Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Roadie question, Tubular/Tubs, any good for 'everyday riding'?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Has anyone tried ‘road tubeless’?
    At the end of the month I’m getting my first road bike, a Trek that comes with Bontrager Race wheels, which are tubeless ready. I’m going to get the Bonty tubeless kit and give it a go, as the main use will be a 15 mile each way commute and hope to avoid punctures if possible.

Just wondering. 🙂

kcr
    Free Member

Do you have any contact details? I have a load of homeopathic pills which are guaranteed to enhance your performance I need to shift.

Eh? Don’t think you read to the end of my post!

aracer
    Free Member

I meant contact details for them (the ones who think tubs feel faster), not for you!

al – I’m sure I could find some links, but it would take more effort than I can be bothered to put in. I used to spend a lot of time on rec.bicycle.science and latterly the hardcore bicycle science mailing list and also on the weight weenies forums, all places some very knowledgeable people hang out (eg the late Sheldon Brown, Jobst Brandt etc.) I’m pretty confident about my assertion based on results of studies I saw on there and elsewhere. Doubtless some German magazine did a proper test.

FWIW I have tubs on my TT wheels – Veloflex Records, not cheap but some of the fastest rolling road tubs you can get. I’m under no illusions that they’re faster rolling or more comfortable than clinchers I have on my other wheels, however as a package of deep carbon wheels and tubs they’re certainly faster – at the time I bought the wheels the only option for deep section aero wheels was tubs, if I was buying now my choice might be different (might – the tub wheels generally work out significantly lighter than clinchers).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldgit
    Free Member

Has anyone tried ‘road tubeless’?
    At the end of the month I’m getting my first road bike, a Trek that comes with Bontrager Race wheels, which are tubeless ready. I’m going to get the Bonty tubeless kit and give it a go, as the main use will be a 15 mile each way commute and hope to avoid punctures if possible.

Just wondering.

Perhaps next year. I’m on Giant P-SLR1 (DT Swiss)and almost midway through my racing so I don’t want to risk a change just yet. Though I will be buying an Ultremo tubeless set.

cynic-al
    Free Member

@aracer…and we all know weight doesn’t matter 😛

@PP…there have been a few threads on that topic – one int eh last week or two.

aracer
    Free Member

we all know weight doesn’t matter

Pah – of course it matters! The question is how much real difference (advantage to clinchers) is there in the rolling resistance, and what the trade off is between that and the weight, depending on what sort of course you’re riding. We’re talking very small margins here – probably just enough to interest Dave Brailsford.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Roadie question, Tubular/Tubs, any good for 'everyday riding'?’ is closed to new replies.