Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 249 total)
  • Road World Champs in Yorkshire
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

God that looks bleak at the start…
    Nice to see the BBC coverage.

tomhoward

Watched the junior women ITT yesterday. The first 3km was essentially my morning commute up Otley road. Normally took me 10-12mins, they were doing it in under 5…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

You were only going to work. They were at it.
    Whole bunch of new QOMs I suspect now.

weeksy

That doesn’t look fun now does it.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I suppose it goes with the job, but I can’t say I’m envious of them this morning, I was glad of a change of clothes once into the office today. I don’t think I’ll be headed out to cheer them on today.

Pleased to see the coverage but disappointing the BBC and others didn’t bother with the paras on Saturday (which was a lovely day).

they were doing it in under 5…

And they variously got lost or held up in traffic…

nbt

That hungarian lad did well to hold his bike for so long after hitting the pothole, but just how far did he go once he finally hit the deck?! You can tell how wet it is, he must have covered fifty yards on his backside yet his skinsuit is stll intact!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

We’ve even got (1 flash of) lightning here now.

Gods what a miserable day to be out on a road bike on your own.

nbt

Footage of the crash I mentioned:

crazy-legs

Pleased to see the coverage but disappointing the BBC and others didn’t bother with the paras on Saturday (which was a lovely day).

Wasn’t covered live but it was recorded and shown later as a highlights programme with lots of interviews. The atmosphere on the finish straight for the paras was amazing. Good crowds.

It’s properly miserable out there, I suspect that the finishing loop in Harrogate is going to be on the verge of unrideable if this weather continues. Shame cos yesterday was (mostly) a lovely day.

sboardman

Rode the sportive on Sunday (first one I’ve done) and got soaked to the bone. Really enjoyed the route, the circuit should make for interesting racing.

Will hopefully get to see some of it live, but not too disappointed I’m stuck in work today…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

It’s properly miserable out there, I suspect that the finishing loop in Harrogate is going to be on the verge of unrideable if this weather continues. Shame cos yesterday was (mostly) a lovely day.

Don’t think the finishing loop will be too bad, they’ve all been out practicing it so know the two hard bends into the bridges well by now and it’ll drain fine down there.

The loops (ladies this afternoon I believe) coming via burnt Yates (edit Shaw Mills) though will be interesting over the bridge down there that they’ve not practiced so much.

The finishing loop will make the road races interesting though if it carries on as is, they’ll all be pushing for position before pot Bank and penny pot to avoid being held up by the group any hours but with this weather there will be some big gaps opening up there I think. On the coverage they look to take those bends slower than I do even with closed roads. That said they climb out the other side a lot more vigorously than I do!

Wasn’t covered live but it was recorded and shown later as a highlights programme with lots of interviews.

The recording was agency/uci footage though I believe but yes, they did at least screen it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What snorkel for a world’s TT?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I must say I’m disappointed G isn’t riding the TT though when the course would suit him so well. the final loop is taylor made for falling off.

TiRed

Where’s the risk assessment for rain-filled potholes? What a slide. I had one of those once on a Ride London. Not a single mark on me nor the kit but slid for ages. Glad he is OK.

whitestone
    Free Member

the final loop is taylor made for falling off.

I hope the misspelling was deliberate – very appropriate given the location.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I hope the misspelling was deliberate – very appropriate given the location.

Indeed. Would suit him to a tea.

But alas no, autocorrect took tailor and changed it to Taylors, I spotted the S but not the Y. I guess it’s based on the usage frequency. Read into that what you will, (though no, I don’t work for them)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

World class marshalling, instructing pro riders on severe hazards. 😮

bikebouy
    Free Member

My Mrs has been on TV loads of times… all at various points of the 14k loop..

She’s not bothering today because of the torrential downpours… 🤷‍♂️

I’m going up tomorrow, got loads planned with a certain Cycle Clothing company…

But Harrogate (apart from some grumpy locals) has indeed embraced the event and has been putting on a show for it.

Hope the weather cheers up, its countrywide these downpours so not all “it’s grim up norf”

🤷‍♂️

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

But Harrogate (apart from some grumpy locals) has indeed embraced the event and has been putting on a show for it.

And somehow the traffic is better than usual.

fatoldgit

I had planned a ride out from Harrogate to the intermediate timepoint but saw the weather and thought “ sod that for a game of soldiers “ so it was a wander down to the bottom of parliament street… those folks don’t hang around going up there.
    Looking out my window now I’m not sure if I should risk the ride or dodge back into town with my brolly, but I’ll be there somewhere
    Noticed the average speeds yesterday were around the 25 mph mark… that’s going some in the circuit…

johndoh
    Free Member

Some shameful posts on Facebook at the moment – such hate and vitriol coming from some corners and that is a real shame. I cannot believe how many such ill-informed people there are out there.

Looking forward to going back into town tomorrow to watch the men’s TT then have a wander around the Fanzone (assuming it has been re-opened) without my kids around trying to make me spend money every 7 seconds.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Racing delayed until 1520…

Mrs says it’s still pissing down.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Ladies postponed to 15.30 start.

Hmmm I might be able to catch the end of that from the beer purveying Comfort of the corner haus then.

Edit: ah, reduced gaps so not likely to make it before the finish

tomhoward

Some shameful posts on Facebook at the moment – such hate and vitriol coming from some corners and that is a real shame. I cannot believe how many such ill-informed people there are out there.

If you converse with them it doesn’t take long for the motives to come out. ‘There is the potential for me to be mildly inconvenienced, so **** anyone who wants to enjoy it.’ The depths of the barrel they will scrape to to find a reason (that doesn’t affect them) to be outraged is properly hilarious.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

If you converse with them it doesn’t take long for the motives to come out.

Same motive it is for everything isn’t it “I’m a miserable egotistical cock womble”? Add to that the “anonymity” of faceache and the like and bam, trolls are us.

martinhutch

How the F do you get standing water accumulating to that extent and no marshalling to direct folk to the other side of the road?

bikebouy
    Free Member

They’re off..

Tentatively…

Still rainy, though not as much as it was.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

How the F do you get standing water accumulating to that extent and no marshalling to direct folk to the other side of the road?

Well that road is like that every few yards in heavy rain, you’d need about 6000 marshals but, also, wtf would possess you to try ride through that on a closed road?

tomhoward

also, wtf would possess you to try ride through that on a closed road?

SPLASHY SPLASHY!!!😃😃😃

martinhutch

Well that road is like that every few yards in heavy rain, you’d need about 6000 marshals but, also, wtf would possess you to try ride through that on a closed road?

No it isn’t, even round here. That was about a foot deep covering half the carriageway.

Sure, it was a bad split second decision by the rider, but pretty inevitable when you consider the head down, full gas approach of a lot of TT riders.

EDIT: Looks like they’ve sorted it out now, women’s TT coverage has just gone by it and it’s coned off with a marshall.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

No it isn’t, even round here.

Am I wrong in thinking he was on the A61 between ripon/ripley? It’s a lousy road for standing water.

fathomer

Slightly off topic, but anyone got any recommendations for spots for watching on Saturday and Sunday? Grinton Moor on Sunday seems the obvious place but don’t think the women go that way?

martinhutch

No, probably the best climb is the one out of Lofthouse in Nidderdale, you could ride to it on the Nidderdale MTB route out of Ramsgill.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

No, probably the best climb is the one out of Lofthouse in Nidderdale

That really is a horrible climb. Even once it flattens off a bit it still drags on and on.

Be a great place to watch mind, where are you headed from? Norwood Edge will be a good spot too, I’d be tempted to go there and pedal back into town to watch the end. Lofthouse you may struggle to beat them back from depending on traffic.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anyone else get the feeling that Chris and Rochelle really don’t get on that well?

nickc

holy pink overshoes, batman, that was some effort by Chloe Dygart. Amazing

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 Dygart.

Bad rims but what a performance. Smashed it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Slightly off topic, but anyone got any recommendations for spots for watching on Saturday and Sunday?

Are you looking to go out on the moors or just want to hang around watching riders go by?

I’d be heading to the inner loop of the 14k loop in Harrogate, they’ll be doing laps of it and you’ll see more of them than just a long drag on top of a moor (like lofthouse) Otley/Beckwithshaw road will be busy but they’ll be coming down from the climb out of Harrogate and slowing down to head past the Cricket Club…

fatoldgit

Saturday my plan is to watch on Norwood edge then ride back into town and watch them on the climb up Cornwall Road from the bridge at the bottom
    Not sure about Sunday yet but suspect it will be tele then Cornwall road climb again

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 249 total)

The topic ‘Road World Champs in Yorkshire’ is closed to new replies.