Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Roadies – which bike question?
  • chugg08

Thinking getting a road bike to do some longer rides / sportives this year – helps with the fitness for mountain biking 🙂

Looking at the Planet X RT-57 (rival components) or the Cube agree GTC. Does anyone have any experience with either?

The RT-57 was on sale for £999 before Christmas, can’t see it on the website, but (cheekily) does anyone (Brant 🙂 ) know know if they still have any at that price?
    Cheers

iainc

get to a bike shop and sit on a few as sizing vital for road bikes, as you are in same shape for a long time. Giant Defy wins the reviews at the £1k pricepoint

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Yip get your self on a jig and get measured properly, otherwise you’ll ache in places you didn’t know you had

Rorschach
    Free Member

The cubes come up pretty short in the top tube,which is ok if you you want a more up right position.Or you’ll have to go up a size and deal with a longer head tube.
    I’ve just got an rt57 as a ‘not winter bike but not my race bike’ bike as the frame was £350 and it seemed rude not to.I would’nt class it as a ‘sportive’ bike as its pretty racey in geometry and ride tbh.I’m seriously thinking of using it to race on this season and not bothering replacing my race bike when I sell it!! (Giant TCR Adv Sl).
    I’d look at a Defy 1 ,it may not be carbon but at 1k it offers the best value imo.

Spud

Had an RT-57 as my first road bike since last January, got a great deal on the SRAM Red version. Had a proper Retul fitting done due to back issues. Great bike, really pleased with it. Got myself a Dolan Multi-X as a winter bike last month too and again, can’t fault it. I’d recommend the fitting then you know it’s bang on for you from the off.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

go for the cube, its prettier

oldgit
    Free Member

Best I say nothing.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Get a fitting then buy something really nice secondhand and tune it into your position.

£1k secondhand buys a LOT of bike.

chugg08

Thanks for the advice folks. The Defy was one I was looking at but had became tunnel visioned by the weight comparison of the RT-57 and general component spec when compared to others.

b45her
    Free Member

don’t overlook the ribble sportive either, great value and very comfortable.

chugg08

…and just spotted the Cannondale CAAD 10 105 (2012) for £1,100 or a Supersix Apex (2012) for £1,200. Should’ve just placed my order on Friday…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Supersix Apex, ideal for racing sportives on.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I brought an Equillibrium 20 last year for my winter bike, I love this bike it’s comfortable and you can bang out the miles without feeling beaten up at the end of the ride. Everything feels right. I did go to the Bike Show in London on Thursday and they had the Volare 953 on the Genesis stand. It looks great with the polished frame and neat welds.

mudshark
    Free Member

I’d say Defy esp if you can find a last year’s model still

Carbon one here if you’re tall:
    http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=52843

brant
    Free Member

New RT57 Race model with Force soft launched on Friday for £1299.
    Pro Carbon Rival is a looker and a winner at £999 no doubt. (IMO :-))

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member
    luffy105
    Free Member

My lbs had the Defy 0 which wasn’t supposed for the UK market. I’m no expert but a great ultegra equipped bike for just over £1k. I’m doing approx 30 miles a week on mine (no its not much but 30m more than I used to do) and it really is so comfy and fun to ride.

NickScots
    Free Member

I got a 2010 Ghost Road bike, Shimano 105 groupset.

Used at home in Scotland and around the Alps, big cols. Hardly adjusted the gears and brakes. Excellent bike. It was £850 but now more.

chugg08

Thanks folks – as a novice roadie I’ll take on the advice – my old Giant SCR has aged some and I’ve never been into road bike geometry / technology.

Defy looks a good bet for my needs – commute (20k each way), Sunday rides with the local club when not on the hills, the odd longer ride.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Roadies – which bike question?’ is closed to new replies.