Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Roadbike Gearing?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m heading to the Alps with the roadbike in a couple of months time and was looking to fit an 11-32 cassette in place of the current 11-28 that’s on the bike.
    The bike currently runs 11 speed Ultegra with a short cage mech and a compact chainset.

Could I get away with running the 11-32 with the short cage mech as long as I’m not cross chaining?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Technically yes but I wouldn’t risk it personally. 34-28 should be plenty low enough, it’s not steep out there it just goes on forever.

cynic-al
    Free Member

neilsonwheels – Member

Technically yes

How?

domderbyshire
    Free Member

28 will be fine with a compact. The hills are long, but generally not too steep. Of course there are steep sections, but you’ll manage those ok.

Haze

As above, 28 should be plenty…

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

How.?

As long as you don’t use the the biggest sprockets at the back you be fine. You can fit a 11-32 but it will be no use to man nor beast.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Useless interesting logic 😐

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

😀

jam-bo

It’s less about the chain length and more clearing the cassette. A longer b tension screw and winding it right in might get you a bit more. Or use a MTB mech. I’m running an xt that copes with a 32 cassette fine.

I can ride up hills just fine on a 28, but I’m faster spinning on a 32 even though it doesn’t feel it, you’ll certainly feel the benefit at the end of long days as well.

singletrackmind

A few newer bikes in our road club are running 11-28 and some riders dont like the gaps . As for Alpine rides , unless you are doing multiple passes on the same day you should be oK with a 34/28.
    The climbs only steepen on the hairpins and mostly the gradients are 8 or 9% . They just go on for hours .
    Try and spend a few hours hill repping before you go , or deliberatly choose a lumpy route to build some leg strength before you go.

In my limited experience the tdf climbs seemed easier as they had count down boards with distance and gradient . The lesser known ones were tough as no info on how steep or how far was left ( no garmin )

aP
    Free Member

I’ve just come back from the Maratona and was ok with 34/29. The only thing about having significantly lower gears is that you just spend more time riding up the climbs – unless you’re carrying luggage when lower gears make perfect sense.

whitestone
    Free Member

Not done any of the big alpine climbs but those on Majorca (Sa Calobra, Puig Major, etc.) are just a case of getting a gear that seems slightly too easy at the bottom and just sticking with it as there’s rarely much of a change in gradient. Sa Calobra’s basically 6% with a short section of about 8% for instance, I think I did it in 34/22 which was nice and steady, only getting out of the saddle to provide a bit of rest for the muscles.

oldgit
    Free Member

Plenty of newcomers to our club get by perfectly well on 34/28. Extremely light fellas do alright on 34/32.
    I’m going to fit a 27 for the first time ever for the Pyrenees, I think it’ll be sweet.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Roadbike Gearing?’ is closed to new replies.