Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Roadrat – Scottish Winter Edition.
  • jwr

Just about to head out into the snow again, so I thought I’d share a few pics of my winterised Roadrat:

Winter Roadrat by jwrfooo, on Flickr

Winter Roadrat by jwrfooo, on Flickr

In the end I didn’t make too many changes. The main difference being the Continental Nordic Spike tyres. They’re amazing! On sheet ice I seem to have as much grip as on dry tarmac. They even plough through reasonably deep snow without too much problem.

Other tweaks are some extra lighting, slightly raised mudguards and flat pedals so I can wear my walking boots. I also lowered the saddle slightly as the bike does get bucked around a bit when crossing tractor ruts in the ice. So far the Alfine gears have held up very well in the cold – considerably better than a standard derailleur.

-j

scruff
    Free Member

My Alfine seems to be even more draggy than normal ATM.

oddjob
    Free Member

I’m considering some studded tyres though I got through the Danish winter last year on Conti city contacts.

Can’t decide which studded tyres to go for and they are not cheap.

firestarter
    Free Member

Are they the 120 or 240 version mate and where did you get them cheers

jwr

@scruff – yeah, I did notice a little bit of drag in the hub. Can’t say it was any worse than my other (non-gear) rear hubs though.

They’re the 240 versions, got them from Chainreaction. Yes, they’re expensive, but this time of year it’s the only way I can get out on my bike, so I think they’re well worth the price. Last year I missed out as they were all sold out, so I bought mine 6 months ago in the middle of summer.

-j

firestarter
    Free Member

Cool thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Roadrat – Scottish Winter Edition.’ is closed to new replies.