Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Roadie chainset…
  • Premier Icon deviant
    Free Member

My venerable 10-speed 105 compact needs replacing, it’s easy to just ditch the old for a new one but the 11 speed stuff has me thinking and I’m also intrigued by Shimano’s ‘just right’ new middle size option of a 52/36 with a 32t cassette out back covering most eventualities.

I’d tried moving to Wales with a full 39/53 (it was fine in the South East of England but damn near crippled me here)…though as I’ve ridden more miles a compact isn’t quite enough any more.

Do any forumites have any experience of this new middle ground in Shimano range?

Also looking at some of those one piece carbon stem and bars to shave a few pounds, and body with any exclusive of those too?

Premier Icon mtbtomo
    Free Member

I use 52/36 but with a 28-11 cassette and it’s fine. Also have 50/34 with a 25-11. I can’t get excited either way, have used both combinations in the Alps and Spain and 52 gives you a bit more top end but you’re going at a fair speed already on a 50-11.

You might need a longer cage mech with a 32 sprocket on your cassette, and maybe a longer chain too. Are you replacing the whole group set or just the chainset?

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Free Member

I don’t really get the point of 52/36. With 50/34 over 53/39 you basically lose one sprocket at the top and gain almost 2 at the bottom (assuming about a 2t difference in sprockets) at the expense of an awkward 16 tooth jump between big and little ring. With 52/36, tiny difference between a 53 and a 52 and you gain less than 1 extra sprocket at the bottom end.

If a standard is a bit much then moving to 52/36 isn’t going to be much of a difference.

Though there’s a lot more to choice of rings than top and bottom range.

Premier Icon felltop
    Free Member

I use 52/36 And 11-32 In the Highlands. Works for me. I didn’t go for a 50-34 as I was pretty sure that I would constantly making front shifts.

Premier Icon schmiken

I use 52/36 on the race bike and 50/34 on the commuter/training/rain bike. Both have their benefits – namely a lower gear on the commuter. I used to use 53/39 and it just felt awkward and over geared. The semi-compact really works for me coupled with 11-28 on the climbing wheels and 11-25 on the race wheels.

Premier Icon TiRed

I wouldn’t go back to a 50/34. The lowest gear is lower, but the 34 is always a bail out. You’ll use the 36 much more. And a 32 on the back will be low enough.

Premier Icon davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I don’t really get the point of 52/36

Yeh, there is no point. 50/36 or 50/34 (if there’s steep hills) makes more sense.

Premier Icon wilburt
    Free Member

It fewls a bit “the next thing to buy” to me. I have a 53/39 bike that get used locally and is OK for the relativly flat area I live.

My main bike has a 50/34 and I need everyone of those gears matched to a 12/30 cassette when abroad.

Sometimes the 50-12 isnt enough but its not a big deal.

Premier Icon njee20

I use 52/36 on the race bike and 50/34 on the commuter/training/rain bike. Both have their benefits – namely a lower gear on the commuter. I used to use 53/39 and it just felt awkward and over geared

This. Entirely.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Roadie chainset…’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.