Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 521 total)
  • Roadies whats your average speed?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

This all boils down to how flat the rides in question are. In some parts of the country a flat ride is properly flat, with maybe 100m of climbing in 20 or 30 miles. In others, what constitutes a flat ride is more like 500m over that distance.

And that makes a huge difference to average speed.

As previously mentioned, when I had a long flat 30k commute with one hill and some traffic lights in – to average 33.6kph my *typical* flat speed had to be around 42kph just to counter that one short hill the junctions, and a couple of lights. If you consider 42kph on the flat to be fairly easy then fair play, you are fast.

mtbel
    Free Member

it’s not me, but your door you should be worried about wee guy 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

W/kg makes naff all difference on the flat – it’s all about the W I reckon.

Does make some difference, accelerating, aero, etc. If I can get lighter without losing power then I’m usually quicker. But, yes, on flat courses it’s heavily biased towards the watts. I think we’re talking typical rolling terrain though (whatever that means.)

amedias
    Free Member

Sorry but pathetically, stalking is ALWAYS about ego..

nah, it’s really not, it’s about pulling someone up when they can’t/won’t support their claims, or their claims distort the thread.

Plenty of people quicker than me that I ride with, I love having faster people to try and spur me on and drag me home when needs be, and some of them are properly quick, and I can be blowing out my arse when they’re cruising and nattering away, I’m in awe of how fast some guys are, but it needs to be put in context, fast guys are fast, average guys aren’t, and for someone starting out or looking for info it’s important to be able to clarify what is what, where terrain comes into play, where groups affect speeds, and which numbers come from quicker than average people and which are a result of the circumstances.

Njee Bengee is world class at this level of pathological obsessional creepiness.

yeah, but everyone knows you two don’t get on 😉

gatsby
    Free Member

The link I posted has just shy of 300m of climbing in 20 miles. I call it my 20-20 TT as I always aim to complete it in an hour. If I hit traffic, or a strong headwind on the outward leg, I work harder to pull it back.

This is what I was referring to when I said “I aim to do 20mph”.

To date, apart from traffic snarl-ups and a puncture, I don’t think I’ve ever failed on that route. If it takes me an hour and 2 mins, and I’ve got stopped by every set of traffic lights, I’m not going to self flagellate, because I know I’ve still ridden it as well as I’m capable. On a clear run, if I was dropping to 18mph, I’d be worried that I was losing form.

The climbs are long drags, not too steep, so suit me better than short sharp stabs, but 300m in 20 miles is far from flat, a point questioned by Njee. If he’s ever in the northwest, I’d love to see if he can get round it in less than an hour. 😉

njee20
    Free Member

To date, apart from traffic snarl-ups and a puncture, I don’t think I’ve ever failed on that route.

You mean except the one you posted earlier, where you did 19mph?

a point questioned by Njee

Nope, don’t think I did. I wouldn’t say that 900ft in 20 miles is flat. It’s rolling I’d say, which I believe is what you said.

If he’s ever in the northwest, I’d love to see if he can get round it in less than an hour.

Gladly have a punt! And if I do…?

mtbel
    Free Member

I get on with everyone. haven’t ever met Njee.

no one other than you two are actually looking for info from this ridiculously dull thread, trust me.

saynotobasemiles
    Free Member

I never understand these threads, all the willy waving. Never anything to be gained. Just go out and ride ffs! if you want to know how quick you are, do a race.

On a similar note, why do testers always wish to go to the fastest course, on a bank holiday so they can draft caravans down a -3% dual carriage way and claim they do xx.xx for ten miles? Time trialling ie individual effort against others, marginal gains, perfect bike set up etc I understand. Kidding yourself into thinking you are a fast I don’t.

amedias
    Free Member

no one other than you two are actually looking for info from this ridiculously dull thread, trust me.

If I could go out on my bike right now instead I would – trust me!

njee20
    Free Member

So you opened the thread, commented that you were leaving, have contributed nothing, and you’re still posting. Despite it being ‘dull’. You’re a waste of bandwidth you really are.

Kidding yourself into thinking you are a fast I don’t.

Trouble is that it’s a ‘stock’ question among testers isn’t it – what’s your PB? Why wouldn’t you want the fastest possible PB? I can (sort of) see the appeal of going to a fast course. It’s not really any different to using aero bars or deep section wheels – it’s all speed that comes from something other than your legs!

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

To be fair, I’ve found it highly entertaining. mtbel’s ‘contribution’ is a little confusing though.

FWIW i’m quite happy with 12mph whatever bike i’m on 😆

BenjiM

Here’s my willy waving 17mph average over 230 miles and 10k feet (although I’m not entirely sure that’s right) – https://www.strava.com/activities/194190672 granted with a couple of others from the club. Most of my commutes tend to be around the 15 -16 mph depending on the route I take recently I’ve been doing 1200 – 1500 feet of up in 17.8 miles at an average of 16 ish. Wuwu~

gatsby
    Free Member

Njee, as I said, if I’ve got to spend 5 minutes picking my way through a traffic jam and get home 1hr 2mins after I set off, I’m still happy that I’ve ridden at an average of 20mph. It usually means I have to work harder on the second half, so my power output would be roughly the same at a sub hour without traffic.

I described it as lumpy, you questioned it.

If you got round that course in less than an hour, I’d be impressed that such an irritating little southerner could ride it as fast as me and I’d point you in the direction of a good pub where you could buy yourself a pint. On your own.

Saynotobasemiles, part of the attraction of testing is is the tinkering with equipment and position. I’ve recently got a TT bike so I’m quite enjoying trying different things to improve position etc.

I’m not a fan of drag strip courses though, I prefer loops or sporting courses because as you say, I don’t think there’s much achievement in a fast one-way time with a tailwind.

amedias
    Free Member

I’ve found it highly entertaining

that’s all I ever want from STW, and it rarely disappoints!

mtbel
    Free Member

All hail the Bandwidth king… throttling STRAVA D/L speeds 24/7

😆

njee20
    Free Member

I described it as lumpy, you questioned it.

Did I? I genuinely don’t think I did.

If you got round that course in less than an hour, I’d be impressed that such an irritating little southerner could ride it as fast as me

Modest fella aren’t you!?

Here’s my willy waving 17mph average over 230 miles and 10k feet (although I’m not entirely sure that’s right)

That’s worthy of a “chapeau”!

MrNice
    Free Member

mtbel has joined a thread, 8 pages in, to criticize someone he has history with for stalking behaviour. What could be confusing about that!

as for the rest of the thread, it’s interesting to see how you compare and there are clearly some very fast people out there. Not saying that because they’re quicker than me – it’s not difficult – but it’s interesting just how much quicker they are. But then that’s when the arguing started, isn’t it…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Trouble is that it’s a ‘stock’ question among testers isn’t it – what’s your PB? Why wouldn’t you want the fastest possible PB?

It is usually followed by a question about which course it was on (and what the winning time was too). Plenty of gift courses out there and testers tend to know which they are and will judge your response accordingly 🙂

Here’s my willy waving 17mph average over 230 miles and 10k feet

Now that is a ride worthy of a willy wave!

saynotobasemiles
    Free Member

njee20- I think the marginal gains aspect, aero wheels, aero lid, fast tyres etc is great and part of the attraction of the sport. But some plonker who had a float day on a fast course dropping his pb into every conversation makes me laugh. Did you win or podium and against who is a better reflection.

molgrips
    Free Member

but 300m in 20 miles is far from flat

That’s quite flat by my standards.

njee20
    Free Member

But some plonker who had a float day on a fast course dropping his pb into every conversation makes me laugh. Did you win or podium and against who is a better reflection.

Aye, that’s a good point – and as mrblobby says the serious guys will know the fast courses and which ones to dismiss. That said… if I was doing a short 21 (say) on a local course I’d be off to the fastest course in all the land and hoping for a still day!

mrblobby
    Free Member

That said… if I was doing a short 21 (say) on a local course I’d be off to the fastest course in all the land and hoping for a still day!

Many do. But what then? It’s much like any sort of racing where the fun is getting to know the people you compete against and seeing how you go against them on various courses, trying to get faster. Just having a big PB on a gift course doesn’t actually make you any faster. I guess it’s back to willy waving 🙂

gatsby
    Free Member

That’s quite flat by my standards.

I’d grade rides as Flat, Lumpy and Hilly.

300m in 20 miles is lumpy. Not hilly, not flat, lumpy.

nickc

Here’s my willy waving 17mph average over 230 miles and 10k feet

You wave that willy!!

There was nothing on the telly, right? 😉

Klunk
    Free Member

where are all these 20mph+ riders ? I pootle around 14mph (maybe 15 on a good day with the right wind) I’ve done over 1500 road miles this year not been passed by anyone 😕

njee20
    Free Member

Just having a big PB on a gift course doesn’t actually make you any faster.

True, it’s completely psychological, and like I say, it’s a bit like all the kit advantages. If you go and buy a TT bike you don’t get any faster, but you do. If you know what I mean!

Qualifying which course it’s on isn’t really any different to having to say what bike you did it on.

I think the novelty of driving for hours to ride for 20 minutes would fast wear off for me!

andytherocketeer

ditto.
    but only been passed by blimmin e-bikes doing 16mph with someone barely twiddling the pedals with either clown-style foot positioning or tips of toes on pedals (surely that must cramp)

mrblobby
    Free Member

where are all these 20mph+ riders ? I pootle around 14mph (maybe 15 on a good day with the right wind) I’ve done over 1500 road miles this year not been passed by anyone

Have a look at the web page of your local cycling club. Check out the TT results. Have a look at the regular names in the top 10. Search for them in Strava. Have a look at their rides. Have a look at who they follow (probably be some cat2/cat3 racers.) It’s pretty easy to figure out who the faster riders in your area are.

True, it’s completely psychological, and like I say, it’s a bit like all the kit advantages. If you go and buy a TT bike you don’t get any faster, but you do. If you know what I mean!

Yeah, I thought this, but with kit it’s more about having a level playing field with the folk you race against.

gatsby
    Free Member

I think also, as MrBlobby alluded to earlier, you can learn a lot about what works for you from trying to get more aero and that understanding helps general riding and racing.

I find TTing very good for pedaling technique and discipline.

nickc

Have a look at the web page of your local cycling club. Check out the TT results. Have a look at the regular names in the top 10. Search for them in Strava. Have a look at their rides. Have a look at who they follow (probably be some cat2/cat3 racers.) It’s pretty easy to figure out who the faster riders in your area are.

Worrying levels of internet stalkerishness right there… 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

Worrying levels of internet stalkerishness right there…

Haha, just to clarify that is not what I do! Just knowing most of the faster riders in my area through club and racing, that would be one way of finding them.

egb81
    Free Member

300m climbing in 20miles is pretty flat, even for a southern softy like me.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Njee – I’m not getting into the argument but I live and ride in the same area as gatsby ( my name has even appeared on some of the segs of the rides he’s linked, near the top, obviously 😉 ) and some of the averages he’s quoting are perfectly doable.

gatsby
    Free Member

Andy, Njee’s not disputing that they’re doable, he’s just going through my rides, finding all the recovery rides, rides on novelty bikes, rides with sick children etc, and using those to refute my claim that I aim for 20mph and often succeed.

I think it’s a southern thing!

And thanks for the kudos, you’ve got some good times there!

njee20
    Free Member

some of the averages he’s quoting are perfectly doable.

Of course they are, I’ve never said anything to the contrary. Thing is… he’s not doing them!

As planned, had a bit of a go on the way home, not totally circular as I didn’t work from home, but a relatively stiff southerly/south easterly breeze meant a lot of time in the wind. Flat, with less than 600ft of climbing, but not a total shocker.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It can be done! 🙂

Btw, no power data njee? Is the PowerTap well and truly dead?

gatsby
    Free Member

I’ve posted various rides at 20mph, I’m really now at a loss as to what exactly you’re disputing!

Isn’t it time to stop being silly?

molgrips
    Free Member

Last time this came up I went out and tried to bag a 20mph. I failed by a small amount – I worked out that a 30 second wait at some lights was enough to cost me a 20mph average. That’s really all it takes.

gatsby
    Free Member

That’s my point molgrips. And seeing as it’s not a time trial, if I asked you how fast you went and you told me 20mph, I wouldn’t trawl through your Strava account and try to humiliate you as a liar and a charlatan. I’d let you call it 20mph… The cycling equivalent of a golfer’s gimme.

Only a bellend would split hairs.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

I reckon a psychiatrist would have a field day with Gatsby. For someone so adamant about their own capabilities and with such an easy tool at their disposal (Strava) to prove it, there is a damning lack of evidence.

An admirable quantity of hot air and bluster for no conceivable benefit. What would the internet be without him eh?

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 521 total)

The topic ‘Roadies whats your average speed?’ is closed to new replies.