Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Roadie runflats (somewhat familiar)
  • cookeaa

Yep another GCN advertorial:

So Vittoria are pushing a (rather CushCore like) system to make road tubeless tyres able to limp home even if your sealant fails, but you definitely can’t cram a tube in if you get a flat…

Would these foam strips persuade any more people to adopt road tubeless?

Haze

Been on road tubeless a few years now, not had many punctures and never had one where I haven’t been able to get home…still interested in these though…

dovebiker

I can seen the need for pro riders where keeping rolling waiting for a team car can be the difference between staying in the race or not.
    I’m less sure of the benefits for amateur riders, where riding on a flat could end up trashing not just the tyre but the rim – particularly a carbon one

reluctantjumper

They work completely differently to the MTB systems, basically do nothing until a puncture occurs. Seems a very good system for fast commuters, people afraid of sudden blowouts and racers. The price is a bit on the steep side though.

luket

I’m about to get a set of road wheels and tyres for a bike that’s currently gravel. This seems quite an interesting prospect to me. Would you trust them enough that your whole carried kit of pump, dynaplug, tube could be left at home? If so, nice application I think for the 2-3 hour local solo road spin that is my norm.

tjagain

Given the low rate of punctures I get with gp4000 kevlar belted tyres ( and travel contacts) and given the number of glass cuts in them ( loads) its not for me.

I can see it if you are racing but modern tyre tech is so good.

Haze

Can’t help think they’ll make tyre fitting a pain in the arse though, I need every bit of room to get those beads over sometimes.

Not sure I puncture anywhere near enough to justify them, nice idea though.

tpbiker
    Free Member

These sound great for pros, and amateur racers. I’d be tempted to get some for my tt bike as if I puncture I’m not going to be carrying a spare tube

But for everyday road riding I’m not convinced. If I get a puncture that can’t seal I have no choice but to ride home on a 30psi tyre. No problem for when I’m out for a short blast but would totally ruin a big ride where nowadays a 10 min inner tube installation saves the day

crazy-legs

Would you trust them enough that your whole carried kit of pump, dynaplug, tube could be left at home?

On a short local ride, yes.
    On a long ride, no – I’d still want to carry a DynaPlug and pump but I’d do away with the tube and tyre levers.

Anything a DynaPlug can’t fix with 2-3 plugs is new tyre time anyway so all the stuff about fitting a tube is irrelevant.

cookeaa

They work completely differently to the MTB systems, basically do nothing until a puncture occurs. Seems a very good system for fast commuters, people afraid of sudden blowouts and racers. The price is a bit on the steep side though.

Yep that’s basically what the video said…

My only qualm is that it apparently prevents the current tubeless fall back of being able to just whack a tube in if/when sealant and plugs fail, that and Vittoria want a small fortune for some foam hoops and wonky pliers.

TBH I’m not sure I quite buy the idea that lots of roadies haven’t Bought into tubeless because they dread a “blowout”. I think it’s probably more likely that that they currently aren’t suffering lots of flats with tubes, and if they do the fix is a known, simple one…

I’ve got tubeless compatible rims on my road bike now, but I’m still not sure if the extra investment in road tubeless is quite worth it for a nodder like me. Still it’s encouraging that tyre/wheel companies are working on improving road tubeless…

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s interesting that there’s a 1hr limit on the run flat for the Gravel version. But they don’t mention any limit for the road version.

boblo
    Free Member

Slightly off topic but tubeless road has been broached up there ^

I’m also of the ‘I don’t get many punctures so don’t need the faff of tubeless road’ camp, however…

I just had a pair of wheels delivered with Schwalbe Pro One’s installed and they’re really nice. They’re lighter (both wheels and tyres) than what was on before and at 80/85 psi (28’s), very plush. They feel fast and roll easy. I’m sure there’s some placebo effect in there but I don’t regret going tubeless road for free 😁

footflaps

They feel fast and roll easy.

Top of the range tyres always do, tubeless or tubed….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Roadie runflats (somewhat familiar)’ is closed to new replies.