Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Road wheels…..again…
  • crikey
    Free Member

When I was racing, the various doomed attacks were announced by the guys in the bunch making donkey noises….

trickydisco
    Free Member

those Kinlin 300’s look like the planet x model b rim?

mustard
    Free Member

They do don’t they.

So should I just save my money and get a pair from Planet x then? Currently only £130

What do spokes weigh? I take it Planet x don’t use nova tech for their hubs – there is a 435g difference between what I have calculated and their weight that I presume can’t be accounted for by spokes alone, esp as they are using bladed spokes and ally nipples… How many times can I go round in circles on this?!

At least the less I spend on these now the more I can spend on something silly later in the year (or actually wheels and suspension for the Swift before Whinlatter but that’s a whole other thread!)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mustard
    Free Member

I’m sitting here laughing at myself for having started looking at mid-price wheelsets to now considering the bargain basement 😆

carbon337
    Free Member

The Al30 with the light weight PX skewers drops another 50g from the weight. 1680

Opinions?

mustard
    Free Member

Al – if you’ve not knocked yourself out banging your head on the wall reading all my faffing – have you still got the planet x carbon rims you bought?

I’m daft buying a cheap set of wheels that will just end up being brought out to lob in the back of a support car so I’m going to man up and see how scary braking on carbon is! There, I’ve decided properly and actually and stuff this time.
    Planet X carbon tubs
    Cheapo hubs from ebay
    Some spokes

p.s. if all my waffle about the kinlin rims has made anyone want any this place has them in white and they work out at about £40 each including postage. http://www.cnc-bike.de They also have xt hubs for about £40 a pair!

njee20
    Free Member

so I’m going to man up and see how scary braking on carbon is!

In the dry (on both sets of Bontragers I’ve had) it’s absolutely fine. In the wet it takes a couple of seconds for anything to happen. Manageable, if not ideal.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Planet X carbon tubs

question is .. are you going for 50 or 20mm?

I’m in same debate/dilemma as you and i have decided to go with tubs (and use them for the cyclocross season as well)

mustard
    Free Member

If Al hasn’t got rid of the 20mm ones he got, and wants to, I’ll go for them. Otherwise, well, you’ve seen how good my decision making has been up to this point!

Manageable, if not ideal

so a bit like when I went back to v’s on the mtb then?!

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Kinlins are not much like PX model B rims, they are 3-4mm higher profile and much better finished.

Just get the damn tubs Andy, you know you want to 😉

Edit, carbon breaking great in the dry just a little on/off in the wet. SS yellow pads are your friend.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Al hasn’t got rid of the 20mm ones he got, and wants to, I’ll go for them. Otherwise, well, you’ve seen how good my decision making has been up to this point!

same here!

I like the idea of the 20mm one’s because they are cheaper and much lighter (being 250grams) but i keep being told how good 50mm tubs are (as i’ll be using them for TT’s and cyclocross races at the end of the season)

wish i had enough money for 2 sets

mustard
    Free Member

Thanks Dougie – I think it’s gotta be done, it’s just taken me a while to talk myself into it!

I never got round to asking for Greigs opinion, maybe he would have goaded me into it sooner!

That’s useful to know about the Kinlins too – carbon for now and I’ll come back to them once I’ve scared myself inside out!

wish i had enough money for 2 sets

sell a kidney?

I think my Hemlock is going to be sold soon to help fund bits for the 29er; I’m embracing the lycra for now.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I could be wrong, but i don’t think BFoaBT rated tubs that highly? 😈 *stirring*

Since you copied me by buying carbon soled shoes, does this mean i should copy you and buy carbon wheels now too? This could be a slippery slope… 😛

being 250grams)

That’s as much as my new shoes weigh! 😯

trickydisco
    Free Member

BFofBT

?

does he/she race?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Brain farts of a bike tart. I think he did race but can’t remember for sure. I’m only stirring mostly, i have had to live with Mustard’s indecisiveness over wheels which has delayed the ordering of spokes/hubs for me so i’m glad a decision has finally been made. And I encouraged him to buy bling 😀

mustard
    Free Member

Ah ha! brainfartsofabiketart.com
    They do seem to be a bit love em or hate em but you’ll never know if you don’t try!

this mean i should copy you and buy carbon wheels now too?

lets see how i get on first eh? 2 tubs is going to be enough of a pain to glue without having to do yours too!

So, next question; which tyres? – we could be here a while 😆

njee20
    Free Member

just a little on/off in the wet. SS yellow pads are your friend.

It’s more off/off/off/off/off/off/on I found 🙂

Yellow pads aren’t pad though.

mustard
    Free Member

Looks like Planet X have made my decision for me they only have the 20 hole 50mm So 20mm it is!

Tyre recommendations? id I see something Tufo about being a bit stiff?

Do I use tape or glue or both?

njee20
    Free Member

I used Conti Competitions, which were good, never punctured. Went ‘flat’ on top a little quicker than I’d hoped. Not particularly cheap. Would be tempted by Schwalbe if I was doing it again.

Got our OCD spanner at the LBS to glue them, he did glue/tape/glue – I see no point at all, I’d just use glue if I was doing it again.

Lifer
    Free Member

Kind of related, any recommendations for a front road hub for disc brake?

njee20
    Free Member

100mm spacing? So not a road hub… Like my A2Zs, not sure they’re available individually, but cheap and light, be spot on on the road.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

How many times can I go round in circles on this?!

Loving this pun…good work 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

Looks like Planet X have made my decision for me they only have the 20 hole 50mm So 20mm it is!

yea.. iv’e been keeping an eye on stock of the rear one.. IT goes up and down like a yo yo

😯

mustard
    Free Member

IT goes up and down like a yo yo

😯 It wasn’t that much a minute ago, has someone fallen asleep on the keyboard?!

I’ll have to do a couple of hillclimbs or mountain TTs once I have the wheels to get the most out of the light weight 😆

mustard
    Free Member

Just to save starting an new thread in my ongoing wheel saga….

Would you use wheels you are (or at least were, I might not be any more) 5kg over the weight limit for? – Planet X give a ‘recommended’ rider weight limit of 80kg for their handbuilt wheels on these rims and I was 84.9 last September.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I was over the weight limit on my carbon wheels, sure there will be a bit of inbuilt safety margin, just stay away from drop offs and doubles 😉

Tufo extreme is really easy to use BTW and works well.

mustard
    Free Member

Ta Dougie, on both counts. That sounds less messy than glue.

I think I’m a wee bit lighter now too. 🙂

Anyone any thoughts on Vittoria corsa evo cx or sc tubs? Have a couple of pairs of Vittoria clinchers and haven’t had any problems with them so far, even teh worringly cheap pair I got for the now deceased winter bike (unrelated!).

mustard
    Free Member

That’s the biggest part done then…20mm Planet X tubs ordered and some planet x qrs to go with them – phew!

Will get the hubs ordered when I get home and I think it’ll be Schwalbe Ultremo’s from bike discount, but will wait and see where I get spokes from after I’ve measured the rims.

crikey
    Free Member

I’d be rethinking that Tufo tape idea; the problem with tubs is that they have a higher rolling resistance than normal tyres and tubes, and this is related in part to the way the glue or tape moves. Have a look on the net about peoples experiences with Tufo tape; what you gain in convenience you may well lose in performance, and it would be a shame to end up with even slower wheels…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Will building Stans Alpha’s onto some dati hubs be more likely to result in death if I use 20/24 spokes Vs 24/28? Back of a fag packet says there’s 50g in it for a pair of wheels and my current shimano R550’s have survived with with 16/20, but either way I’ll be a lb lighter, but if i’m going to add 50g of spokes, I could save myself £50 and get the MrRide hubs rather than the Dati ones and add another 30g, then go back to DT or mavic rims and gain another 130g……..

So, go as light as possible**, or save over £100 and possibly gain reliability, decisions decisions……..

For my one and only raceing* bike.

*it has never and probably never will be raced, but i like nice things and have a few £ in the bank to spend.

**ironic as I’m definaely a fatty(95kg) right now having not ridden for 3 months due to my arm

[edit] just read the BR review, think I’ll lose some weight first, they didn’t seem too keen on the alphas with low spoke counts if you’re anything other than a wippet.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Road wheels…..again…’ is closed to new replies.