Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Roast beef, quite possibly the best dinner, ever?
  • bigG
    Free Member

So I’ve just stuck this rib roast in the oven. It’ll be served with all the trimmings and washed down with a nice 2004 Chinon.

Could this be the best dinner in the world? It’s certainly one I look forward to more than pretty much any other.

What’s the dinner that makes your mouth water just at the thought?

teethgrinder

Lamb

Cougar

or

wolly
    Free Member

grum
    Free Member

Good roast rib of beef is bloody fantastic.

For xmas dinner I had pot-roast silverside beef (local grass fed highland cows, 28 day aged) in wine and caramelised onion gravy, with all the trimmings plus dauphinoise potatoes. Mmmmm…..

Good slow cooked lamb on the bone is amazing as well.

toys19
    Free Member

I do like roast beef, but Cougar wins this hands down.

bearnecessities

With proper ham, of course.

ricky1
    Free Member

Roast beef is in the slow cooker,think bearnecessities has it down though !

jamj1974

I love roast beef – especially rib! However I prefer braised beef – slow cooked tender enough to cut with a spoon. Tastes even better the next day too.

One of my favourites has to be fish curry though – South Indian style.

DrJ

with proper hamsausages, of course

FTFY

ebygomm
    Free Member

Just finished eating

Yum yum yum

mikey74
    Free Member

Roast beef is only great if it is cooked to perfection. Unfortuntely, todays wasn’t.

stox
    Free Member

messiah
    Free Member

I have brisket in the oven at the moment, three hours in with another hour to go… just added the roasties and the yorky batter is sitting ready to go in 20 mins. Countdown to yumsers :mrgreen:

winston_dog
    Free Member

bigG – I was going to post something very similar just the other day!

Roast rib of beef is truly fantastic. It is only bettered by Roast Sirloin on the bone.

Those people who won’t eat fatty cuts of beef don’t know what they are missing.

Also, a really good piece of beef needs no additional flavouring, leave the horseradish for getting something out of topside and the like.

wallop

Jeeez, is that a parmo?

Love rib of beef, but today I’m doing lamb shanks in the slow cooker with honey and cider.

rickt
    Free Member

Burger and pulled pork?? If your having a light lunch…..

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Jesus, that looks disgusting.

cinnamon_girl

Where are the Yorkshire puddings? 😯

mattbee

I doubt it’s possible to not like a roast beef dinner, unless you’re either vegetarian or just plain odd. I prefer lamb myself though. At its best when it has been in the slow cooker all day with loads of veg and herbs and stuff. Precisely what I had for dinner last night in fact & am also going to have the leftovers of tonight…
    Rump steak is probably my fave though. This was Christmas eves dinner. (Hand for scale, 1.5kg of beefy goodness…)

wiggles
    Free Member

Had roast (well slowcookered) beef at Xmas was inf***ingcredibal if I do say so myself.

jamj1974

Also, a really good piece of beef needs no additional flavouring, leave the horseradish for getting something out of topside and the like.

This is a bit like the good steak needs no sauce snobbery.

Have sauce or horseradish or gravy or whatever you like with it. Eat it with strawberry jam if that’s your preference.

_tom_
    Free Member

I prefer steak to roast beef. Lamb is better though.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Rib of beef is great, get it nice and crusty on the outside and pink and juicy inside. 😉

Love lamb and pork cooked low and slow so it pulls apart too. 🙂

Inbred456
    Free Member

We had roast beef today with yorky puds but unfortunately my wife insists it’s almost petrified so much so that from now on I have insisted that we cook our beef separately. That beef on the bone looks very good. Nothing worse than overcooked beef.

winston_dog
    Free Member

This is a bit like the good steak needs no sauce snobbery.

It’s exactly like that! Not sure why you think it’s snobbery,just common sense really.

You may as well be eating burgers if you cover your steak with peppercorn sauce or similar nonsense.

IMO it’s the same as putting Cola in a good malt.

By all means crack on but your wasting the malt and your money.

grum
    Free Member

You may as well be eating burgers if you cover your steak with peppercorn sauce or similar nonsense.

Hyperbole much?

I enjoy a decent steak in just it’s own juices but I also enjoy it with a nice sauce, depends how I feel. I’m willing to be snobby about people who have their steaks well done though. 🙂

bigG
    Free Member

Here’s how it looked just before we devoured it.. As for “where are the yorkies and roasties”? The answer is mostly in my stomach.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Agree to some extent, but a really good bearnaise is a great compliment to a good steak. Brings out the flavour of the meat even more.

mightymule
    Free Member

Roast beef is the king of dishes. So much so that my only complaint about the lovely Christmas that I had is that I was utterly disappointed to discover that we were having turkey for dinner not beef. In fact, disappointed doesn’t even begin to describe it!

Cougar

Where are the Yorkshire puddings?

Sorry,

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Chili, chicken risotto or a decent steak all beat the roast in my eyes.
    Chicken risotto with a scotch bonnet and a few herbs in there planned for later.
    Nom.

yossarian
    Free Member

I only really like roast beef if it’s slow cooked – otherwise I’d rather have a steak. The fattier cuts slow roast far better than the more expensive ones. Mine usually involve a thick, herby and very rich red wine sauce, whole baby onions, whole baby carrots and celery. The meat should fall to pieces if you even breathe on it.

cinnamon_girl

That beef looks bloomin’ gorgeous. 😀

As for those Yorkshires … 😉

Which reminds me – anyone who’s gluten-free and lactose-free have a recipe for Yorkshires please?

jamj1974

It’s exactly like that! Not sure why you think it’s snobbery,

Perhaps the way people communicate their preference

just common sense really.

. No, it is opinion presented as fact.

Maybe if you have a completely ineffective palate…

IMO it’s the same as putting Cola in a good malt.
    By all means crack on but your wasting the malt and your money.

I don’t drink malt and when I occasionally did I preferred a small drop of water. Doesn’t mean that people who liked soda or ice or coke are wrong though…

cinnamon_girl

Guys, embrace individuality. 🙂

l0key
    Free Member

beef with a new unopened jar of colemans, heaped onto the side with definatley one teary moment just to set the bar for the mustard, and maybe a second when not paying attention 🙂

jamj1974

I am!

MrOvershoot

wallop – Member
    but today I’m doing lamb shanks in the slow cooker with honey and cider.

Very similar only its in IPA & mint

nearly ready and it smells fab

mogrim

My slow cooker’s on order, winging its way from Amazon’s warehouse somewhere in Germany… so wallop and MrOvershoot: recipes please 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Roast beef, quite possibly the best dinner, ever?’ is closed to new replies.