Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Roadie tyre size
  • MarkyG82

At the risk of abuse about starting another roadie thread, I have a road bike (for commuting) arriving soon. Having been on fat tyres for nearly 20 years, what is the largest tyre you can fit inside road brakes?

Could I get away with some ‘cross tyres or should I mtfu and ride the skinnies?

RealMan
    Free Member

Depends what brakes/fork/frame you have. Unless it’s a proper race designed bike, you can almost definitely get away with 25 or maybe 28. 23 is the norm. Why do you feel you need wider tyres?

enfht
    Free Member

Fight Fight Fight !

jonba
    Free Member

I’d say 25mm was the norm these days. You’d comfortably get that inside standard road brakes in my experience (I can guarantee you can do this with ultegra).

Not sure abut 28mm though. 25mm seems fine as far as comfort and punctures go. I can recommend the conti ultra gatorskins for trouble free riding although my schwalbe duranos have been just as good.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Could I get away with some ‘cross tyres or should I mtfu and ride the skinnies?

Guy at work was in the same boat as you – went from some cross tyres initially as he swore that they would be grippier and more stable than road tyres. After a couple of weeks he asked for a go on my bike with 25mm Gatorskins as he felt the handling was a bit off. Safe to see he’s now seen the light.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As above, cross tires are utterly horrible on the road!

Draggy

No grip

Feel ‘wrong’, hard to qualify, but they feel like they’re sliding even when they’re not.

The closest thing I can think of to describe them is like ridng with both brakes on slightly.

cynic-al
    Free Member

wider = a little heavier, infinitessimally less rolling resistance, ability to run lower pressures for comfort, less punctures.

Running 23mm (where one has a choice) is as brainless as buying a Thomson seatpost.

EDIT and if you blame decent cross tyres for being slow then you ought to try 32mm SB8s or similar, they work well IME.

RealMan
    Free Member

Wider tyres are less aero as well (obviously).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Running 23mm (where one has a choice) is as brainless as buying a Thomson seatpost

Really?

narrower = a little lighter, infinitessimally more rolling resistance, ability to run higher pressures for speed.

How on earth do you pinch flat a road bike unless your not looking where your going and ride into a crater? (insert childs face comment).

I’ve only ever run 23mm on the road bike and 32mm on the tourer. TBH I’d run 23’s on that as well, but with 60+kg uf unsprung weight they’d need to be rock hard.

RealMan
    Free Member

Surely wider tyres will have more punctures?

steve_b77
    Free Member

they’re also not ‘Pro’ 😆

I’m sure you can get some 24mm tyres just to confuse things a little more.

RealMan
    Free Member

Pro is 22mm 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

RealMan – Member
    Wider tyres are less aero as well (obviously).

To an extent that is a massive factor for the average stw rider. Not.

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    Really?
    narrower = a little lighter, infinitessimally more rolling resistance, ability to run higher pressures for speed.

You forgot way more harsh and easier to pinch – yup, never ridden/chainganged/raced on poorly surfaced roads? The difference in pressures you can run makes **** all difference to speed.

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    I’ve only ever run 23mm on the road bike

Ah so you really know the benefits of trying different tyre widths 🙄

Mike_D
    Free Member

How about using whatever tyres it comes with until they wear out?

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve got a pair of 28’s, they’re comfy, but heavy*.

i’ve got a pair of 23’s, they’re really light and fast, but i have to clench my teeth while i’m riding to stop my teeth being shaken loose.

i’ve got a pair of 25’s, they’re ok.

(*they’re not really ‘roadie’ tyres, they’re bit thicker, and have some shallow tread – i bought them as an experiment)

wingnuts

It also depends on how heavy you are. Fat bar stewards like me find Michelin Pro 25s perfect for most things, but on the fast wheels I use Conti Attack and Force. They are 24mm rear and 22mm front specific. i also think Michelins come up abit bigger than their Conti counterpoints. I’ve ridden 32mm Bonti racelites on a touring bike and they performed fine with and without load on.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Bet its the frame that will limit things not the brakes. Decent tyres help as well. I have run 38mm conti’s at 80psi. No noticeable difference to the 23 mm Swalbe Luganos which are cheapies.

ahwiles
    Free Member

oh yeah, good point.

the 28’s were VERY tight fit in the forks on my speccy allez – to point that i could hear a little rubbing (tyre on fork) during cornering.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’m sure you can get some 24mm tyres just to confuse things a little more

You can – Vitorria Pavés – Ta daaaa

MarkyG82

How about using whatever tyres it comes with until they wear out?

I think that will be the plan.

As for frame clearance, The rear looks like there is lots of room but the front is a carbon affair with minimal clearance.

Thanks for the ‘words of experience’ though. Looks like skinny tyres arn’t as uncomfy as I thought.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Roadie tyre size’ is closed to new replies.