Roadies- RS 80 or Hope hoops?

Home Forum Bike Forum Roadies- RS 80 or Hope hoops?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Roadies- RS 80 or Hope hoops?
  • Rorschach

Hopes….rs80’s are only 16/20 spoke and the hubs are not particularly well sealed (owner of both).
    I rebuilt my rs80 rims on different hubs when they died (too much cx use!)
    I’ve got some spare unused Pro3 hubs (28/32 black).I could build them up if you wanted.

reggiegasket

Hopes. RS80s are for nice days.

fisha

If your light, the RS80’s would possibly suffice, but I found they made my bike very ‘on its toes’ and quite stiff and more suited to smooth road only and going fast type riding.. I pinged a spoke in them recently, so whilst they’ve been repaired, they’ve been relegated.

I replaced them with a set of hope hubs laced onto 32h Mavic CXP33 rims. A good bit stronger, and a bit heavier, but its what I need for my weight to be honest. The bike now feels a little bit more supple, smoother and as if it’s coping much more easily with the bumps of the road. Hard to describe I suppose.

Given what your describe, and having had the experience of the lighter wheels, I’d always go the stronger route these days.

Does it have to be hope hoops? Speak to the nearest best wheel building shop and see what you can get for £300. There are plenty of options out there. Although I went hope for the bling colour ( sad eh? ) I would also be happy with a set of Shimano hubs (ultegra likely) on the same rims. that route would have been cheaper.

Rorschach

OI!! I astroturfed first,get in the queue you interloping blaggard 👿
    (edit-I build wheels for wages btw 8) )

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

I paid £179.95 (rear) and £109.95 (front) at Merlin for these and will let them go for £250 shipped in the UK.

Aside from interloping you’re asking for just 13% less than you paid for them. Good luck with that!

To the OP – I’d be getting Hopes.

Aside from interloping you’re asking for just 13% less than you paid for them. Good luck with that!

To the OP – I’d be getting Hopes.

Thanks for the maths lesson, you’re entitled to your opinion.

Rorschach

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c[/video]

glupton1976

I paid £179.95 (rear) and £109.95 (front) at Merlin for these and will let them go for £250 shipped in the UK.

Would they be the same as the ones I bought new from Merlin yesterday for £268 posted?

OI!! I astroturfed first,get in the queue you interloping blaggard
    (edit-I build wheels for wages btw )

No interference intended, I assumed that the OP was talking about the factory built ‘Hope Hoops’ rather than hand built wheels.

Would they be the same as the ones I bought new from Merlin yesterday for £268 posted?

Very impressive if you did, the rear Shimano compatible ones have been out of stock there for over a week, and the fronts are also currently out of stock.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/wheels/road-wheels/factory-road-wheels/hope-hoops-pro3-rs-mono-open-pro.html

What’s your point?

jkomo

Need some cheap ish road wheels for a fat knacker.
    Both of these around £300, bit which ones would cope with commuting, the odd bunny hop and general misuse?

What’s your point?

Sell em for a reasonable price I’d guess.

glupton1976

[/quote]Very impressive if you did, the rear Shimano compatible ones have been out of stock there for over a week, and the fronts are also currently out of stock.

Who mentioned anything about Shimano. Also – the fronts went out of stock around half ten last night. 😉

If you can get £250 for your set good luck to you. I hope you cant though. (did you see what I did there. 😉 )

dmc

Hope over Shimano any day better quality hubs better ride feel and easily repairable end off !

jkomo

So, it’s the Hopes, thanks.
    If anyone wants to send me a quote email is in profile.
    Cheers

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Roadies- RS 80 or Hope hoops?’ is closed to new replies.