Roadie Choice – 'Dale SuperSix vs Giant TCR1

Home Forum Bike Forum Roadie Choice – 'Dale SuperSix vs Giant TCR1

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Roadie Choice – 'Dale SuperSix vs Giant TCR1
  • wilburt

mboy- Interesting points, I went for 11s as an upgrade primarily for the improve grip shape so missed out on 10s ultegra but heard is was better than 105, perhaps it isn’t.

TBH my 2005 Allez with 8s Sora has the best hood shape of the bikes in my garage atm, its also the best fit for me but a size too small according to the book.

Maybe campags got it right?

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Interesting points, I went for 11s as an upgrade primarily for the improve grip shape so missed out on 10s ultegra but heard is was better than 105, perhaps it isn’t.

It is better, but not hugely so. The carbon levers are much nicer to use IMO over the ally 105 ones, the mechs have a slightly stronger spring tension iirc, rear mech has better quality jockey wheels, brakes have better pivot bearings, and of course the Ultegra Chainset has that hollow outer ring. All adds up to marginally better performance, and a couple of hundred grammes weight saving.

11spd Shimano 9000/6800/5800 has a much cleaner cable routing for the gear cables which improves shift performance, and has a different shaped hood and lever that seems to suit more people more of the time.

TBH my 2005 Allez with 8s Sora has the best hood shape of the bikes in my garage atm, its also the best fit for me but a size too small according to the book.

Maybe campags got it right?

Tiagra levers seem to suit a lot of people quite well because the hoods are very rounded.

As for Campag, well ergonomically the hoods are the best shape for most people, especially those with smaller hands. Campag will always struggle to get mainstream acceptance though mainly because it’s more expensive for what you get, but also because for most people the “ear” shift levers are a hangup to them from old Sora/2300 and represent the budget end of the scale. Of course, these people haven’t tried an 11spd Record Groupset out to compare with, they just automatically buy a bike with Ultegra cos that’s what all the magazines tell them they need… 😉

TiRed

Tiagra shiifters are the same shape as Ultegra 6600. they shift just as well too. Both shift better than 6700. As already mentioned, cable routing for new 11 speed has worked hard to bring shifting back to where it was a few years ago. The carbon levers are nice, but they are not essential!

Just raced my 6600. And it shifted so much more smoothly than yesterday’s 6700 i led a club ride on.

And you can of course race either. Wheels would be the only upgrade i’d consider. Although i started racing on Giant wheels of a similar level.

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Roadie Choice – 'Dale SuperSix vs Giant TCR1’ is closed to new replies.