got it on C2W before xmas with SLX groupset and Pro II hubs for £1k…

cinnamon_girl

Sold my Rock Lobster a few months back. Had been really pleased with it, bought on recommendation of Mr & Mrs Peter Poddy. Used it with panniers on the West Country Coast-to-Coast, also on many all-day rides. Put RS Revs on. Size-wise that sounds right.

Just moved on to a mid-life crisis bike.

Can confirm that RudeBoy really flies on his SS version.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Cheers folks, I think he’s going to go and check one out up @ Merlin one Weekend soon.

Just as a thought how does the Charge Duster Hi compare?

Jamie
    Free Member

In respect to VFM it doesn’t.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My missus had one on C2W a few years ago, and I ran one as a SS for a winter. At 5’8″ the 17in was perfik for me and will fit you fine. They are lovely bikes to ride, just the right amount of forgiveness from the back end, and very well made (Better than an Inbred, put it that way)

Merlin are really helpful to deal with too, just get one!

neil853
    Free Member

absolutely mint bike, love mine to bits. have a full sus but i’m currently enjoying the wet winter on my RL

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Rocklobster Team 853’ is closed to new replies.