Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Road Wheels ~ Scribe, Prime, DT or something else?
  • Kuco

Does anyone use Zipp wheels?

P20

@shortbread_fanylion

Ive been here long enough to this properly!

scribecycling
    Free Member

Hi folks, Alan here from Scribe. I jumped onto the thread to highlight an inaccuracy, it has been stated in one of the posts that Scribe use Bitex hubs, this couldn’t be further from the truth. Scribe’s hubs, much like our rims, have been designed in-house from the ground up. This allows us to bring unique products to the market but only after a rigorous testing program based in both the UK and Ireland. The whole philosophy behind Scribe is to offer riders the best wheels possible and for the level of specification and technology in our wheels, you get a seriously high-performing wheelset for the money. If anyone would like to know more about our products or the Scribe brand in general, we are always available via email or chat. Thanks folks.

mrb123
    Free Member

Can you confirm who actually makes your hubs for you Alan?

kern
    Free Member

They are hardly going to give you that information FFS, would Rapha, Yeti or any other brand for that matter? Come on man, you could be an industry insider, sure why not ask to see their full business portfolio.

curto80
    Free Member

I have some scribe carbon disc wheels. They are fantastic. They remind me of some Rose RS1400 wheels I had a few years ago that I had forever regretted selling. Personally I much prefer them to equivalent Hunts

w00dster

Curto80, just wondering what Hunts you have tested the Rose and Scribe wheels against.
    I’ve ridden pretty much every major brand of wheel and being brutally honest, if on a blind test I would have no idea what I was on.
    I liked Zipp 303’s firecrest because I found them aesthetically pleasing. I rated my Bontrager Aeolus 5’s as they seemed fast. But the Aeolus were no different than my Edco 50mm wheels or my Hunt 50mm wheels. In terms of fast (aero) wheels, I preferred the Edco clinchers as they were easy to change tyres on. Fastest wheel I’ve had was a Reynolds 65mm set, but an absolute pig to change the tyre on. I’d race on the Reynolds on Crit circuits where a flat is very unlikely, but not for Road Races. They weren’t fast because of some sorcery used by Reynolds, they were fast because they were deep, with an aero tyre profile and a fast race tyre.
    Durability wise, Vision Metron 40’s in my experience are the only carbon wheel that hasn’t been great, but then that’s used for more wet weather rides. Been sent back to the manufacturer twice.
    Probably the biggest difference was Bontrager Aeolus tubulars. Very light wheel so made the bike feel lively, about 1200 grams and also running a light race tubular. Probably a couple of seconds faster than a heavier wheel up a 40 minute climb, but still felt lively.
    I currently have Bontrager RSL 37mm wheels, Hunt Aerodynamisist, Bontrager Aeolus Pro 37mm, and there is so little difference between the wheels it’s hard to tell them apart.
    I’d absolutely purchase Scribe wheels, because any performance difference between them and my £2k wheels is going to be pretty much negligible. So for the price it’s a good deal, but I wouldn’t see them being any “better” than my Hunt wheels or my old Zipp 303’s.

continuity
    Free Member

Interesting that my reply quoting the ‘how to make your own Chinese wheel company’ YouTube classic was deleted.

Does a mod own scribe?

mrb123
    Free Member

A post from earlier this afternoon from a new forum member singing the praises of the Scribes has also disappeared. All very mysterious.

gary

A post from earlier this afternoon from a new forum member singing the praises of the Scribes has also disappeared. All very mysterious.

Ah, I wasn’t imagining that particularly astroturfy post then 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

It was from a newly joined member and their first post that read like a PR piece.

cynic-al
    Free Member

That video was funny and interesting…. accurate?

footflaps

Scribe wheels get excellent reviews from all the roadie sites / magazines, so they seem to be genuinely good wheels. I’ll probably get a pair of their 60mm deep wheels in the next month or so for my Orbea Orca.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

This thread did pique my interest in Scribe wheels and everything out there does seem positive. Leaf spring freehub is an interesting concept too. I was duking it out between zipp and hunt but these are in the mix now too. Very intrigued by the solo post extolling the wheels though, kinda makes me suspicious over all the great things being said on social media.

breninbeener

My post drawing attention to the gushing praise has also been removed…..

gary

kinda makes me suspicious over all the great things being said on social media.

Easiest to just assume any social media post is a pointless sample – whether paid or just unsupported opinion. There’s a decent review here – sounds like a genuinely good set of wheels, with the main issue being how noisy you like your hubs

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/02/scribe-aero-wide-42-disc-brake-road-wheelset-review/

continuity
    Free Member

Most modern carbon wheelsets are good enough that they will review well. You’ll never experience the downsides of cheap hubs or spokes in a review timeline – it will take a year or so of use for the misalignment to **** the bearings.

That doesn’t mean it’s worth paying 2x the price for some other dick to import a set of wheels from Ican or wherever and slap their cool-guy logo on. Just order them yourself.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Road Wheels ~ Scribe, Prime, DT or something else?’ is closed to new replies.