Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • Roadies…
  • binners

Thaaaaarsands of ’em!!!

It seems like the combination of the weather and the tour has brought ’em all out in force. This mornings commute, which normally only sees the odd fellow cyclist, was instead a sea of badly fitting team-replica lycra, and gleaming, never-seen-rain, mid-life-crisis, race missiles.

I hope it stops equally as quickly as it started. There’s nothing more unpleasant of a morning, than being repeatedly overtaken by them, and to then be treated to a wobbly, middle-aged mans bottom in garish team kit lycra in front of you, arse in the air as he’s on the drops. Bleeuuuurgh!

There is some consolation I suppose. Smiling and nodding enthusiastically at the ones heading the other way. To be studiously ignored with that fixed-straight-ahead, oh-so-serious, totally joyless look on the faces. Like they’re not extracting a single molicule of enjoyment out of the whole experience.

Please make it stop! The sooner golf is the new golf, the better IMHO 😉

LapSteel
    Free Member

Its like the Ladybird invasion of 1976……..sort of

jools182
    Free Member

There’s nothing more unpleasant of a morning, than being repeatedly overtaken by them, and to then be treated to a wobbly, middle-aged mans bottom in garish team kit lycra in front of you, arse in the air as he’s on the drops. Bleeuuuurgh!

There is some consolation I suppose. Smiling and nodding enthusiastically at the ones heading the other way. To be studiously ignored with that fixed-straight-ahead, oh-so-serious, totally joyless look on the faces. Like they’re not extracting a single molicule of enjoyment out of the whole experience.

Please make it stop! The sooner golf is the new golf, the better IMHO

😀

stevied
    Free Member

There’s nothing more unpleasant of a morning, than being repeatedly overtaken by them, and to then be treated to a wobbly, middle-aged mans bottom in garish team kit lycra in front of you, arse in the air as he’s on the drops. Bleeuuuurgh!

Get quicker then 😉

jam-bo

Must be a local thing. I find most roadies down here in pastyland pretty cheerful.

wwaswas

Thaaaaarsands of ’em!!!

that made me lol 🙂

stevious

YEAH!

There’s NOTHING WORSE than OTHER PEOPLE also enjoying a sport that I ENJOY.

scaredypants

There’s nothing more unpleasant of a morning, than being repeatedly overtaken

😥

binners

Nobody I saw looked like they were enjoying anything about it. Did you miss that bit? It was sort of the point.

When I’m riding, I have 2 facial expressions

Climbs – an over-ripe tomato being inflated with the machine you pump your car tyres up with at the garage

Downhills – like a particularly daft labrador that’s just had a massive poo AND found a big stick

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Can see you now Binners using your best/worst cockney Micheal Caine voice….

“Don’t you point that bloody bike pump at me”

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

One of them lot waved at me the other day…i nearly fell off in shock. Buoyed by the experience, I cheerily waved at the next one I saw a mile or 2 later and got completely blanked. Funny bunch them.

bencooper
    Free Member

Ah MAMILs. They’re banned from my shop after two of them stood in sweaty lycra and loudly discussed whether to “pack north” was a good idea.

Mister-P
    Free Member

More people on bikes = less people in cars. That has to be a good thing?

jameso

: )

They must be all those riders that say they’re ‘serious’ cyclists then.

wors

I’m going to ride my nice carbon road bike (no team kit, sorry) up to the Rose and Crown repeatedly later, blasting out Mumford and Sons from my phone, just for Binners pleasure. 😀

persona
    Free Member

😆 @ ben

Edric64
    Free Member

I want golf to be the new golf for all forms of cycling . I much preferred quiet roads trails and cafes 30 years ago

Jamie
    Free Member

pastyland

I thought that’s where Binners lived?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m a roadie, fek orf 😆

But on a more serious note, I too hate this time of year. The Tour brings out shonky riding roadie groups of mates who miander and wobble all over MY lanes.. Gawd last night I was soooo annoyed, just out for a simple supper in a fabulous Gastro I found and what happens… ? A group of about 15 pink/blue/yellow emblazoned “faux” roadies hacking down one of MY lanes enjoying themselves.

Basterds, Englorious Barsteds

😆
    😆

boblo
    Free Member

I had one of the feckers trying to take a free wheel suck yesterday.

I spotted him, shiny kit and all stood by the roadside drinking (can’t drink and ride…). Next thing he’s on my wheel doing a stealthy suck. I was in the last couple of miles of a 100 (and a bit) and felt a bit fcked so couldn’t go any faster to drop him.

In the end, I stopped pedalling, waved him through with a cheery ‘you’re not getting a free pull you know’. Bastard.

brakes
    Free Member

there’s definitely Tour Fever in the air, especially as it’s sunny too. what I hate is when they try to play racies with you and start sucking your wheel, and don’t get the hint when you start weaving around to try and get rid. I’ve slammed on the brakes a couple of times which seems to give them the message to piss off.

EDIT: I don’t mind a little challenge and a bit of friendly competition, but wheel sucking is off the menu. especially up a hill, into a headwind. I’m looking at you Mr White Top Trek rider.

binners

Its where I dream of living Jamie!

Wors – I will be procuring firearms for this evening 😉

jamiea
    Free Member

It’s been quiet round here all summer, tho’ I was passed by one of those triathlete types this morning- I was taking it easy before tomorrows ride you see! Last year was much more fun in the SCR stakes. There are many more lycra clad ladies about tho’…

Cheers,
    Jamie

cookeaa

More people on bikes = less people in cars. That has to be a good thing?

Doesn’t mean they can’t be mocked though does it?

I’ve seen some corkers this past week or two But my favourite was on Tuesday – the ultimate Team Sky Fan-boi; full replica team kit, Dogma, rather Chunky, with his saddle way too low.
    I was tempted to shout “Crikey Brad, let the diet slip have we?!!?” but thought that was a bit too cruel so I gave him a nod instead (not returned)…

Some seem polite a fair majority blank you, the same faces I normally see cycling to/from work give you a nod/smile, commuters and “Proper” local roadies alike, it’s only the fair-weather cyclists all look too stern to actually be enjoying this weeks lifestyle choice…
    They’ll be onto something else by next Friday and normal service can be resumed…

bencooper
    Free Member

I do sometimes, when I’m bored, go out on a recumbent to tease them. Nothing winds them up more when they’re head down, pedaling like mad, to have someone in shorts and sandals stroll past waving cheerfully.

Sometimes I do a wee burst of speed just before I pass so I can do it freewheeling 😉

mboy
    Free Member

The sooner golf is the new golf, the better IMHO

😆

Where are my bats, The Open starts next week so it’s gotta be time that I dug em out my Dad’s shed and had a game, like everyone else! 😉

dazh

There’s loads more in South Manchester. I seem to have a commuter race every morning now when it used to be once in a blue moon. Lots of opportunities to perfect my nonchalant overtaking technique 🙂

According to Chris Boardman in his wind tunnel, someone drafting makes it easier for the rider in front by smoothing the airflow behind. Probably not at commuting speeds though.

bluebird
    Free Member

To be studiously ignored with that fixed-straight-ahead, oh-so-serious, totally joyless look on the faces.

Not wanting to stick up for roadies or anything, but that describes wannabe XC racer types quite well too.

njee20
    Free Member

If they’re quicker than you then either you’re really crap, or they’re not new riders, reinforced by the usage of the drops, a true MAMIL can’t reach, as their gut gets in the way.

I say hello to everyone, MTB or road, get ignored most by MTBers. As always though, WGAS?

crazy-legs

I was tempted to shout “Crikey Brad, let the diet slip have we?!!?” but thought that was a bit too cruel

Not at all and thank you for that phrase, I shall use it myself.
    😉

warton
    Free Member

I hope it stops equally as quickly as it started

really? you want there to be less bikes, and more cars on the road? anything that gets more people on bikes can only be a good thing, on so many levels.

Long may it continue,

binners

If they’re quicker than you then either you’re really crap, or they’re not new riders

Or I’m on a big lardy 5 inch full susser with 2.5 tyres on? 😉

I am crap though

Edric64
    Free Member

Less bikes and less cars would be good ,quiet Sunday rides ,no traffic ,no shopping centres open ,just like in the 70s and early 80s .Only downside not many cafes open either

klumpy
    Free Member

Hmm, is ever increasingly ‘out there’ modes of dress that attract the give it a goers?

Rubert the Bear trousers topped off with a sun visor thing for golfists, sponsor emblazoned hot pants and tube tops with clip cloppy tap shoes for the defectors to cycling.

I predict next year’s “golf” will be morris dancing or Mexican show wrestling! 😀

clubber
    Free Member

I cycled in on my road bike today. I even took my helmet peak off.

I did wave at an mtber though. Actually, no, I gave him a nod as I was breathing through my ears at the time. Muppet probably didn’t even notice.

Actually, that was probably you, wasn’t it, binners 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

When I’m on my road bike I plot the destruction of all mtbers and their silly baggies, oversized camelbaks and pointless helmet peaks.

When I’m on my mtb, I pray for the destruction of all roadies and their silly tight lycra, miserable expressions and high speeds.

When I’m on my cross bike I get very confused what to think.

samuri
    Free Member

The tour generates a target rich environment as far as I’m concerned.

What’s really great is having some chubby, sky-clad mamil lurch past with sweat pouring out of his helmet, thinking he’s faster than someone and then taking him on a journey of pain and suffering by passing him back and then keeping the pace nicely on the ‘I can just keep up’ threshold.

Thinking about it I could do with a mirror to save me having to keep checking where they are. Some of them die without any notificiation although I can usually hear them going through the gears once their legs explode.

Commuting is fun!

clubber
    Free Member

That’s just mean Samuri. But quite funny.

wwaswas

When I’m on my cross bike I get very confused what to think.

Do you cross dress?

baggies but peakless helmet?

Lycra and knee pads?

clubber
    Free Member

I was thinking full lycra but with full face helmet and a camelbak.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Roadies…’ is closed to new replies.