• This topic has 47 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Road tubeless suggestions?
  • avdave2

They’re awful. They’re an absolute bastard to take off and put on almost every rim and they’re not the wonder tyre that everyone makes them out to be.

I’ve just put a brand new set on my rims and I don’t think I’ve ever found new tyres that went on so easily. All down to the combination of tyre and particular rim I guess.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Tired, when you say “hose pipe”, do you mean lacking in grip? For a specific “all season” type tire, they don’t seem that supple a compound in cold/wet conditions and I’ve had the back end squirreling around under hard braking a few times in the wet. Wondered if it was because I haven’t used this pair for a year or two and the rubber had degraded over time. Or whether they’re just not that wonderful?

ransos
    Free Member

Tired, when you say “hose pipe”, do you mean lacking in grip? For a specific “all season” type tire, they don’t seem that supple a compound in cold/wet conditions and I’ve had the back end squirreling around under hard braking a few times in the wet

I didn’t think they were brilliant in the wet, and the ride quality felt less supple than some other tyres I’ve used. That said, they were still a lot better than the Gatorskins they replaced. The main issue was that they were so tight on the rim, I struggled to change a tube at the roadside.

Garry_Lager

I had good experiences with the pro-ones on an urban commute – was impressed after hearing their fragile reputation. Seems a large tire for its listed size – 25s look like 28s easy. Unfortunately just cased the rear on a pot hole, repaired OK but thought I’d give an IRC forumula pro a go – seen those well-quoted on here.

scud
    Free Member

I like the Schwalbe G-one Speed in 30c flavour, but have been running Specialized Roubaix TL tyres and really like them and the roads here are in a terrible state covered in mud and flint chippings from the beet lorries.

13thfloormonk

Wow, GP 4Seasons hard to mount? Mine have gone on to Fulcrum Racing 3s and DT R460s by hand, including a thoroughly miserable winter puncture (only puncture I’ve had on them after crashing over a pothole I hadn’t seen) in the rain with numb hands.

Interested to hear they’re not considered very good, is there something else considered durable but still relatively light, tough and fast rolling?

OP, apologies for the hijack!

sarawak
    Free Member

I put mine on with a Kool Tool and had no difficulty. They just popped on.

TiRed

I found the grip was ok but they had no suppleness. I raced them once just to get a better feel for them. Just done 150 km on GP 4000s and they are night and day different. Foundmounting to be easier than the GP4000s but I wouldn’t use them again.

Rode 650 km on the Paves over Christmas and they are so much nicer. The G Ones are also a better ride with a lot more volume and tubeless too.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Road tubeless suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.