Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Road tyres for the winter
  • 2tyred

Well, I can’t be bothered doing any actual work today.

Finally wore through a Schwalbe Stelvio last weekend that I’d had for ages and ages. Looking for something to use on my good training wheels over the winter (for training, not commuting) that falls somewhere between the lightness of a Pro Race 3 and the puncture resistance of a Marathon plus.

For really nasty days I use the bombproof wheels with Marathon plus, as I can’t be doing with punctures in bad weather, but want something lighter on the lighter wheels that are a bit tougher than a regular tyre.

Are Gatorskins the obvious choice here? What else is to be recommended, 23mm width? I’ve always got on well with the Stelvios but wonder what else is out there and not too pricey?

cheers!

jimc101
    Free Member

Conti Grand Prix 4 Seasons are nice, but expensive and not everlasting, wore a rear to the threads in just under a year. no punctures till the threads went though, used Gatorskins a few years ago, found then to be OK, but nothing special, and plenty of punctures.

Currently using Michelin Lithion 2’s mainly because they were free when I got a pair of Pro4’s, although haven’t put nearly enough distance on them to know what they are really like.

Used Stelvios in the past with no issues, the name seems to have been changed / replaced by Durano now.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Maxxis refuse

boblo
    Free Member

Ultremo’s for summer
    Ultremo’s for winter
    Aaaah Ultremo’s….. 🙂

fasthaggis

Are Gatorskins the obvious choice here?

Some people love them,but I would never use them again.

I use the these now .

damitamit
    Free Member

GP 4Seasons from bikediscount.de

FuzzyWuzzy

I vary between Ultremos and GP4Seasons for winter tyres, Ultremos slightly grippier but not much in it, the Ultremos cut up a bit more though.

SimonR

Another vote for GP 4-season.

Definitely buy these again although might be tempted to for for 25c rather than the 23c next time.

Think I got mine on a multi-buy from pro-bike kit. They seemed expensive but only an extra £10 per tyre relative to a ‘cheap’ tyre …. not much spread out over a year’s use.

will
    Free Member

Ive used Vittoria Zaffiro tyes last year and they were good, not “that” heavy and rather cheap: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31769

Or for £6 these look ok?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=86975

MrAgreeable

Used Stelvios in the past with no issues, the name seems to have been changed / replaced by Durano now.

Duranos are aptly named, I’ve worn a set out in around 6 months this year. Had much better life out of Gatorskins, although as other people have said, there are more puncture-proof tyres out there.

CraigW
    Free Member

Or Durano Plus if you want something a bit more puncture proof?

LordJingles
    Free Member

I’ve used the 4 seasons and the Gator Hardshells and find both not grippy at all. punctured the 4 seasons 4 times in a 1000km. Have been using GP 4000S tyres now and have had 1 puncture in 7500km. very grippy too.

LordJingles
    Free Member

BTW, Ultremo DD ‘s are rubbish IMO .

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

GP4000s all year round.

Nobby

I’ve been very impressed with Vittoria Rubino Pro III’s in all weathers. Some good deals on ’em at the moment too.

bob_summers

Currently using Michelin Lithion 2’s mainly because they were free when I got a pair of Pro4’s, although haven’t put nearly enough distance on them to know what they are really like.

Tried these last winter (Lithions*), in the wet they were like riding on a skid pan. Horrific.

I tend to use up the half worn Veloflex and Open Corsas left over from summer first, then a pair of Rubino pros will see me until the season starts.

* next model up (Krylion?) supposed to be good though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Road tyres for the winter’ is closed to new replies.