Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Roadie Groupsets – SRAM vs Shimano 'equivalents'
  • IHN

Does

Rival = 105
    Force = Ultegra
    Red = Dura Ace

If so, does this:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPULT/planet_x_pro_carbon_shimano_ultegra_road_bike

Seem better value than this:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPTDF/planet_x_pro_carbon_tour_de_france_limited_edition

even though it’s £100 dearer?

LMT
    Free Member

Not sure if its as simple as that, i run the sram apex which is equal to the 105, well slightly better as my SL bike came with it while the staandard bike comes with the 105.

Ethier way and tbh i don’t know any better the apex is a great groupset does the job perfectly.

johnnystorm

Boardman might disagree as they put 105 on the model up from the one with Apex. It’s a minefield!

atlaz
    Free Member

I’d take ultegra but then again I like Shimano road shifting (but SRAM offroad)

thomthumb
    Free Member

wheels/ chainset.

mrmo
    Free Member

pick the one you like the shifters of.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not sure if its as simple as that, i run the sram apex which is equal to the 105, well slightly better as my SL bike came with it while the staandard bike comes with the 105.

Probably because SRAM almost always comes out lighter for any nominal price point/tier.

It’s a minefield!

SRAM’s generally cheaper, Red equipped bike can be bought for (almost) ultegra money. Even aftermarket it’s a lot less than DA.

pick the one you like the shifters of.

+1, that’s where you’ll notice the difference, not the logo.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Or campy

I have older record from 2006 and still works a treat

mrmo
    Free Member

SRAM’s generally cheaper, Red equipped bike can be bought for (almost) ultegra money. Even aftermarket it’s a lot less than DA.

until you look at the cost of spares aftermarket, at which point Shimano becomes cheaper.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got 105 on my road bike and Apex on my cross bike. The 105 is proper smooth, the apex is very positive; I rather like them both.

To be honest I prefer how SRAM chainsets look over their shimano equivalent.

GrahamS

Got Force on my CX bike.

One thing to note is that the shifting action is different on SRAM. On normal Shimano STI you move the brake lever to shift one direction and press a smaller lever to shift the other.

On SRAM “DoubleTap” the brake lever doesn’t move at all, instead you press the lever in one click to shift one way and fully in to shift the other.

Not a big thing. Easy to get to grips with and I quite like it. But apparently some folk hate it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Roadie Groupsets – SRAM vs Shimano 'equivalents'’ is closed to new replies.