Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Roadie TdF climbs short break – where?
  • robertgray05
    Free Member

Hello

I’m considering heading to the Alps or Pyrenees end Sept or early Oct to ride some classic TdF climbs.

Plan is cheap easyjet/ryanair flights, stay in a hostel, rent a bike. I’ll be travelling solo, probably midweek, probably for 3 days.

Any views on where best to go? Weather, most iconic climbs, ease of logistics?

I’ve never actually ridden a tour climb… this is me trying to tick some off!

Bob

jonk

borg d’oisans is a good start IMO with plenty of climbs from the valley floor.

onehundredthidiot

Bourg d oisan (I cant spell it bottom of alps du heuz).

Stoner
    Free Member

fly to lourdes, rent from here, go and do some of the great cols like d’aspin and peyrousourde around bagneres de luchon?

http://pyreneesrental.bike/

MoreCashThanDash

When do the big climbs start to get snowy?

robertgray05
    Free Member

Hmm I’m hoping snow wouldn’t start til November, but I’m not super keen on cold/wet.

Bourg D’Oisans maybe a good shout, short drive from Grenoble.

Lourdes looks interesting but not sure how best to fly there from Edinburgh/Glasgow – might be complicated.

Any other suggestions?

sambob
    Free Member

Tolouse would be another option for flights, not far from Bagneres de Luchon.

jameso

Borg d’Oisans is hard to beat if you only have 3 days. Alpe d’Huez, Lautaret/Galibier, Croix de Fer, loops taking in more than that if the weather’s good, also the one-way road to La Berarde just outside B-d’O that’s not a tour climb but is a stunning road, well worth the ride.

onehundredthidiot

La berarde, as long as you time it so the restaurant at the top has food, great climb though.

tlr

Don’t forget that the road from Bourg to the Lauteret and Galibier might still be closed.

singletrackmind

Lourdes then south to Argeles Gazost . From there you could do Tourmalet , Luz Ardiden , Cautarets , Pont D Espagne , Gavanie , Col D’soloir / Aubisque and Hautacam

We drove but there will be bike hire shops locally.

As for snow, Saw snow in Avoriaz mid Sept a couple of years ago,but Pyrennes last year was great second week September 22- 26’c and sunny.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Last year I was in the Alps in October half term. The first few days were sunny and warm, after that it snowed and was -7 at the top of my local col. Take clothes for all weathers. I also take an MTB in case road biking is snowed off.

hopefiendboy

tagged for future ref..

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I stayed in St Michel de Maurienne this year while the TdF was on. ~It really is in the centre of a lot of climbs with the Telegraphe starting literally from the crossroads in the centre of the high street which then leads onto the Galibier.

Other climbs within easy distance are the Lacets de Montvernier, Col de Glandon and Croix de le Fer, La Toussuire all ridden on this year’s TDF.

Alternative locations are St Jean de Maurienne which is about 15 km further down the valley.

I have no idea what the weather is like in October but it was 35 to 40 degrees in late July although some big ole thunderstorms too.

At least I was in a chalet in the valley unlike my cycling buddy who was in a tent a klick from the top of the Croix de la Fer 😯

The Maurienne valley is really massive. When I left St Michel to drive back to Blighty we descended on the motorway for over 40 miles, yes forty MILES at a noticeable angle. Amazing place.

Edit: pics added.

That’s my youngest son (age 22) in blue following me up La Toussuire. The town in the valley far below is St Jean de Maurienne which we had ridden through on the way up

Top of the Telegraphe which is actually quite an easy climb

monkeyboyjc

I’ll be doing this route over three days mid September – flying into Geneva, transfer down to lake Annecy then ride for thee days, back up to geneva again….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t discount Turin. Close to the lovely, warm, southern Alpine climbs such as the Galibier and Lautaret, but also you can go and do some classic Giro climbs as well!

stevious

I think with the road closed between Bourg d’Oisans and Lautaret/Galibier you might have more options going for somewhere in the Maurienne valley. We stayed in an awesome AirBnB in St Michel de M.

hammerite
    Free Member

Flying in to Turin is a very good idea. There are fairly regular flights there, unlike Grenoble (is it possible to get flights out of the ski season?). Flying Lyon leaves a longer drive, as does Geneva.

Ryanair in to Lourdes is also a good idea for some Pyrenees action.

Like MTB-idle we spent a week this summer in the Maurienne. It’s pretty much perfect to ride a number of climbs. Chaussy/Madeleine, Lacets, Telegraphe, Galibier, Glandon, Croix de Fer. Head over to Modane and do the Iseran or Mont Cenis. Having spent the last few summers heading towards Bourg de Oisans I thought that the area would be difficult to top, but I actually think the Maurienne has more accessible cols.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

once you’ve got an idea of location…

Roads to Ride

(and thread bookmarked for reference….)

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Unlikely to be a major problem, as I’m sure there will be some places still open, but worth noting that a lot of hotels/restaurants in the Alps close up mid-Sept and don’t reopen until the ski season.

ads678

http://www.lesvoletsjaunes.com/

My sister and brother in law have just opened this chambre d’otes in the pyrenees. They offer airport pick up from the likes of Carcasonne or Toulouse and they know people who do bike rentals so could organise that, I think they know a couple of people who do do guiding as well.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

We did bourg d’oisans in June and it was really really good, I’d go back .
    Used http://promptcc.com/ for bike hire and accomodation.

Loads of routes available from medium to massive.

Alp d’Huez
    Col de La Sarenne
    Les deux alpes
    Col de la croix de fer
    Col du glandon
    Col du Galibier via lauteret (You will need lights assuming it’s open Tunnel or snow!)
    And the easy but spectacular balcon d’Auris

Croix de fer was a great climb. Lautaret was shut but the road is busy and unpleasant.
    There is a booklet you can download somewhere with all the routes. Much quieter than the maurienne valley.

We also saw bardet training on alp d’Huez.

Just don’t scratch the bike.

markgraylish
    Free Member

<tick>

jet26
    Free Member

Morzine another option – short transfer, lots of accommodation options. Joux plane straight from town. Ramaz, joux vert, colombierre, various other climbs all nearby. Low too so less chance of snow

karnali
    Free Member

Book marking

beej

Also bookmarking. I’ve done quite a bit in the Pyrenees and I’d recommend Luchon for a lot in a small area – Superbagneres, Port du Bales, Peyresourde, Aspin, Aubisque, Tourmalet etc.

Our plan is to get to the Alps next year to coincide with TdF week – I’m assuming it’ll be the second week as they should be going clockwise.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

beej
    I’m assuming it’ll be the second week as they should be going clockwise.

Yep, that should be correct. Pyrenees first then alps second in 2015 and the reverse next year.

I have done the Pyrenees too. 2014 TDF week. Stayed in Lourdes which has been described as the most soul-destroying town in France. Lots of nuns and people in wheelchairs.

rode the Tourmalet, Port de Bales and Pla d’Adet. All superb climbs but really difficult in different ways.

The only thing i found with the pyrenees was the famous climbs were a bit more spread out and i needed to drive between them rather than access them via bike as per the alps.

a few more pics to inspire you:

A well composed shot on the Port de Bales. Check out the fans all looking at slightly different things, even the professional photographer and his moto man are getting in on the act

Geraint on the Port de Bales

Sagan struggles up the Pla d’Adet

Up close and personal with Nibali on the Tourmalet

robertgray05
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Decision made – flights booked to Geneva, train booked to St Jean de Maurienne.

I’ll let you know how the weather is in 1st week of Oct!

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Was just clearing stuff away and found the guide book.
    Download here
    http://bike-oisans.com/en/footer/guides-to-download

scott-b
    Free Member

Looking forward to hearing your report when back. We’re looking for somewhere for next June. Bourg is favourite at the minute

skink2020

Book marking.

wilburt
    Free Member

what doctor….. said about Borg d’Oisans, only I would add the road up Villard Notre Dame and back on the Col d’Ornan road, its not a TDF route but a must do if IMO if your in the area.

mefty
    Free Member

I avoid Grenoble Airport, Lyon is only 30 mins further down the road as Grenoble airport isn’t that close to Grenoble itself and has a far greater choice of flights.

edlong
    Free Member

Any other suggestions?

Cragg Vale, Buttertubs, Col du Scott Hall Road..

robertgray05
    Free Member

Hi all

Brief update after I went away last week (28 Sep – 2 Oct) for those who were considering something similar.

– flew to Geneva, train from the airport via Geneva CFF & Chambery to St Jean de Maurienne. Very easy, pretty cheap.

– stayed in St Jean de Maurienne at Hotel de l’Europe. Very cheap, clean, basic, friendly staff, secure bike room. Simple breakfast with lots of coffee.

– rented bike from Solaro cycles – nice people but not as slick as rental operations I’ve used in Mallorca. Bike was perfectly functional (Tiagra, alu) but I’d expected more (at least 105, ability to swap stem, loan of a multi tool). Only bike shop I could find in StJdM but I’d probably seek another outfit next time.

– weather was sunny thoughout. On the valley floor, it was about 10deg first thing in the morning rising to 18-20deg. Lovely. On the summits though, it’s bitterly cold – air temp 5deg roughly, but with the windchill it feels well below zero. There was snow and ice atop the Galibier. If it had been raining, its would have been chilly much of the time and summits/descents would have been verging on dangerous without many many clothes.

– Clothing – wore shorts and a longsleeve windstopper with a superlight rain/wind jacket & a buff in pocket. I’d probably wear more next time – maybe a base layer, thicker gloves, 3/4 legs. Cannot overstate how cold I got descending for 30mins at a time, even though on the climbs what I had was perfect.

– Stuff being open beyond the season, as this was – many things weren’t. On the valley floor it was very quiet but most shops open. In the higher towns and on summit cafes, about 1 in 5 were open. I was often the only person in when I stopped for coffee/croque monsieur/gaufre/etc. Tasty.

– I rode the following cols, and it was all totally brilliant – Chaussy, Lacets de Montvernier, Glandon, Croix de Fer, Mollard, Telegraphe, Galibier, Madeleine, La Toussuire. And there are more/ride in reverse/etc.

Summary – had a brilliant time, great place to go, would probably go at least a few weeks earlier next time.

Hope that’s of use to someone!

B

ransos
    Free Member

There was snow and ice atop the Galibier

Just on this point – I climbed it in July 2013 and there was snow on the top then, despite it hitting 40 degrees in Bourg D’Oisans.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Roadie TdF climbs short break – where?’ is closed to new replies.