Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Roadie content…..IRD Cadence Rims….Any Good?
  • TimothyD
    Free Member

I weigh about 12 and a half stone, and was thinking about 32 hole rims for front and rear, how has anybody found them who've used them, and what sort of use did they find they can cope with?

Was it just smooth roads only, or could they handle the occasional bits of stoney bridleway as well?

Many thanks,

Tim

Sheriff_Fatman

I've had a pair for about 18 months and they seem to be holding up ok given that a) I built the wheels myself, and b) I'm a bit of a biffer! Ran them on a cross bike for a while and lately on a commuting bike that has had to put up with Edinburgh roads and there's been no problems. I also used one as a replacement rim on a Mavic Cosmos rear wheel and again that has survived well. They also built up nice and easily.

The only major downside I have found with them is that they are an absolute pig to get most tyres onto (think 10-15 minutes of swearing + blistered hands etc.) For that reason alone, I think I'll be going back to Mavic Open Pros!

TimothyD
    Free Member

That's pretty much what I wanted to hear, except from the tyres.

If it doesn't sound a funny question, do you use tyre levers, or do you go without to avoid risking puncturing the inner tubes?

I ask because I always use metal tyre levers if a tyre is a bit stubborn to get on, which seem to cope with any tyre. Could that solve the problem?

Thanks
    Tim

Sheriff_Fatman

Normally I prefer to try and get a tyre on by hand but I did resort to levers with the IRD rims. Plastic ones will snap, metal or metal core should do the job if you are careful – nothing worse than finally getting the tyre on only to then find you've pinched the tube in the mean time! I'm trying a VAR lever the next time I change tyres or fix a puncture.
    Tyre choice is also a factor though – Shwalbe CX pros went on by hand as did Conti twisters. 28mm ultra gatorskins needed levers and a lot of swearing and I couldn't get GP4000s on at all (at least before I gave up with them!)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Roadie content…..IRD Cadence Rims….Any Good?’ is closed to new replies.