Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Roadies – how/why do you do it?!
  • ta11pau1

I try and keep off main roads as much as possible, my mileage on these roads in the last 6 months is probably less than 20 miles, but my god, when I’m forced to ride on the road (fastest route for commuting) if it’s not 1 in 5 cars passing close enough that I could grab onto a door handle and get a lift, it’s a sodding Travis perkins truck pulling out on me on a roundabout, queue hard braking, rear wheel locking up and bike sideways slightly. Followed by some language by me. If I’d caught him at the lights I would have done something I’d have regeetted.

Anyway… (woosah, woosah) why on earth do roadies choose to ride on these roads? I know it’s not for ‘fun’ as they don’t do fun, but jesus christ, I feel safer on my motorbike at 70mph than on my bicycle at 20mph on a main road.

TL:DR – some drivers are idiots, and it’s bloody stressful riding on the road.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Because it’s still better than driving to and from work every day plus I can eat anything I want without gaining weight.

kerley
    Free Member

I know it’s not for ‘fun’ as they don’t do fun,

I enjoy riding on the road, it is fun. You may need to check your prejudices about a group of people.

ta11pau1

Note that I’m not meaning commuting as that’s also why I’m on the road (if I’m out on the mtb or gravel bike for fun I don’t do main roads) – if you commute by bicycle you generally have to use some road – it’s people who choose to ride on these roads for ‘pleasure’…

whitestone
    Free Member

It does depend where you live and which roads you ride, some roads are fine, others not. Once you know the bad ones you work out routes to avoid them.

As @kerley says, it is fun.

trumpton
    Free Member

The amount of potholes around would scare me off of a roadbike not the roads themselves.

v7fmp

I do wonder this at times.

Sometimes it cant be helped, as its the only route, but a lot of the time there will be safer, quieter roads to ride on, albeit with a distance penalty.

Recently near me a cyclist was tragically killed. He was riding on a dual carriageway (driver error caused the collision and subsequent death). There is a cycle route, with cycle lane, that runs on a road that is parallel to the dual carriage way, but that is slightly longer. I wonder why someone would choose the dual carriageway over the other route, when the risks are much higher.

I am threatening to ride to work. Sussex council have an online route planner which takes you along cycle lanes and diverts you to the quieter roads away from the main roads, which is the route I will take.

It could be argued that quieter roads are equally risky, as people may be less aware of cyclists etc, but I suspect someone reversing out of their drive into you at 15mph would be a sight better than being rear ended at 70…..

On a different note, nothing boils my urine more than cyclist on the road when there is a fully functioning cycle lane right next to it…… grrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaahhhhhhyooouuuidiotz

MrPottatoHead

I can ride for hours on B roads around here and barely see a single person. I wouldn’t ride the main roads for fun.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Until you go exploring, you can be so near to pleasant, low traffic roads and be completely oblivious to it.

I’ve lived within a few miles of Southampton City centre since September 1992, using a bike to get around, but I very rarely did recreational rides because the roads I knew were often quite hostile. Little did I know until April 2017, that Hortons Heath was literally a few miles away and an effective gateway to loads of quiet roads and lanes on the West side of the South Downs.

Back at Southampton uni in 92, I knew folks who seemed quite keen cyclists, but I never knew where they went. If any of them were regularly heading off to the likes of Old Winchester Hill, I so wish they had told me and dragged me along, it would have got me into recreational road cycling at a far more suitable age!

But even now, I’m still very wary of heading out or getting back around rush hours and school run times, because my preferred route involves crossing two busy roads close to home.

lunge

Different roads for different purposes.

My commute involves some time on the kind of roads you describe, it’s not ideal but it either that or add 50% to the mileage. I actually quite enjoy some of it, particularly the urban stuff, as it’s a bit of a battle of skills and wits against other traffic.

But when riding for pleasure then quiet lanes and b-roads are the way forward, I can pretty much ride for as far as I want and not touch a major road. The pleasure then comes from being outside in the country side, from going fast and from the effort being put in.

globalti
    Free Member

After 21 years of mud and wet and the huge rate of attrition to kit I lost my mountain biking mojo and started road cycling when I was given a bike. From where I live I can head south into the conurbation of the Lancashire mill towns where the roads and traffic are horrible, so I never go there, but if I head north I’m in the lovely Ribble Valley or the Bowland Fells, which are a joy to ride. What I really enjoy is the feeling of being able to travel on the bike and cover lots of ground with very little effort.

geomickb
    Free Member

Last time I had a road bike, I hated it, I was scared of the hills (no granny ring!) so I kept heading out to Cheshire on busy roads.

Now I have accidentally bought a CX, I am heading out towards The Peak more and have found lots of quiet B roads. I can sometimes go out for a couple of hours without seeing a car.

I only had time for a quick ride last night so popped out on the MTB. Straight down a disused railway, stopping every couple of minutes to avoid loose dogs or dog owners with 300m extended leads (it was peak dog walking time). Then through the woods to get covered with mud. Arrived home, bike and me filthy after just an hours easy ride.

Don’t get me wrong, I love getting out on the MTB for long rides in The Peak but when I just want a quick one from the house, I’m finding that the CX is winning.

Mick

jimdubleyou

On a different note, nothing boils my urine more than cyclist on the road when there is a fully functioning cycle lane right next to it…… grrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaahhhhhhyooouuuidiotz

Are you sure it’s fully functioning, or (more likely) is it a poorly designed bit of paint not suitable for travelling over 10 mph?

corroded
    Free Member

I’m highly selective about the roads I ride, always avoiding A roads and some of the busier Bs. I’m lucky that’s possible where I live. On some of the lanes a gravel bike is more appropriate. I agree that the driving and volume of traffic on many roads is terrifying today.

bob_summers

Haven’t ridden since Xmas when I started running, but I do miss it (and MTB). I’ve always loved big days out on both road and trail*, but midweek the road is the easiest option to get solid training in.

* Road, for a long ride with a club or mates, and MTB for disappearing into the hills getting lost on my own for hours.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

As mentioned depends on your area. I’d say that in my immediate area the road cycling is better. Loads of quite roads some fantastic descents and climbs. I find the cycling to places quite satisfying, and cycling a century say also gives a level of satisfaction. I do see your point of view though, there are places that I wouldn’t consider road cycling, often they are like what you mention.

sockpuppet

I wonder why someone would choose the dual carriageway over the other route, when the risks are much higher.

Without knowing the road I can’t tell, but there are many possible reasons. The cycle route alternatives are often poorly maintained, overgrown, full of litter, moss/slime can make them very slippery. They are often obstructed by signposts, lamp posts, bus stops. They often stop without giving you a good route on, or go far out of the way, or disappear right where there is least space and where protection from cars is most needed, only to reappear after the danger spot. They are often shared use, putting you in potential conflict with pedestrians with very different needs & speeds.

It may be that none of these apply, and the lane is adequate. Or maybe even good. Often this isn’t the case. If it was a good, safe reasonalby direct alternative I’d probably use it. But….

On a different note, nothing boils my urine more than cyclist on the road when there is a fully functioning cycle lane right next to it……

You need to review your selfish attitude. They are another perfectly legal road user. A more vulnerable one at that. They have the right to use the road no matter what you think, and you have a legal responsibility to act so that you do not endanger them. Even if they are acting in a way you don’t like.

You have a legal responsibility not to endanger them.

And a moral one. The fact there is a cycle path alternative doesn’t change that.

Superficial
    Free Member

There are roads, and there are roads. I wouldn’t cycle for enjoyment on the roads I commute along, but if I go in the other direction (away from town) I can get some amazing scenery, with lovely roads and no traffic.

If you are the kind of MTBer that gets any enjoyment from the pain / pleasure of beating your mates up a climb, then road riding is like that x10. I think I’ll always prefer riding my MTB but road riding is ace too!

DezB
    Free Member

On a different note, nothing boils my urine more than cyclist on the road when there is a fully functioning cycle lane right next to it……

You mean a separate, smoothly finished, unobstructed, going all the way to the destination, unshared cycle path yeah? If you mean most of the ones round here, where the surface is unfinished, they go past drop kerb house entrances, are shared with pedestrians and their dogs, have junctions every 100metres with “cyclist dismount” signs, then you need to **** off and find another forum where all your fellow bigoted car drivers hang out.

simondbarnes

Please post your driving license back to the DVLA and never get into the driver’s seat of a car ever again. Many thanks.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

OP is a strange one. He should be on a car forum as he seems to hate cyclists. On you go pal go and have some banter with your petrolhead mates and keep away from the cycling forums.

lllnorrislll
    Free Member

1 – 1.5 hour drive to the nearest trail kills it when time poor. As 2 hours out the door road cycling is far more convenient. Choice of route is important, as normal commute route can be a battle, but quiet country roads still mean you are often on your guard, but can be fun for the majority of the time.

TiRed

Other roads are available. Find better routes for training. I have a nice 100 km loop that takes 3-3.5 hours, covers lanes, and the odd A road, has a few sets of lights and is generally rather pleasant. I ride it both directions.

kid.a
    Free Member

Don’t ride A roads! Or busy roads in general! No fun in that for anyone.

I love road cycling, on those lovely quiet back country lanes. We just head out of town on the quickest route poss to get away from the traffic. Once into the countryside, road cycling is really amazing. Smooth and fast. Cover large distances, taking in lovely villages and scenery. Really really love it

willalone
    Free Member

For me its a bit like using tarmac roads to connect up off road trails when I’m on my mountainbike, they’re a necessary evil to get to where I want to be. My ‘road’ commute (25 miles) is 90% back roads, 5% bridleway and 5% main road. I have to use the main road bits to connect up the route, other than developing the ability to fly I have no choice 🙂
    There is a statistic somewhere about the majority of road traffic deaths are actually on back roads..

MoreCashThanDash

I cover 3-4000 miles a year on road, anywhere between 50-100 miles a week, commuting, club rides, just for fun. I maybe get 1 bad pass/pull out a month.

I don’t ever feel so intimidated by bad driving that I want to quit road riding. Maybe it’s how I ride, where I ride, maybe my threshold of what is shit driving has adjusted, maybe I’m too damn stubborn to quit.

But you won’t see me riding a proper red route at a trail centre, my skill and experience level don’t give me that confidence. Maybe it’s just what we get used to.

chrisbirrell
    Free Member

It’s perfectly legal to ride in the road next to a cycle path, much in the same way it is legal to walk down the middle of a main road rather than down the pavement next to it, being legal doesn’t make it any less ****. What it says is that they value a few seconds of their time more highly than minutes of dozens or hundreds of other peoples time stuck behind them for no reason. Utter selfishness in other words.

There is a prime example of this on my way home from work, a big wide clear marked cycle path right next to the carriageway of an extremely busy NSL road which most of the cyclists use but a few of the more angry faced lycra warriors insist on riding in the road with giant queues of traffic behind trying to squeeze past.

I’m entirely pro cycling over car use wherever possible but that sort of needlessly knobbish behavior contributes to the conflict and negative attitudes between road users and hence indirectly endangers all cyclists.

Back to the case in point though, I agree that riding on fast busy roads is miserable but quiet country lanes are very enjoyable.

v7fmp

I’m glad someone is on the same page as me @chrisbirrell . I am pro-cycling, hence saying I am considering cycling to work, outside of my love for mountain bikes.

Clearly not all cycles lanes are perfect, but the ones around me, from what I can tell are perfectly usable by all, as shown by the number of people using them. Obviously people choose not to and obviously I drive past them with the same care as I do when passing any cyclist in any other situation. So my driving licence will be staying with me, despite the silly comments.

it just puzzles me why some folk choose not to use them and rather risk a busy road. As some folk do get equally annoyed, but don’t have the respect that some of us do and will pass close, make a dangerous move etc.

I guess you make your choice, roll the dice and play the game….

TheBrick
    Free Member

Not answering the question but riding in traffic is a particular skill that not many people have. Even many people who do lots of road miles. It’s different to driving. I used to have loads of issues like you discibe but although I still get issues they are much less frequent.

As for ride riding for pleasure it’s about exploring imo, but that’s why I only like remote road riding.

philjunior
    Free Member

t’s perfectly legal to ride in the road next to a cycle path, much in the same way it is legal to walk down the middle of a main road rather than down the pavement next to it, being legal doesn’t make it any less ****. What it says is that they value a few seconds of their time more highly than minutes of dozens or hundreds of other peoples time stuck behind them for no reason. Utter selfishness in other words.

Really, you reckon in rush hour this is the effect? If it’s that busy that people are going to lose minutes, I can’t believe they wouldn’t actually be stuck in traffic anyway.

Also, until you try some of these “fully functioning” cycle paths, you don’t realise how shit they can be. For instance the “national cycle network” route I took which started nice tarmac, with the odd lump from roots, but perfectly acceptable. Then a couple of miles in deteriorated to, variously, potholed gravel land rover track, muddy farm track, and at one point singletrack! This was far busier than many of the minor roads I cycled on that day, so I really can’t see the justification for sending cyclists down it without putting an adequate surface on it, unless the whole exercise is merely to pat one’s self on the back, then feel blameless when cyclists continue to be killed on main roads. I saw one pair of cyclists repairing a puncture, undoubtedly caused by the poor surface.

Painted on lanes are obviously worst, especially when people are allowed to park in them (I fail to see the point). I’ve been beeped at when the cycle lane is icy/snowy and I’m out in the clear road. **** self centered idiots in their tin boxes.

There’s stuff you can do to encourage people not to do silly things, but a lot of them are counter-intuitive, and the culture in this country in general and shown even by other cyclists on this thread in particular is that cyclists are just “in the way” and some sort of second class citizen that can’t use their right to be on the road, or be provided with a viable alternative.

sockpuppet

What it says is that they value a few seconds of their time more highly than minutes of dozens or hundreds of other peoples time stuck behind them for no reason.

If you ever find a cyclist with *hundreds* of people stuck behind them and the cyclist is the sole cause, then post up some evidence and I’ll give you £5.

If you’re on the road in a car and you’re stuck behind others, you’re not stuck in traffic: you are traffic. You are part of the problem.

I doubt bikes actually delay folk, they simply get to the next queue a little later.

The actual issue is people in cars risking the safety of folk on bikes with shitty close passes for “a few seconds” of their time

simondbarnes

It’s perfectly legal to ride in the road next to a cycle path, much in the same way it is legal to walk down the middle of a main road rather than down the pavement next to it, being legal doesn’t make it any less ****. What it says is that they value a few seconds of their time more highly than minutes of dozens or hundreds of other peoples time stuck behind them for no reason. Utter selfishness in other words.

Please post your driving license back to the DVLA and never get into the driver’s seat of a car ever again. Many thanks. I shouldn’t have to share roads with utter **** like you.

imnotverygood

it just puzzles me why some folk choose not to use them and rather risk a busy road.

So either these people are completely irrational or have you considered that there might conceivably be a reason for them to do what they do?

scotroutes

What it says is that they value a few seconds of their time more highly than minutes of dozens or hundreds of other peoples time stuck behind them for no reason.

When I used to commute through Edinburgh it was the cars holding up the cyclists. Selfish bastards!

philjunior
    Free Member

Glad to see the thread has swung and my post is bang on trend, if a bit more angry than most.

maccruiskeen

I feel safer on my motorbike at 70mph than on my bicycle at 20mph on a main road.

the statistics suggest you’re ‘feelings’ shouldn’t be trusted. Not that theres any excuses for close passes and all sorts of smidsy behaviour but you’re largely talking about things that you’re frightened of, but haven’t actually happened. You’ve ridden those roads, in that traffic, and apart from a few surprises you’re still alive.

Perhaps cyclists who cycle on busy roads regularly have learned not to be frightened about this stuff

v7fmp

Possibly the scariest thing about this thread is that so many people think that others will use their ‘tin boxes’ as a lethal weapon.

Whilst I personally made the comment about getting annoyed at people not using cycles lanes (when as mentioned are fully functioning I.E. in good condition and suitable for the bike they are on), at no point in my life has it ticked me off so much that I would try and pass dangerously, cause harm or even roll down the window and share my opinion.

If this is the first thought that comes into your mind when reading my comments, I feel sorry for the world you live in. It must be miserable.

And just for the record, I also think smoking fags and drinking energy drinks is a poor life choice, but I would never mount the kerb and mow someone down to share my views on life. Get a grip……

chiefgrooveguru

“What I really enjoy is the feeling of being able to travel on the bike and cover lots of ground with very little effort.”

Is this an ebike thread?

Bez

What it says is that they value a few seconds of their time more highly than minutes of dozens or hundreds of other peoples time stuck behind them for no reason. Utter selfishness in other words.

Gammon

sockpuppet

Possibly the scariest thing about this thread is that so many people think that others will use their ‘tin boxes’ as a lethal weapon.

Whilst I personally made the comment about getting annoyed at people not using cycles lanes (when as mentioned are fully functioning I.E. in good condition and suitable for the bike they are on), at no point in my life has it ticked me off so much that I would try and pass dangerously, cause harm or even roll down the window and share my opinion.

If this is the first thought that comes into your mind when reading my comments, I feel sorry for the world you live in. It must be miserable

Well, the chap who used his car to physically push me out of the lane I was in earlier this year was happy to. After all he wanted to overtake, and there was no room. What was he to do? Wait? Of course he didn’t. When faced with a choice of stopping or hitting me, he chose not to stop…
    He knew I was there, after all he just tried to overtake.
    Reported to the police, but no witnesses so no prosecution.

Anyway, I’m sure most don’t intend to actually use their vehicle as a weapon, but they seem happy to take the risk that they might do it by mistake.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Roadies – how/why do you do it?!’ is closed to new replies.