• This topic has 14 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Yak.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Road tyres – Vittoria Rubino pro 3's
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Anyone used these tyres? Know two thirds of sod all about road tyres & Merlin are doing a pair for £32.50 at the moment.

jonk
    muddydwarf
    Free Member

Unfortunately those don’t go with the frame – all black would but not the colours offered!

Any views on the Vittoria Rubino’s?

jonathan
    Free Member

Got the last version of the Rubino Pros and loved them (25mm ones). Recommended for high mileage, rough roads etc

rondo101
    Free Member

I also have Rubino Pros on my commuter/winter trainer. Zero punctures so far, despite lots of use on rough country lanes & noticeable cuts in the tread. Will replace with the same as & when required. 25mm, for the record.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Are they good as all rounders? reasonably fast rolling? At 225grms they are quite light.

prawny

I had a 23mm rubino pro on the back of my old commuter, noticeably more comfortable than the gator skin it replaced and no punctures.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

They seem a good tyre for the price, but you are all talking of them as commuter tyres, i was thinking of putting these on my carbon bike – is that false economy?
    Looking for a comfortable yet fast rolling tyre (that won’t break the bank) for an upcoming coast to coast ride.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

I got the 23mm version on my carbon Ribble and 25mm on my 80s steel Claud Butler and they’ve been very good. No punctures, seem to grip well enough, nothing to complain about. But I’m not exactly an expert and don’t have much experience of road tyres.

jonathan
    Free Member

I bought them for long rides – a series of centuries, a 300k Audax and a 250 miles in 24 hrs – that’s sort of what I meant by high mileage! Similarly looking for comfort without too much of a weight penalty. I think they pretty much hit that nail for me.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Thats the info i was looking for, thanks Jonathan 😀
    Doing Walney to Whitby in a month & looking for a tyre that will roll well on those bad roads without being draggy. Not a racer, and just getting into audax myself. The route is 185 miles although we are splitting it into two days to enjoy ourselves.

Slicks or regular tyres?

jonathan
    Free Member

The Rubinos have enough of a tread to give confidence on rough roads. If I could afford it I’d have got Paves – supple, file tread, light… but silly money (for me!)

prawny

I got them for commuting because they are one of the cheapest really good tyres, they’re light comfy and fast rolling, my commute was 40 miles a day on a proper road bike with as little luggage as possible.

They’re a great tyre for people who can’t afford or don’t want to spend £40 per tyre. I currently have zaffriro pros on my carbon bike, cost me £16 for the pair. Bit wooden, but they go round.

oldgit
    Free Member

My favorite tyre.
    Use 23’s and 25’s on my training bike.
    Use them for my Audax bike so comfy.
    Use them for cycling trips because they’re so reliable.

I ran out of race tyres for the last road race of the season, so I lobbed on some old 25c Rubinos and ended up contesting the sprint on them.

Needing tyres in a hurry I bought Gatorskins. Several tears after day one, puncture on day two. Too tough, uncomfortable and misbehave. Rubinos seem almost too good.
    jonk mentioned the Fortezza Tri comps, a slightly snazzier version IMO, but they wear far far quicker.
    Doing a 400km this Saturday on mine.

Edit; They’re always about £17 at Ribbles anyway. And I find them very easy to fit and remove by hand.

Yak

I’ve got the slicks in 23’s. Bought them to replace GP4000S’s which seemed to fall apart whenever I looked at them. So far they seem durable, comfy and quick, so no complaints from me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Road tyres – Vittoria Rubino pro 3's’ is closed to new replies.