Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Road work speed limits
  • Spin
    Free Member

Lately I’ve noticed road works with a reduced speed limit that extends for a significant distance after the works, sometimes up to a mile perhaps.

I don’t remember that previously, it used to go back to national limit almost immediately. Anyone know when it started and what the thinking behind it is?

Drac

To keep the working safe by slowing the cars well before and after. I think it was a Thursday.

Spin
    Free Member

How does slowing cars after they’ve passed the workforce keep the workforce safe?

taxi25
    Free Member

Traffic speeding away from the roadworks might discourage traffic from slowing down for them. No idea if this is true but it seems possible.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How does slowing cars after they’ve passed the workforce keep the workforce safe?

Presumably the limit has to apply to the road and therefore in both directions?

That and if its something like the motorway upgrades youve got lorries joining the carriageway in the outside lane from the central reservation that need to get to the inside lane before Mr Audi comes up behind, sits in his blind spot, pulls over to undertake and gets flattened by 44t of lorry and spoil moving over.

cheers_drive

I expect it’s because a lot of people start accelerating back up to the nsl as soon as they see the sign rather than once they’ve past it.

cr4sh
    Free Member

Was also told recently as an aside after my boss had a speed awareness course from a speeding offence in roadworks that often the reason you see no one working in the works is because they have stopped work as its too dangerous due to the speeds people are travelling within them – even citing workers being hit by stone chips – the faster you go the more dangerous they are.

whitestone
    Free Member

Are the roadworks in just one location or are they due to move further down the road? If that’s the case then it might be easier for the contractor just to get one speed restriction for the whole works then move around within it.

Another possibility could be that there’s a junction after the road works and rather than let everyone speed up to “make time” it’s safer to extend the speed limit past that point.

Without knowing where the roadworks are and what’s been agreed between the Highways Authority and the contractor it’s really hard to give a reasoned answer.

Drac

I expect it’s because a lot of people start accelerating back up to the nsl as soon as they see the sign rather than once they’ve past it.

Exactly.

Whitestone has it too it’s often for rolling roadworks, you’ll just have inconvenienced for a bit longer.

Spin
    Free Member

That might explain a few hundred metres but not much longer.

Spin
    Free Member

it’s often for rolling roadworks

The latest one I saw was re-surfacing around a junction so not rolling or at least not rolling quick enough to explain it!

thepurist

Some of it is down to traffic management too – if roadworks finish just before a junction they’ll likely continue the limit until after the exits etc. Plus if the limit is meant to be enforceable there are extra hoops to jump through, so moving the NSL signs is not worth the effort.

kayak23

Let’s say the section goes on for 1 mile after.

Had you been able to go 70mph, you’d save 22 seconds over going 50mph. Meh…

toby1

you’ll just have inconvenienced for a bit longer.

At about 2 years currently, with the current plan to take till the end of next year. I fully understand protection of the workforce, but I think people have lost patience with the limits and are abusing them more now, with a lot of time still to run. The signage is also horrible, I got lost the other day and ended up in the works area, 2 days later saw someone facing the wrong way in a narrow lane about to join the main carriageway. As for anytime after 9pm when the road is just shut and you have to go on a 14 mile detour …

For reference A14, the road of hell, not to hell just of it. I love the fact I don’t drive to work!

crazy-legs

If it’s only a couple of miles before another section of roadworks, they’ll keep the limit in place as it’s far safer to have the traffic stay at 50mph than come out of one section, smash it up to 70 and then slam on again to 50.

Also if there’s heavy plant exiting the roadworks, you want the traffic around going more slowly to allow easier merging.

Same with lane blockages, if there’s HGV out in Lane 3, you need to give them opportunity to get back to Lane 1 / 2 at a reasonable speed, not try and deal with it while everyone around is flooring it up to 70 (ie 80…)

scotroutes

I’ve seen many examples of this too and it has nothing to do with rolling traffic management or proximity to junctions. My conclusion is that it is to reduce the possibility of a collision with traffic slowing on approach to the roadworks. Maybe too many dozy folk not seeing brake lights ahead and then panic braking, or skidding etc.or getting impatient and u-turning.

I’m also seeing temporary rumble strips on approach – and folk driving around them 😜

bikebouy
    Free Member

Exactly.

Whitestone has it too it’s often for rolling roadworks, you’ll just have to be more considerate for a bit longer.

FIFM

wrightyson
    Free Member

Was also told recently as an aside after my boss had a speed awareness course from a speeding offence in roadworks that often the reason you see no one working in the works is because they have stopped work as its too dangerous due to the speeds people are travelling within them

Utter bollox!, not you or your boss btw, just that sweeping statement.

Dickyboy

Seen this on the A413 nr Great Missenden* recently but I’m thinking it must be done to encompass the diverted traffic rejoining the main road either side of the village.

* 2 miles of 30 limit for works traffic crossing one roundabout to access works on a side road.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Utter bollox!, not you or your boss btw, just that sweeping statement.

Sounds plausible, often seen speed cameras being used by workers on sites rather than the police. And if the risk assessment says reduce traffic speed to 50mph to lower the risk and that doesnt happen then the employer is pretty much bound to stop work or be in breach of the HS@W act.

jimdubleyou

Every significant roadworks I can remember recently has had average speed cameras in it (admittedly, I don’t get out in the car much).

The number of people that don’t understand the word average* is mind boggling though…

* or just don’t give a shit.

bikebouy
    Free Member

One of my mates (ewoke owner) says the M27 50mph cameras don’t work.. says he drives through them at about 65mph and never had a ticket..

Until last weekend.

I don’t think he GAS either, but his car is essential for his job.. So lets see.

garage-dweller

@bikebuoy

I reckon they are and have been working as the number of drivers doing 70 the whole way along has reduced over the time they’ve been there.

In February the Soton Echo reported 6000 tickets in a month along there and the 50 limit has got longer since then (in Feb it only reached J9 and now to J11).

MoreCashThanDash

So long as the points from those average speed cameras result in a ban at 12 points – I don’t give a shit how vital your car is for your job, the aim of a punishment is to punish and make you learn – as well as protect society from your actions.

bikebouy
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>Premier Icongarage-dweller
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

@bikebuoy

I reckon they are and have been working as the number of drivers doing 70 the whole way along has reduced over the time they’ve been there.

</div>

I agree they work, I just don’t get his attitude to the speed limits… he’s someone who does 40k a year just for work… I’m seeing him tomorrow and I’m going to ask him for an update.

TBH, I do hope that when the Smart Motorways finished that the speed limit is reduced to 50mph from Sotty J1 to Emsworth ….

Its been a pleasure driving along there recently.

fasthaggis

The number of people that don’t understand the word average* is mind boggling though…

Indeed,hilarious watching how many brake when they get close to the cameras.

* or just don’t give a shit.

and there is always going to be a lot of that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

One of my mates (ewoke owner) says the M27 50mph cameras don’t work.. says he drives through them at about 65mph and never had a ticket..

You probably can though, as its an average.

Error in the pseedo makes it more like 62mph, spend half the time in traffic doing an indicated 50, that’s more like 48mph, average works out at 55, less than the 10%+3 that triggers the NIP.

Bit like all the trucks that speed through in the middle lane, I guess they’ve figured out that their 56mph limiter doesn’t trigger one either.

andykirk
    Free Member

What a strange topic to post on.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Road work speed limits’ is closed to new replies.