Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Roadies
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I have 2 steel road bikes – a nice light steel one (Ritchey 3.75lb odd) and a "robust" Hewwit Tourer (5lb IIRC)

Does anyone make fast/light tourers that fall in bewteen the two in terms of flex/stiffness, and have proper tyre clearance, maybe even dics mounts?

The Hewwitt is just a bit uninspiring to ride, but I need something a bit more capable/robust than the Ritchey.

njee20
    Free Member

At 3.75lbs it should be indestructible!

Thorn may do something? They seem to cater for most of that market!

rolfharris
    Free Member

CX bike?

cynic-al
    Free Member

it's not strength but stiffnes when loaded. I'll check Thorn

Luke I need rack mounts, bottle mounts etc. Not many light steel cx frames either I'd guess

rolfharris
    Free Member

Why has it got to be steel?

Pieface

Cos its reel

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

Have you thought about an Audax type frame?

(and what size is the Hewitt ?)

DWH
    Free Member

The Cotic Road-Rat has bottle mounts, rack mounts etc. and disk mounts and plenty of tyre clearance for mudguards. It's not particularly light though.

Dougal
    Free Member

Dawes Audax, lovely bikes.

Pieface

Roadrat is not particularly cheap either…

May be sold out but saw a bargain on some big Kona Sutra's at Evans a few weeks ago

Sheriff_Fatman

Salsa Casseroll? Steel, reasonably light and lively, clearance for 32mm tyres with mudguards or 37mm tyres with no mudguards. Uses deep drop brakes so no faffing with cantis either.

I love mine!

Pieface

Kaffenback????

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Second the Kaffenbak. Mine never felt flexy when loaded up. Won't fit massive tyres though, unless they've started making the chain stays longer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I just like steel. Sutra too heavy.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dawes Audax, lovely bikes.

second that ….

used to do an 853 model for about 900 quid full bike a few years back – ok only speced with sora but was a lovely bike to ride !

one of my customers loves hers for touring – shes done all the west coast islands , Shetland , orkney and a tour of the cairngorms and loves it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

wow that casseroll looks perfect. Shame you can't buy it as a frame only 🙁

Will check oot Dawes

cynic-al
    Free Member

oh the Hewwit is a 57. May be for sale!

Sheriff_Fatman

You should be able to buy the Casseroll as a Frame only – I bought mine from Wiggle. Looks like they only have a 53cm available so stock may be getting scarce. They size up about 3cm smaller than a standard frame so a 53 has a 56cm equivalent top tube. They also have quite a high front end. If it any help, I'm 5ft 10 and the 53 fits me perfectly – most comfortable bike I've ever ridden!

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

Singular Perigrine? Check out their Flickr site, it looks bloody marvellous!

Peregrine front

Slacks
    Free Member

Condor fratello?

simondbarnes

cynic-al – Member

wow that casseroll looks perfect. Shame you can't buy it as a frame only

Casseroll Frameset

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Roadies’ is closed to new replies.