Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Road/Gravel rim.
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve a nice pair of old Hope hubs(32Hole) that I want to build up for use on my road/gravel bike. I’m currently on a pair of 29er BOR rims on Superstar/Novetec hubs and want to build up something a bit lighter and easier to set up tubeless. Aesthetically I’d like them to be disc specific and wide enough to work with 30-40 tyres. Budget is flexible but not to Enve levels.

duncan

18bikes sorted me out with some Pacenti SL25s, and later, Pacenti Forzas, for two pairs of wheels for this purpose, and they built up very nicely. Not scary-light (440g and 475g respectively) but good for tubeless and a decent width.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

H Plus Son Hydra

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cheers. Hadn’t considered either.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Grails

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

DT R460DB?

460g, disc, tubeless, £30

mattsccm
    Free Member

I have both Pacenti CL 25’s and SL25’s. Both fine. Mist are good. Buy wide, light and tubeless.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cheers more to peruse. I had been scratching my head a bit as a lot of the road rim weights seem to be on the higher side. The BOR rims I have are 388g and were mtb rims, taken a bit of abuse too. I fitted some new tyres today and noticed the 4bar max which is where the weight is missing I suppose. I had started looking at Nextie and Light Bicycle 29er rims but would probably still be right close to the max pressures with some tyres.

corroded
    Free Member

I’m really happy with my Grail on DT240 wheels. Good price too.

Northwind

Which BOR rims? They’re mostly pretty dang light

njee20
    Free Member

I was wondering about the BOR 373 disc rims for a road build, prices are good, and they seem to be about the only sub-400g road disc rim I’ve found.

Agree with Northwind that with BOR rims you’re unlikely to get much lighter.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Yes its looking that way, but as I said check max pressures. Its 388’s I have. I got them from Superstar a few years back, built on Novatec hubs. Tubeless was a pain with mtb tyres and I gave up trying to get the S-Ones seated when I put them on the road/gravel/cx’r. I was hoping that something road specific would have came in lighter but it seems not. Interestingly Light Bike rims most of the 29er stuff is lighter than the road rims.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, carbon clinchers (for the road) need to be rather overbuilt, so they’re usually not that light, generally deeper than MTB ones too.

bigrich
    reggiegasket
    Free Member

road rims deal with high pressures so tend to be built to handle that, and that means they weigh what they weigh.

29er rims can be lighter but they’ll not appreciate the high pressures of proper road riding. I ran some 29er Crests on the commuter for a while and they fell apart in no time (and they were a complete pig to fit road tyres).

njee20
    Free Member

dont buy heavy road rims, buy lightweight 29er xc rims.

As the OP said that’s what he’s doing, and far exceeding the maximum pressure for the rim. I’d not be wanting to put 100+ PSI on a hookless carbon MTB clincher (and I’ve got a pair).

YoKaiser
    Free Member

At the moment I’m on the borderline. I’d be using 30-40c tyres and they normally inflate to between 40 and 60 psi. Light bicycle seems to be 40psi max, though these nextie rims are 70.

http://www.nextie.net/mountain-clincher-27mm-NXT29RM27

jimdubleyou

H Plus Son Hydra

I run these on DT350s on my Arkose.

I have set up Nanos and Cross Boss on them tubeless, but you need to bring your own tape.

No idea on weight, but durability has been fine.

bigrich

I’d not be wanting to put 100+ PSI

you’d never do that with 30-40C tyres.wide n tubeless at low pressures are ace.

I run 38C G-one at 50psi tubeless and can ride at 30km/h average with a bit of effort, and hit up the gravel/singletrack/anything.

wouldn’t put 100 in anything wider than 23C.

Northwind

Aye, second that, if you’re running such high pressure there’s no point in running fatter tyres. I used to run by 35c kojaks at 60psi and even then most people thought that was high (I’ll be honest, I mostly just liked how they looked)

YoKaiser
    Free Member

After reading the road plus thread I must admit I’m slight 650b curious. Keep my existing wheelset with 30ish road tyres and build a 650b set with bigger when the off the beaten path stuff is on the cards. Gets away from having two pair of fairly similar wheels.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Road/Gravel rim.’ is closed to new replies.