Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Rock, Metal, Punk, Hard Rock etc…. what are you listening to?
  • v7fmp

Those into the heavier end of the music spectrum, what is currently floating your boat? Whether its a new release, something old or a new discovery…. what is currently filling your airwaves?

For me, here are a few current highlights:

i use most of the above as part of a Zwift playlist, helps me pound the pedals!

swavis

Loving the comedy of Evil Scarecrow at the minute. Also been listening to Ward XVI a lot, my first live band last year at Bloodstock and love them. Evil Scarecrow were actually the last on the Sophie Lancaster stage too, just brilliant fun.

Blackflag
    Free Member

If you like heavy i can fully recommend HC band Knocked Loose new album. Most of it is tuned to Drop G for maximum crunch.

Blackflag
    Free Member

And if you like more old school hardcore (which i obviously do – hence my name) then this bad boy from 2021 is all you need…

swavis

Also Avatar seem to feature heavily on my playlists 🙂

johndrummer
    Free Member

Can I plug my own band?
    The Allergics

swavis

Yes! I shall give that a listen after work 🤘😎

robbo1234biking

@johndrummer your track listing sounds like a synopsis of the last 18 months!

Will give it a listen later

marksnook
    Free Member

A lot of rancid and misfits as has been the case for 25 or so years!
    Aside to that new idles album is good, also a band called amyl and the sniffers.
    Some stuff never leaves the playlist like slayer, Metallica, sabbath, Maiden etc!
    I need some newer metal actually, will keep an eye on this for suggestions!

rascal
    Free Member

Discovered a few bands/artists during lockdown.

Porcupine Tree – heard of them years ago but never actually knew anything about them – clever songwriting from Steven Wilson with supremely crafted songs from superb musicians. Chuck in some chunky riffs and it’s a compelling mix.

Wilson also produced the Blackwater Park album from Swedish band Opeth which I can’t stop playing. The title track has more monster riffs in it than most band’s entire careers \m/

tazzymtb

currently going through a wolfbrigade (motorhead mixed with d-beat punk) and early napalm death phase, with a bit of heilung (ambient viking stuff) and bridge city sinners (punky bluegrass/folk) to lighten things up.

tazzymtb

currently going through a wolfbrigade (motorhead mixed with d-beat punk) and early napalm death phase, with a bit of heilung (ambient viking stuff) and bridge city sinners (punky bluegrass/folk) to lighten things up.

Blackflag
    Free Member

+1 for Wolfbrigade. Can never have enough D Beat in your life.

militantmandy
    Free Member

Meshuggah, always Meshuggah

Also been listening to the new Mastodon. Still a long way from the lofty heights of the best ones, but a lot better than the last couple which have been absolute drivel.

Fleshkiller – proggy / deathy metal stuff with a nice mix of clean and heavy vocals and superb production

Crowbar – all the sludgy / riffy goodness and misery

Cult of Lunas last full length was an absolutely post-metal masterpiece

The new Aborted record is good, but not quite as brutally catchy as the last one

kenttaff13

As recommended to me by my son
    Xentrix
    Warbringer
    Revocation
    Powertrip
    Orphans of Doom
    Havok
    Feared
    Evile

And Exodus are a permanent feature

zippykona

These last 5 years Crass have vented my anger.
    Just wearing my crass badge tells all the gammons to **** off and they don’t even know it.
    **** you,**** you, **** you.

marksnook
    Free Member

I left mastodon at The Hunter album, wow that was 11 years ago!! Forgot them so thanks!

sharkattack

I watch this on the big telly at least once a month. Subwoofer activated.

lister

I’m enjoying a bit of Dead Sara at the moment:

And Moving Targets:

Superchunk:

And Bob. Always Bob…just hoping he can make it over here to play his solo gigs, supposed to be seeing him in Bristol in a couple of weeks.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Since subscribing to a streaming service I’ve starting listening to, and really enjoying lots of weird and wonderful stuff (well, for me anyway).

Today’s bangers are:

Wherever I May Roam, a cover of the Metalica classic by Chase and Status and Backroad Gee, whoever he is.

Rasputin, Boney M.

We are Motorhead, by Motorhead, which if you haven’t heard it, it could be argued is Ace of Spades with new lyrics.

Cumberland Gap by David Rawlings

Dirty Cash, by Stevie V

Icky Thump by White Stipes

Take a Chance on Me, by Erasure.

johndoh
    Free Member

I’m really liking Avenged Sevenfold at the moment – just the right balance of rock and melody for my liking.

kennyp
    Free Member

I’ve got quite into Children of Bodom over the last year. Sadly however it took the death of Alexi Laiho to bring them to my attention. Mrs Kenny not too happy though as they are best listened to pretty loud.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Mods have removed my link because it’s a bit sweary 🙁

Search Spotify (or Facebook) for “The Allergics” and you’ll get there

If you happen to be in or near Leeds on Friday 4th Feb then come along to The Drysalters (near Elland Road stadium) to catch us & The Swindells live

teenrat

My recent playlists seem to mainly consist of

Uncle acid and the deadbeats
    Orchid (very sabbathesque)
    Skraeckoedlan
    Corrosion of conformity
    In flames
    Astroqueen (the intro to ‘superhuman god’ is bangin!)
    Kvelertak

p7eaven
    Free Member

As far as rock goes, this week I’ve been mostly listening to an eclectic mix of old, new, fast, slow, chilled, unchilled, bust most if it on the more groovesome side of heavy.

Stooges (Fun House)
    Television (Marquee Moon)
    Buzzcocks (A Different Kind Of Tension)
    Crack Cloud (Pain Olympics)
    Oh Sees (Face Stabber)
    The Doors (LA Woman
    Dungen (Ta det lungt)
    Motorpsycho (Heavy Metal Fruit)
    Yak (Pursuits Of Momentary Happiness)
    Black Sabbath (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath)

And a lot of John Bonham isolated drum tracks to help practice

*Edit before I forget this old favourite

verses

More the Punk end, but I keep coming back to The Bronx

willard

General Surgery have recently released a new EP and have some remixes in memory of two of band’s friends that died in 2021. They’ve been getting a lot of airtime on my playlist.

stevie750

Really enjoying this and also most of burn the priest (which is lamb of god’s covers band)

fever 333 and lamb of god

Olly
    Free Member

I got offered this yesterday, on a streaming service following on from my regular playlist:

“Flamenco Metal?”

Maxium Shred Showoffery.
    Time will tell whether i persist with it, its a bit much to have in the background.

desperatebicycle

Fleshrip
    Dead Bishop
    Arcade of Evil
    Demon Spawn
    Deatheye

bob_summers

Best record of last year (the one I want to post is probably too sweary for the mods)

asbrooks

I gave this another watch last night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiy379PG1yo. I was in the crowd so always makes me smile.

How do post videos up on this forum now days?

hatter

Definately more on the stoner/hard rock side of things but this was my fave release of 2021.

This lot always raise a smile as well, silly but so much fun.

asbrooks

This still gets an outing on the old turntable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGJFWirQ3ks

swavis

Ahh, Eskimo Callboy, brilliant!

militantmandy
    Free Member

burn the priest (which is lamb of god’s covers band)

Also the name the released their first (pretty good) album under. Another band, like Mastodon, that for me have mostly gotten worse with age.

For fans of long song doominess, I can recommend:

johndoh
    Free Member

Fleshrip
    Dead Bishop
    Arcade of Evil
    Demon Spawn
    Deatheye

So much as I like the genre, there really are some shite band names out there, aren’t there?

teenrat

Also forgot to mention Bob Vylan is getting alot of time as well

retrobri
    Free Member

If i’m not listening to Ska you’ll find me on the noisy side. Current sounds

Cro-mags “in the beginning” – it was this that pulled me back in, ft Rocky from Suicidal Tendencies – proper old school sounding!

These bands always on my deck
    The Exploited
    Minor Threat
    Blaggers ITA
    Sleaford Mods (kinda punk in origin)
    Slayer
    Subhumans

tomparkin

So much as I like the genre, there really are some shite band names out there, aren’t there?

Even more so if you’re into doom/stoner. The number of near-identical bands called “bong-something” or “something-weed” or “fuzz-somethingelse” is just mind bending.

Anyway, recent highlights for me…

DVNE’s Etemen Aenka. Splendidly-executed modern prog-metal type stuff which is vaguely related to the Frank Herbert Dune universe. In some way. Who cares, really, when you have riffs like the closing 30s or so of “Court of the Matriarch”…

https://songs-of-arrakis.bandcamp.com/album/etemen-nka

Monolord with Your Time To Shine. Picking up from where “No Comfort” left off with more classic-rock tinged slabs of doom. Thudding, malevolent riffs leavened with harmonised leads and singable vocal melodies — what’s not to like?

https://monolord.bandcamp.com/album/your-time-to-shine

ILLUDIUM’s Ash of the Womb. A cheery name for a thoroughly cheerless album which brings to mind a shoegazey PJ Harvey at one moment, quieter Thou passages at others, but is entirely its own beast. If nothing else the closing track “Where Death and Dreams Do Manifest” is utterly magnificent and worth a listen for its wondrous guitar tones alone.

https://illudium.bandcamp.com/album/ash-of-the-womb

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Rock, Metal, Punk, Hard Rock etc…. what are you listening to?’ is closed to new replies.