Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Roadie tyres, best bang per buck?
  • midlifecrashes

For a Giant SCR, riding back roads for fun, not speed. Mudguards on so max of 25 ish. Any bargains about? I haven’t a clue about roadie tyres, the ones I’m changing must be the originals on the bike and they are very stiff and lack grip when cold, and have picked up a couple of punctures recently so time for a change.

Pieface

I know little but Conti Gatorskins seem to be a popular choice

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I like Michelin Lithion 2s. Cheap, grippy, puncture resistant and reasonably fast.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

GP4000s.? Not cheap but an excellent tyre.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I like bonty hardcase for training tire

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

+1 for Gatorskins. Run them year round on mine.

mooman
    Free Member

Vredestein fortezza tricomp at £20 from Ribble.
    Grippy and great puncture resistance.
    115-175psi …they are not gonna pinch-flat!

stucol
    Free Member

Specialized All Condition Armadillos. 1500 miles so far on less than perfect Scottish roads and not a single puncture !

Used Bontrager Hardcase before them, tough tyre but not as grippy, got about 3000 miles out of the back one before it wore too thin and had blisters all the way round.

Schwalbe are good too. But liking the Armadillos best of all.

ChrisA
    Free Member

Another vote for GP4000s’s here

About £50 a pair from ribble if you get them on offer

Kiril
    Free Member

+1 for the GP’s

Rorschach
    Free Member

Planet X have got schwalbe blizzards for £6.99!! and duranos for £19.99.

CaptJon
    Free Member

GP4000s £40 from bike24 in Germany

StefMcDef
    Free Member

The own-brand Wilier tyres that came with my road bike are crap, puncture prone and not very grippy, so have been looking to upgrade them.

Did a bit of research into this before Christmas and the Vittoria Rubino Pro seemed to be getting a lot of love from real-world reviewers on Wiggle, CRC and elsewhere.

Now have a pair that I was bought for Christmas with red go-faster stripes on them. 😛 Will be fitting them later today and going for a spin to see how much faster they make me go.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

Another one for the GP4000, great tyre

flap_jack
    Free Member

Gator Skins.

Charity ride Luton to Rome last year, 100+ miles a day over some very dodgy backroads.

No-one with Gator Skins got a puncture. Everyone else did.

Rear worn out after 1250 miles though…

lunge

Schwalbe ultremo zx are £19 each at planet x and are fantastic tyres. Only in silly colours at that price though.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Gatorskins here for touring. Maybe 1500Km on them so far, 1000 of them loaded. Zero p**ctures. I’m running 28’s which are nice and comfy and fast enough.
    Retail at 50 for the pair including tubes.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Conti gp 4 seasons on my commuter.

Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX on my road bike.

Both good tyres, the vittoria is by far the best tyre I’ve ever used.

Hated bontrager hardcase tyres, didn’t find the very puncture proof or hard wearing and they felt horrible to ride.

crazy-legs

Schwalbe ultremo zx are £19 each at planet x and are fantastic tyres.

They are but they cut up easily – I’d only ever use them for racing or for riding on good quality roads.
    The Schwalbe Durano S tryes are very good, they do a slightly more basic, tougher version as well.

Otherwise Specialized Roubaix tyres are a good compromise between light weight and toughness/comfort.

samuri
    Free Member

Another GP4000 vote here. Grippy, highly puncture resistant and extremely long lasting.

BigJohn

If you pump them up using the machine at a petrol station you’ll get a really loud bang for only 20p.

Taff
    Free Member

Planet X have got schwalbe blizzards for £6.99!!

+1 here, finding them awesome

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I use the Schwalbe Blizzards for winter miles in 25c and Ultremo ZX in the better weather at those prices from Planet X you can’t beat ’em.

I can’t stand Gatorskins, found them quite dangerous in fact, not at all grippy. Infact I don’t rate Conti tyres for anything, had GP4000 when I used to race on a road team and didn’t like them at all…

Bigger aspect is rather not ‘which tyres?’ but what pressure? Some one up there saying 115-175psi WHAT! never! 100psi is all the air you’ll need in a road going tyre unless you’re 100kg. in 83kg and run 100 max in good weather and decent roads and drop to 80-85psi for rainy weather and winter training.

mooman
    Free Member

Blazin-saddles – Member
    Bigger aspect is rather not ‘which tyres?’ but what pressure? Some one up there saying 115-175psi WHAT! never! 100psi is all the air you’ll need in a road going tyre unless you’re 100kg. in 83kg and run 100 max in good weather and decent roads and drop to 80-85psi for rainy weather and winter training.

80 – 85psi??? on winter roads?? I would pinch flat within the hour 🙁
    How heavy .. or should that be, how light are you?
    The wet roads kinda hide whats at bottom of puddles .. if its a pot hole .. 85psi is gonna pinch flat and prob dent the rim.
    The Vredestein fortezza tricomp are well grippy even with the high pressure .. if you not tried then. Give um a go before excluding them..

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve got gatorskins on my winter bike and realy rate them. Deff agree Ultremo’s are best left for summer and good roads, love them though in the right conditions. I’m 85k and 100psi works for me with 23c tyres.

mooman
    Free Member

lol you 85kilo Col?? Try putting both feet on scales next time.
    I weigh 76kilo ..anything less than 100psi and would expect to pinch flat.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’m 83kg, if your pinch flatting at 70 odd kg @100psi then I suggest learning to ride a bit lighter and not crash through pot holes 🙂 over inflating road tyres causes them to bounce off road irregularities rather than conform to them a bit loosing both speed and grip.

convert

durano plus is my winter back road tyre of choice now.

mattsccm
    Free Member

There is 1 pair of white Ultremos , 23’s, at the cycle shop at Cannop, FoD

Bez

The GP4000S (note the S) is good bang for your buck despite the price – great tyres.

If you want cheap and cheerful, I’ve been getting along just fine with Vittorias, both Zaffiros and Rubinos. They start at £6 each from Ribble.

mooman
    Free Member

Blazin-saddles – Member
    I’m 83kg, if your pinch flatting at 70 odd kg @100psi then I suggest learning to ride a bit lighter and not crash through pot holes over inflating road tyres causes them to bounce off road irregularities rather than conform to them a bit loosing both speed and grip.

Theres where I been going wrong then … next time I need to ride into an oncoming car to avoid a puddle/pot hole it will all make sense.
    Another bit of STW sound advise there then 🙄

trail_rat
    Free Member

Or ride to conditions and slow down for pot holes …..

roper
    Free Member

Ultremos don’t last and can rip and split easily. They are good but not for many miles.
    I use Michelin Lithion on my commute, winter bike and they are ok. Not the best but have oulasted the ultremos by a year so far.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Roadie tyres, best bang per buck?’ is closed to new replies.