Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • roadie cap or bandana under lid for avoiding the sun for my shaved(balding) head
  • firestarter
    Free Member

tho my head is shaved its on its way anyway and yesterday was out for a few hours on the bike with factor 30 on the bonce and still got too much sun thru the vents so was thinking of a roadie cap or bandana, cant work out if a bandana would protect my neck or would if i would just look like a pirate (fine if you want to look like pantani :o) did )so would a cap be better or would both be just too hot

thanks for any info from fellow shaved , bald heads 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

buff

alexxx
    Free Member

buff

scaredypants

hankie, 4 knots, sorted

looks great on and off the bike

alexxx
    Free Member

^ haha good skills terry

firestarter
    Free Member

how does the buff fit on top of your head ? is there a way of folding it?

thomthumb
    Free Member

uv buff.

seach youtube for buff; loads of demos

wwaswas

I go for 'pirate' and fold the loose end up underneath at the back.

alexxx
    Free Member

? that makes you sound very simple but since you dont know about the ways of a buff look here

http://www.buffwear.co.uk/pages/product-info/ways-to-wear.php

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I think they where calling you Buff Mick!! 😉

You not remember how to make crap hats??

Just get a cap, or tie a knot in the end of yer buff, or just wear it, and tuck up the open end under itself?

sofatester
    Free Member

Skin head here, not bald!

I have a lightweight bandana which does the job.

firestarter
    Free Member

oh its a headover size 😉 i know those lol id not seen a buff in the buff so to speak . i shall get one of those

btw i'll drop you an email

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

roadie cap every time, classic, although it really requires a non peaked lid.

Garry_Lager

The roadie cap is a good look for the racing snake types, so I'd try that if you're fit. Looks a bit dodgy on blokes who have a few pies inside them.

firestarter
    Free Member

buff it is then garry 😉

Cougar

Buff as a Bandana.

how does the buff fit on top of your head ? is there a way of folding it?

Turn it inside out, reach inside with a hand in each side and grab the opposite edge. Pull.

You'll end up with two cup-shaped halves of Buff with a knot in the middle. Stick one over your head.

firestarter
    Free Member

cheers all will get buff ordered. looks like the old headover i used in the forces. i hadnt realised they were as big i have a fake one thats tiny and i couldnt use right under the lid , more of a neck warmer that why i was a bit confused

ta

Cougar

They're funky things. I got a couple back in my motorbike days, they're fantastic round your neck to keep the wind out rather than cocking about with scarves. These days I mostly use them bandana-style on camping trips to keep the midges off.

ash.addy
    Free Member

Just put the Buff over your head and flip the tail back so it's hanging over your neck, comfy to wear and you've got some protection from the sun.

TooTall
    Free Member

Go to a motorbike shop and get the Oxford branded buff-a-likes – 3 for the price of a buff and does the same job.

rootes1

I'm going to try a halo skull cap

coatesy
    Free Member

I only wear a bandana in the winter. Only started wearing it when I shaved my head to stay cool and nearly drowned in running sweat,soaks it up nicely but way too hot in the summer.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Roadie cap here (casquette?), most of the year round.

yunki
    Free Member

head as brown as a hazelnut here…. works a treat

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Used one in Pirate or Sahara style for and 8 day Alps trip in July/August, not only does it keep the sun off but does a brilliant job of keeping the sweat off your face 😀

thekingisdead
    Free Member

full face.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Anyone got any sources for bandanas? I picked one up at a seaside grockle shop a while back (same issues here as the OP…) and whilst the buff works, there's quite a bit of material compared to a lighter weight bandana. Don't have to be special cycling ones – anything'll do as it's under the helmet anyway.

firestarter
    Free Member

the one i had seen was at prendas.co.uk mate

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

MrSmith
    Free Member

i used to use a buff then started using road caps on the road but now use them under my mtb lid too.
    they seem to work better at keeping you cool.

saleem
    Free Member

try nisbets shop online for a chefs scull cap.

OCB
    Free Member

You'll find millions of bandana on ebay. I always wear one under my helmet in the summer (with sunblock on my ears) – or I'll use a basic welders cap like this.

Not quite the cachet of a cycling cap, and obviously you cant' wear it the other way around, to have the peak as a kinda havelock to protect your neck from the sun on huge, endless climbs like you can with a cycling cap, but they are lighter weight (and flash-retardant if you like ending the ride with a fire).

A buff'll be too much at this time of year – ideal late autumn / early spring tho' as you can tug it down over your ears for the descents.

woffle
    Free Member

roadie cap here.

seizednuts
    Free Member

Buff dont fit comfortably under a helmet. Im a fellow baldie and have tried a few, what works best for me is a bandana if you tie it right the knot fits through the back of the head adjuster. where as the buff is too thick and just pushs the helmet forward.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips – found some interesting ones on ebay that have terry towel sweat bands built in at a sensible price.

I tried the suggestion that ash.addy made with the Buff – just put it over your head and let the tail fall backwards, as I have the same probs that seizednuts has – the knot at the back makes the helmet tight, and that seemed to work quite – plus it was pretty warm today.

allthepies
    Free Member

buff fro shizzle.

Can't see the advantage of a cap over a seamless buff to be honest assuming that your lid is a decent fit rather than about three sizes too large.

Houns
    GW
    Free Member

The roadie cap is a good look for the racing snake types

OMG!

buffs look hellish too, can't you just put suncream on.

tommid
    Free Member

As a baldy i use both. Cap is good as backwards the peak can cover your neck slightly and keep the sun off.
    I also have a cap with the peak cut off which works well.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

GW – Member

The roadie cap is a good look for the racing snake types

OMG!

buffs look hellish too, can't you just put suncream on.

Suncream + sweat – hair on head + open eyes = pain (unless anyone knows of any suncream that doesn't sting)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘roadie cap or bandana under lid for avoiding the sun for my shaved(balding) head’ is closed to new replies.