Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Roadies to the forum!
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

I’ve never embraced the dark side and have been faithful to mtb since virtually giving up running 10 years ago. However, I am looking to buy a holiday home in the Roadie paradise that is Puerto Pollensa and as such will enjoy road riding out there. It seems buying a bike out there isn’t a very good idea, so will buy one here and take it out there.

However, I don’t really know much about road bikes, so hoping for some advice in picking up a sale bike that will suit my needs. My needs are: decent quality, but not OTT, I’m 6′ 4″, 220lbs and want something that will get me up the big ascents and back down again without trying to break any records.

Your ideas/thoughts would be welcome.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They never leave!!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve just bought one of these as a winter Bike..

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-CAAD-Optimo-Disc-Tiagra-2017-Road-Bike_96364.htm

Entry level groupset that works fine, disc brakes, and cheap as chips.

I’ve changed the bars,stem/seatpost, down to personal preference, but hey.

Spotty Dog IMHO.

YMMV.

stever
    Free Member

Nice – assumed that was something pricier when I saw it on your Instagram 🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Nice – assumed that was something pricier when I saw it on your Instagram

Nah, it for our local roads, in winter..so cheap and cheerful. 🙂

Tempted with the DA equipped one come the summer, mind..

ogden
    Free Member

Giant Defy?

prawny

I think almost any modern £1000-2000 bike would be strong enough to carry your weight and more than likely geared to get up anything.

A few years ago standard bottom gear was 34/25 now its normally 34/30 I don’t think you can really go wrong these days unless you buy a proper BSO.

I spent £400 on my Saracen commuter, it rides as well if not better than the Boardman road bike I bought 5 or 6 years before than got amazing reviews.

If I was leaving it in majorca I probably wouldn’t worry too much about disc brakes or mudguards 😉

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Great deals on ex-hire bikes right now in Alcudia… seriously do try some of the hire companies as they often get rid of bikes after one year as many people want to hire this years bike not last years…
    Was out there a few weeks ago and was tempted by an ex-hire Cervello with Di2 and discs for €900

HTTP404
    Free Member

It’s now semi-compact. 52/36 out front and a 11/28 or 11/30 out back.
    Gives a better range than a full-compact.
    Shimano 105 is where the groupset really starts to pick-up in the Shimano range. 11-speed and a fair bit lighter in weight than the Tiagra offering below and not a great deal costlier either.
    Above this – you have Ultegra and Dura-Ace. Of course – you could also be looking at SRAM or Campagnolo too.
    Wheels tend to be the main thing manufacturers save money on – and assume you will want to budget for your own after-market wheels at some stage.
    If you haven’t been on a road bike in a while – perhaps look for more of a sportive or endurance geometry. That’s basically a slightly more upright ride and a more compliant frame. Other than that – pretty difficult to buy a dog of a bike these days.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Great deals on ex-hire bikes right now in Alcudia.

Interesting, as I don’t particularly want to carry it out there!

Thanks Tee, but do you think that being a bit competitive 😳 I might soon want something a bit quicker? I noticed a lot of swanky looking bikes out there last week and I wouldn’t want people pointing and laughing as they ride past me! 🙂

mogrim

It seems buying a bike out there isn’t a very good idea, so will buy one here and take it out there.

Why not? Living in Spain I use Spanish shops all the time… some are better, some are worse: same as anywhere else.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Why not? Living in Spain I use Spanish shops all the time… some are better, some are worse: same as anywhere else.

You may well be right, but in Mallorca its a bit smaller with less choice, less competition and compared with online UK companies, just not the same amount of options.

Happy to be put right though with any evidence. Sounds like Dicky will know more?

NigE5
    Free Member

Pop along to Aldudia and try British tour company Sunvelo they have ex hire bikes for sale BMC & Ridleys, 105 group sets. Check out their web site
    These bike have been up the big climbs, you just have to peddle them

NZCol

I’d send the rental shops in PP a few emails asking if they have anything they want to shift. Given the number of bikes that Pinarello rental place holds I’m sure they will, and that’s just in PP. Alcudia has some as well.

jonnyboi

buy a bike from decathlon whilst you are out there. Loads of decent stuff at all prices.

Best value/component spec for me is the ultra 900af

https://www.decathlon.es/C-1020936-bicicletas-de-carrera

Rockape63
    Free Member

Giant Defy?

Looks nice!

Anyway thanks for your help, its very helpful and I’ll look at everything more closely when I’m ready.

tonyg2003

At 6ft 4inches and 220lbs I’d probably suggest a 50/34 and a 28 or 30 max sprocket at the back. There are some longish and/or steeper climbs that you might want to ride from PP. Also if you are out there soon you might be able to pick up a end of season hire bike from one of the many shops out there. I’d expect that they might have the odd XL that they would like to shift.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Depends on your budget and whether you think it might get closer to the £900 I paid for last years model back in May, in a similar promo code sale…

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/road-bikes/cube-attain-gtc-pro-disc-2017-carbon-road-bike-grey_373882 £1150 with current SAVE100 promo code, plus check if you can do Topcashback (I couldn’t, but then mine was a steal).

Mine is a 58cm, with ~389mm reach and 610mm stack. For someone 5’10”, I have the torso of someone more typically ~6’1″ and stumpy ~32.5″ cycling inseam legs.

~9Kg bike, nice comfy riding position that doesn’t aggravate my lower back, nice robust carbon frame. Easily takes 28mm tyres, allegedly can take up to 31s, but haven’t got any that size to try.

Depending upon your proportions, you would probably want the 60cm or 62cm version.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Roadies to the forum!’ is closed to new replies.