Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Roadie abuse.
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

or whoppit and a mirror 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

samuri
    Free Member

“it’s not a race”

I’m sorry, that’s the wrongest website on earth.

It is SO a race it’s got y fronts on.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I jump lights when on my Dahon, s’pecially if I’m late for my train home…. Just like all the other 10,000 commuters do heading to that Waterloo on a Friday Eve.
    I see now’t wrong with it.
    I don’t jump lights when on my roadie though, don’t want to give the wrong impression.
    Don’t think I’ve ever seen a red light when on my mtb though.

TiT’s are nice things, I’d say that was a compliment.

brooess
    Free Member

I see now’t wrong with it.

You should read Woppit’s other thread where he explains how he nearly died today jumping a red light. You may reconsider your view
    Oh and technically there’s a lot wrong with it – it’s illegal

Maybe it’s worth thinking about how your friends and family will feel standing around at your funeral?

Kit
    Free Member

Funny, Woppit had some comments of mine removed from one of his threads yonks ago after I had a dig at him. Therefore I’m torn as to whether to jump in in his defence as he can obviously be a bit sensitive, or just lay in like everyone else because I’ll probably get away with it this time 😐

bikebouy
    Free Member

Commuters get away with jumping red lights all the time, s’pecially when theres a train to catch. I’ve followed, and been in, angry packs of Brompton’ists chasing the next train from That Waterloo and if you take a peek anytime from 5pm onwards you’ll see some interesting confrontations between bikes/cars/people all trying to get somewhere pretty damn quickly. We’re like a pack of lemmings, group mentality, all moving at the same time, if one goes the rest follow..
    It’s illegal, yup, so’s drugs.

You deffo get away with dipping red lights if you are in a suit. It goes with the territory.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Help yourself, Kit. I love a good thrashing. Apparently…

Kryton57

Troll or not, Cyclist jumping red light annoys me immensely. I’ve had a couple of instances now where I’ve been sitting at a Red light on my road bike and another road has skipped right through the lights and played dodgeball with the traffic – madness and it gives us all a bad name.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I don’t mind jumping a red light on a commute where it’s safe, though on my last commute to work there was only 1 out of around 15 that it was safe enough to jump.

Bromptons, and more specifically their owners, however are a very special breed of twunt that I think every bike shop staff member holds a special place in hell for. They come in with their beard and sandals and say, in a special nasally voice through their beard (both male and female)-

“I was on my way to the vegan co-op the other day when this very specific Brompton part [why the chuff don’t they use normal components like Dahon?] of my gears exploded. I shall expect it to be fixed in two days for tuppence.”

Meanwhile, somewhere, someone in the Brompton factory laughs, and prepares to package up the part in a month’s time. A Brompton accountant writtes up an invoice with one too many zeroes and the designer laughs at all the other naive bike companies designing bikes with “off the shelf” parts- “what’s that? Use something readily available?? How on earth would we make money that way?”.

Back in the work shop the mechanic is trying to fit a folding bike with a back end that keeps trying to collapse under itself every time you lift the seat through a door to the workshop. Just as he’s worked out the best way to do it, the wing mirror that they have batters off the door frame and breaks. Then as the rear of the bike gets there the orange safety flag they have sticking out the side snaps as the faded, mouldy forty five year old Karrimor pannier bag that’s held on with the most overly complicated set of straps known to man snag on it. All the while this is accompanied by the sound of the three bells on the handle bar dinging, the eighteen sets of very cheap, very weak lights mounted all over rattling and the crunch and groan of a set of components that have never once seen any maintenance.

While this is happening the Brompton owner turns to the door, and as they do so all the sun bounces off the ten square metres of reflective guff they’re wearing- ankle straps, stickers on the back of their helmet, back pack cover, hi-vis gloves, reflective vest- and blinds the shop staff. The owner simply flicks down his clip on sunglasses and walks, corduroy trousers still tucked into his grey wool socks, into the street as the staff slump on the floor, knocked out by the smell of lentil-fart.

They can burn in hell, the blighters .

Kryton57

I don’t mind jumping a red light on a commute where it’s safe, though on my last commute to work there was only 1 out of around 15 that it was safe enough to jump.

Shame on you.

leffeboy

Quality work munrobiker

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Ouch! 😆

rogerthecat
    Free Member

+1 Mr Munrobiker – that started my day with a hearty laugh, I thank you.
    Wife and kids getting up now so that’ll be an end to it.

The red light death rush scares the poop out of me when I’m driving round London, some peoples margin of acceptable risk is waffer thin!

munrobiker
    Free Member

I feel a lot better with that off my chest…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

….all the sun bounces off the ten square metres of reflective guff they’re wearing- ankle straps, stickers on the back of their helmet, back pack cover, hi-vis gloves, reflective vest- and blinds the shop staff.

🙂 Truly made me lol

Help yourself, Kit. I love a good thrashing.

That’s because you know Woppit, like a cheap tart, you’re worth it.

Besides it proves how you’re loved – imagine how distressing it would be to be ignored.

dogbert
    Free Member

Now now now, the roadie was incorrect on this occasion…..he’s a ****, not a tit

tinribz
    Free Member

If you watch pelican crossings you’ll notice that most men will generally only click the button if there is traffic, and go when the road is clear regardless of the lights. You’ll notice that women nearly always hit the button and wait for green even if the road is empty. Men will also cross diagonally while women stick to the crossing.

We’re all aware of this sort of behavior at a subconscious level, so what you effectively did at the lights was to insinuate a tesosterone deficiency. While on a bike with smaller balls wheels…

Who was right or wrong is another question but Master Kan suggests it is OK.

brooess
    Free Member

If you jump red lights you’re increasing your chances of get killed.
    Your choice I suppose.
    And as above, it engenders disrespect for cyclists in general. which means it increases the chances of the rest of us getting killed.
    Thanks for that… 😯

crazy-legs

munrobiker: post of the week sir! 😆

ojom
    Free Member

Compliments on a fantastic description Luke.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Munrobiker sounds like a buffoon the type that looks down on others as he fixes his punctures with his bike the right way up.

No room for snobbery in cycling.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Cynic-al sounds like the type that has never had a Brompton collapse in the workstand while they work on it…

munrobiker
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Free Member

munrobiker – Member
    Cynic-al sounds like the type that has never had a Brompton collapse in the workstand while they work on it…

Correct – I worked out how to prevent it.

Great bikes, better than 6″ skill compwnsators, even Orange 5s.

soundninjauk

I instantly dislike the OP for running red lights.

markwalker
    Free Member

i thought red means ready steady goooooooooooooo 😆

EccentricEllis

I like turtles!

konabunny
    Free Member

The owner simply flicks down his clip on sunglasses and walks, corduroy trousers still tucked into his grey wool socks, into the street as the staff slump on the floor, knocked out by the smell of lentil-fart.

I lolled.

irc

If you jump red lights you’re increasing your chances of get killed.

If you aren’t capable of establishing whether or not it is safe to go through a red light or not then you have a low life expectancy anyway. There are countless give ways where there are no lights to tell people when to go and the rider has to look for other traffic before going through the junction. Do the same thing at red lights and there is no increased danger at all.

Off the top of my head most cyclist fatalities I read about are either being hit by an overtaking vehicles or crushed by a left turning HGV/Bus neither of which are reduced by stopping at red lights.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

You shouldn’t be jumping the lights for own safety Mr Woppit.

Don’t think I’d take the time to shout abuse at another rider though.

Learn from it or carry on as you feel fit.

brooess
    Free Member

and there is no increased danger at all.

Not to you maybe…

And as above, it engenders disrespect for cyclists in general. which means it increases the chances of the rest of us getting killed.
    Thanks for that…

And don’t forget that should the worst happen and you cause an accident, then because you’ve just broken the law you’re likely to be found liable for the consequences and get sued for damages or sent to prison. Or have to live with someone dying or getting injured for the sake of your own convenience.
    Your choice.

This is EXACTLY the kind of entitled attitude amongst drivers that’s killing cylists. I don’t see that behaving that way on a bike is an anyway more morally acceptable because of your choice of transport…

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Roadie abuse.’ is closed to new replies.