Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Robot Mowers…. I know nothing
  • Alex

Well I know I don’t want to mow the lawn. And I know our lawnmower is completely dead. And I know how much a new one will be which is significantly cheaper than a robot one, but… I’m lazy.

Fella who has done his best to ‘bring our lawn back from the dead’ recommended the Worx one. Lawn is about 200 SqM. It’s also a bit lumpy from significant mole action and apparently the Worx one can handle a bit of off road 😉

It’s a round lawn, but it’d be easy to install guide wire initially. And we have outdoor plugs and covered area for it to dock.

So apart from the cash outlay, any reason not to? And any recommendations.

neiloxford
    Free Member

Worx are great. We named ours Shawn.

bearnecessities

You will name it and possibly add googly eyes.

kelvin

Just avoid having three different robots, each with slightly different strengths and weaknesses. Feel free to experiment with tyres though.

Alex

🙂 I notice with the Worx one you can get off-road tyres!

bsims
    Free Member

This thread made me think of that film Runaway with Tom Selleck… and Maximum Overdrive. Can’t actually be of help though.

luket

We’ve got a Husqvana. Called Shirley. She cost a fortune but i designed the whole lawn layout around making it easy for robot mowing. Pretty faultless so far. Only tried to mate with a garden chair once. Just gets on with the job. And mulching is a win anyway. Can handle a decent slope. She may get goggly eyes or a hula skirt or something this summer.

At previous house we had a basic robomow. That was constantly in trouble. Back wheels too close together and wheelbase to front castor wheel too long, meaning much more grip was required to turn, so on a very shallow slope it would spin. Early adopter risk I guess. That was called “your bloody mower”.

Installation for both was pretty straightforward.

kelvin

you can get off-road tyres!

Well, if you have multiple tyre choices, then that is clearly the one for you.

onehundredthidiot

I’m confused as to why you’d have on-road tyres on a mower.

kelvin

Good question. But the important bit is that Alex gets to try out different tyres.

johnners
    Free Member

I’m confused as to why you’d have on-road tyres on a mower

Have you seen the state of some of the patios on here?

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’m confused as to why you’d have on-road tyres on a mower.

Gravel innit.

devbrix
    Free Member

Be careful it doesn’t escape 😉

onehundredthidiot

Tubeless? What tyres for pampas? Everyone chucks their mower remote into a fruit bowl.

mst
    Free Member

I got the husqvarna 105 base model mowing a 25 x 25 lawn. It’s a massive time saver for me and also I don’t have the space and servicing hassle of a ride on. Went for husqvarna for the longevity of spare parts.

He’s called Clippy.

Alex

Thanks all.  Useful advice. Mainly on naming conventions. Clippy and Shawn both excellent 🙂

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I have an Husqvarna and it worked well up until this year. Saved lots of time and effort cutting the lawn and for some reason the moss issue has disappeared.
    When I went to set it away this spring the 7,8 &9 on the keypad won’t recognise an input.
    Unfortunately my PIN includes this so can’t currently use it.
    Any thoughts or is it just scrap. It’s a few years old so……….
    Cheers
    Steve

fossy

Lazy buggers. You’ll be getting uplifts next to ride your bike ……

I’d need three robots to do my three small lawns – TBH, can cut them all in less than 20 minutes. I assume these things can’t strim edges and stuff..

What happens is the grass is a little long, or wet and sticky ?

simondbarnes

Just get some sheep

hot_fiat

@fossy from what I’ve read the worx has an offset cutter and so is the only one that can reach right up to a lawn edge. You can also lay trails between separated lawns.

I really want one that quietly picks up and shreds into tiny little pieces children’s toys that fail to get tidied away when they’re done with them.

bravesirrobin

@fatgit I would be surprised if that can’t be fixed; most (if not all) components are designed to be replaceable and Husqvarna support is pretty good in my experience. Try calling your local Husqvarna Automower dealer.

Alex

Just get some sheep

I’m from Yorkshire. That wouldn’t end well 🙂

In my enthusiasm or a lawn-bot, I’d failed to remember we have more lawn than the big circle. All of which has trees, planters, random vegetation in the way. I looked at how hard that would be to ‘wire’ round and decided ‘too hard’.

So I bought a Worx electric mower instead. Kind of disappointed as I was looking forward to seeing the ‘bot scurry out and clip the lawn, but practicalities suggested this was not the way to go.

pondo

Well, I’m totally getting one after reading this this morning. 🙂

oldbloke
    Free Member

My parents bought Husqvarna ones maybe 6 or 7 years ago as they got too old to cut the grass themselves. The mowers have now expired through old age (5 or 6000 hours) and are being replaced with the new base Husqvarna ones. As well as labour saving, my Dad was delighted the grass became moss and weed free.

As soon as the kids leave home and stop leaving stuff lying all over the garden, we’ll have one.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Robot Mowers…. I know nothing’ is closed to new replies.