• This topic has 50 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Daffy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Robin Williams (actor) …
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…Just watched RV with the children, though it’s not one of his best was enjoyable.

What an amazing actor he was…

Favourite moments films? Let’s hear them

Drac

Phew! thought it was bad news.

SaxonRider

I always appreciated his ability to move from manic comedy to quite serious emotion.

I mean, from Good Morning, Vietnam to The Fisher King? That’s pretty impressive.

Meanwhile, my kids love Jumanji!

unklehomered
    Free Member

no, don’t worry, he’s fine…

😐

P-Jay
    Free Member

Well, I liked Popeye.

onandon
    Free Member

Thought he was crap in everything other than one hour photo.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Na-nu na-nu…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Jeeze, the man was a genius.. We’ll be here all night with his “best bits”

Popeye, just for its zaniness.
    Aladin, for the manic Genie
    One Hour Photo, for being creepy
    Insomnia, again a physiological thriller and produced by Chris Nolan (yer, him)
    The Butler, Civil Rights political drama.

Theres so much more to his manic comedic nature… he played some serious often worrying characters..

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hairy man, good standup

Klunk
    Free Member

dubious taste in bikes

though he did have a few nice ones

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

He was crazier than a rat in a tin shit house, but Good Morning, Vietnam was a great film. Top guy.

Drac

He was far better in his serious roles then the comedy ones.

Klunk
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnMWc4YtSEQ[/video]

Cougar

Oh Captain, my Captain.

slowoldman

Na-nu na-nu…

Indeed.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator 

bad news… they resurrected him? 😀

Anyway… The Fisher King has always stood out as one of his best as an actor, even though he’s playing himself really, but the part fits. Though I’m biased as a bit of a Terry Gilliam fan.

And to be fair even though it’s a bit saccharin, Mrs. Doubtfire gets a good performance from him.

Mindy, mindy, mindy, shazbot.

pondo

“It’s not your fault.”

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I thought Good Morning Vietnam was a fine example of the worst of the American attitude to the rest of the planet.

Patronising and ignorant.

funkmasterp

He was great in Death to Smoochy. That film is an overlooked classic.

edhornby

Nice one Pondo , took a few posts for someone to say it, one of the next films of the last 25 years

Cadillac man is a great film too

project
    Free Member

MORK AND MINDY was excellent and his first mainstream acting work as an alien with humour.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dead Poets Society – although maybe that’s an exercise in not going back years later and re-watching. It just didn’t seem as good as when I watched it originally as a teenager. I should have left it in the moment of seeing it as a recent secondary school leaver recognising the inspiration a good teacher can give.

My two favourite roles of his were in Insomnia and 1 Hour Photo – who knew back in the 80s and 90s that he would play a villain so well. Especially in 1 Hour Photo where he took obsessive creepiness to a new level.

cheers_drive

Interesting person but I’m in the minority by not liking his zany characters, he was great in The Fisher King though.
    Feel the same about Jim Cary with The Trueman Show, and The Eternal Sunshine.

bensales
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Oh Captain, my Captain.

<stands on desk>

Oh Captain, my Captain!

One of the most deeply affecting films I’ve ever seen, especially given I was the same age as the protagonists when I saw it at the cinema, having no prior idea what the film was about.

scotroutes

Drac – Moderator
    He was far better in his serious roles then the comedy ones.

TBC that’s not exactly a high barrier.

Drac

Yeah I didn’t want to say that part. 😀

prawny

Death to smoochy is a classic. Probably the best thing he did since the early 80s

I’ve got a lot of time for him though, a proper legend.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Loved him In Patch Adams, a bit close to the truth in some parts.

Flaperon

Dead Poets Society. As someone said above, he reminded me of an equally inspirational teacher.

Also, Aladdin. What a film. Never seen Insomnia, will have to watch it now.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Watched bits of Dead Poets Society when my sis was watching it on VHS tape, as well as the whole it, so many times (quite possibly more than any other film in my lifetime). Around the time I was doing A-Levels, so similar age to pupils in film.

Daffy

Patch Adams – the gynaecologist conference.
    Good Will Hunting – all of it.
    Good Morning Vietnam – “what’s the weather like down there? – It’s gonna be hot, and it’s gonna be wet, which is nice if you’re with a lady, but not if you’re in the JUNGLE!”

Robin Williams and Philip Seymour Hoffman – what a damn shame.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The World According to Garp.

jimjam
    Free Member

Bobcat Goldthwait’s interview on the Joe Rogan podcast about Robin Williams in well worth a listen for any fans. Goldthwait was apparently his best friend and he goes into some detail about the illness Williams was suffering (and misdiagnosed) towards the end.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I thought he was brilliant. Maybe Amaricays version of Spike Milligan.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Apart from the obvious already suggested, my personal favourites:-

The Birdcage
    Man Of The Year

grtdkad

Not done much filming in a while though, I’m hoping that he’s out there enjoying that bike collection somewhere no?

SaxonRider

One I just remembered was a silly early 1980s comedy called ‘Survivors’ with Walter Mathau. He gets fired by a parrot. I loved this film as a kid.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuy8yiPveQU[/video]

shermer75
    Free Member

I remember really liking The World According To Garp and completely loving Mork And Mindy, but to be fair the guy got kinda schmaltzy, hey? I mean: Jack, Flubber and Patch Adams?!?! Seriously?!?

jamj1974

Ben Sales +1.

He always reminded in his work me that life was crazy, often stupid and that we are flawed, but there is hope in being true to yourself and doing the best you can for others.

myti
    Free Member

Absolute legend and my favourite actor when I was growing up. Started with Mork and Mindy and I then made it my ambition to watch every film of his. For some reason the films that stick in my mind are Moscow on the hudsen, awakenings, dead poets and good morning Vietnam. I’ve listened to him speak in interviews and radio programmes and he came across as a lovely human being (alien). Very very sad he felt he had to go.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Robin Williams (actor) …’ is closed to new replies.