Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Roadbike wheel advice (sorry)
  • scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Getting new wheels for the roadbike next month. Going for RS-81s but can’t decide between the C24 or C35 rims.

My main riding consists of solo rides, usually anything between 50 & 100 miles and with a fair amount of climbing (2,500 – 5,000 feet) over the bumpy surrey roads.

Not sure whether to go for the lighter (and cheaper) C24s or the slightly heaview but more aero and stronger C35s.

Any advice welcome. Ta

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Save your money, get some of these

Wheels – Road/CX

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Thanks. They definitely do look like an option. V.nice.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think they’re worth considering; seem like a good bunch of chaps. I got hold of some of their disc wheels and they look spot on (won’t be using them for some time though…)

Campag Zonda’s look like a decent set for not much money.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You won’t go wrong with some good 32 spoke hand builts though. Stay true forever, even when you hit rocks/potholes etc. etc. which is what you want if you just want to ride your bike!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Bizarrely the C35’s are heavier than the C50’s 😕
    I’d have a good search around and you should find some Dura Ace C24’s on offer.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

JRA do their own wheels which are probably decent http://www.justridingalong.com/wheels/in-stock/700c.html

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Bizarrely the C35’s are heavier than the C50’s

Really? I thought the C35s were 1631g and the C50s 1908g?

Could only see a minimal weight difference between the RS81 and Dura Ace, with the extra cash appear to be going on the smooth as hell DA hubs?

Rorschach
    Free Member

My mistake,I was looking at the RS80’s I had 😳 .The hubs were pretty basic tbh.I ended up relacing them after a couple of years with some Novatech cartridge jobbies.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Tempted by getting JRA to lace up some dura ace hubs onto some SL23 rims now. Slightly heavier than the DA C24s but less of a risk if I ding a wheel and need new rims.

Similar price to DA C24s.

They have these in stock: http://www.justridingalong.com/wheels/in-stock/shimano-dura-ace-hubs-laced-to-pacenti-sl23-rims.html

cynic-al
    Free Member

Id go tubeless.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I could with them.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Roadbike wheel advice (sorry)’ is closed to new replies.