Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Roadie shorts
  • iainc

Rapha Classics both going back here, Large ones suffer from legs riding up and wrinkling while Mediums are a bit tight on the leg grippers 🙁

Rapha Core are pretty good but will compare with Assos Equipe before deciding which to keep. Also have some ASV Race coming on back of this thread !

iainc

Decent road ride today with the DHB ASV Race ones – great fit and very comfy, hard to see past these I reckon….

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve just done 120km in my new B’Twin Aerofit bibs and I can confirm they are very comfortable. The caveat is that they are my first set of bibs, so nothing to compare them too, but the shorts themselves didn’t move at all and the upper part was barely noticeable, and overall they are an excellent fit. The pad is comfortable, without feeling nappy-like.

I do need a new saddle, though, as I just can’t seem to settle into the Specialized I’ve got.

matts
    Free Member

I used my pair of ASV race bibs for training last night. I’m really impressed. Saying “they’re good for the money” would be doing them a serious disservice. They really are excellent bibs. The fit is good. The fabrics are excellent. The legs are nice and long.* The fact that they cost less than half of what most brands average bibs cost is just the icing on the cake.

* I’m 189cm, 76Kg, and bought a large. I normally have the problem that anything that fits my hips and waist only comes half way down my thigh.

iainc

^^^ yeah, not sure I will keep the Rapha Core ones after today’s try of the DHB ASV Race ones as the DHB’s seem pretty much perfect. The Rapha are very comfy in the house but the leg grippers gap a bit off the bike, which seems common on the feedback on the Rapha site. Hard to see beyond the £60 tag of the DHB but will hang off and see it the Assos Equipe are twice and a bit as good !

matts
    Free Member

I have a pair for Assos Uno shorts and I couldn’t say they’re any better than the DHB ones. Maybe the newer models are a step up.

The only pair of bibs I own that I think I could class as better are the Sportful R&D ones. YMMV.

iainc

interesting, cheers. Just in from 3 and a bit hrs/50 miles in the DHB’s and they are as comfy as when I put them on !

mikey74
    Free Member

Having now done a number of circa 50mile rides, and one 75 mile ride, I don’t think the BTwins are for me: I just can’t seem to settle into them. It’s as if there’s too much going on with the pad.

The shorts as a whole are great, it’s just the pad.

Dhb ASV?

matts
    Free Member

The ASV pad is one of the type that has 2 very distinct left/right sections running the length of the pad and split down the middle. Compared to the Sportful for Castelli pads with constantly variable thickness padding, they do feel a bit ‘busy’.

I did 170k in mine yesterday and I think they’re at least as good as any other pair I’ve used. But YMMV.

mikey74
    Free Member

I think the trouble with the BTwin pad is it features a series of distinct “islands” which can move around so I feel the hem in between, which causes irritation.

proutster
    Free Member

Just plumped for some of the

SaxonRider
    In terms of return on investment, these bib shorts by Tenn have been absolutely superb.

Well-placed padding; good fabric and stitching… Mine have now done 1000s of kms without a snag.

Look like good value and a good recommendation – let’s see 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

I need to see a pic of the pad, before buying any more.

StuF

Any idea how the planet x bibs come up sizing for height – I’m about 6’1″ and around a 33″ waist which means I’d need a M waist and an XL height.

Would prefer not to have crushed nuts but also not baggy around the waist

mattbee

I’m 6’2″ with a 34″ waist and I find a size L in Planet X bibs a good fit. Leg length is pretty good and the bib length works, I’m not sure if the M would be a bit short in the torso.

StuF

@MattBee – thanks, L sounds about right then

mikey74
    Free Member

So, I got the DHB ASV shorts and have just been out in them.

I only did about 53km, but it quickly became clear that, compared to the BTwin Aerofit shorts I bought a few weeks ago, these are in a different league: Both in terms of fit and comfort.

The pad is superb: I was worried when I saw the BTwin pad as I thought it looked like it had a lot going on that could cause problems on longer rides, and I was right. These, on the other hand, are fairly simplistic, but do the job, with not a single bit of chafing, which there was after similar distances with the BTwins.

The other thing I noticed in particular is the fit: I have quite long thighs and this means most cycling shorts end up doing good impressions of hot pants. These are that bit longer, meaning they fit my legs how I think shorts should fit.

When I first put them on they felt a bit snug, but after that I didn’t even notice them.

I just wish I’d gone with these in the first place and saved myself the £50 of the BTwins.

Recommended.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Roadie shorts’ is closed to new replies.