• This topic has 47 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Road tubeless suggestions?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

After three punctures today (and riding the whole of Aston Hill with a flat rear trying to catch the group) it’s time for new winter tyres.

Anything better than hutchinson intensive in 25mm? Can’t fit anything bigger than a ‘small 25mm’ in the guards.

What sealent? Stans seems to get panned by roadies, I’ve got loads of OKO left but no one’s tried it. Orange endurance seems to get a lot of love. What about the new finish line long life stuff, seems like a good idea for b***** tight road tyres.

Rims are shimano rs61 in winter and stans alpha 340 in summer if the tyres last that long.

mcnultycop

I use Schwalbe Pro Ones (in 28mm, but they do a 25mm) with Stans. Stans has sealed at least one puncture so I’m happy with that at the moment.

Went up easily on Hope 20 Five rims with an air shot and they feel great on the road.

scaredypants

Please god, do NOT buy pro-ones if intensives are too fragile !! (unless they’re just worn so thin that punctures were inevitable

Road tubeless is a challenge due to the higher pressures IMO – jizz just, err, jizzes out all over the place. Even retaining anchovies is hard as the carcasses are thin enough not to grip it properly.

Stan’s “lumpy” (the race stuff) saved a tyre that ordniary stan’s and a strip couldn’t seal. I reckon that OKO might be good due to the fibrous stuff (which surely is old newspapers) but I haven’t tried it

AdamT

I have pro ones, but would be tempted by conti gp5000. Very new tyres, but the gp4000s were great tyres

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ve been using Specialized SWorks turbo 2bliss this year and find them a lot more robust than the previous pro ones, they’re a good weight, grip and roll well and are well priced.

TiRed

For winter I like Schwalbe G-One Speeds. They’re a bit wide at 30c, but have a good ride, fine grip and seem pretty robust. Fast enough for a medium club ride (20-21 mph average). They are based on the old Schwalbe Ones. not the newer (fragile) ones. Some have noted that the nobs wear down fast, but I have not noticed this on mine.

What they fail to tell you is that once you get a puncture, it should seal, but probably won’t hold road pressure to, say, 80 PSI. The plug tends to blow out, and then it is tyre off, add a patch inside and remount. Or just pop in a tube an leave it. That’s what my front G-One is sporting at the moment after a serious glass incident. For the rear, I just pumped it up and popped in some fresh sealant. They had not been ridden for about 8 months.

Sealant is Orange.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Haven’t tried intensives, they were just the first/obvious thought for tough tubeless tyres.

Current tyres were schwalbe blizzards which despite being cheap lasted well.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Pro ones 28mm not let me down. Did over 17k this year and didn’t even bother carrying any spares or pump. So long as you top up stans every 2-3 months there isn’t a problem. Welsh lanes recently left lots of thorns. Just kept riding. GP5000 look good I’ll give them a go. Once a tyres worn down flat/square. It’s time to change it.50 front 55 psi rear. 69kg.

didgerman
    Free Member

Mavic UST are working for me. Wheels and tyres, think the tyres are Vittoria so they might be worth a look. Orange sealant, and maybe the new valves from mucoff?

Pridds

Really impressed with my Hutchinson fusion 5 all season 11storm. I got them in 28 but they come in 25 too
    https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Hutchinson/Fusion-5-All-Season-11-Storm-Tubeless-Tyre-Bundle/KJMK

crazy-legs

Schwalbe Pro One in a 28c (they do a 23 and 25 too). Running on Prime carbon wheels with Finish Line sealant. No issues so far and the tyres don’t seem fragile.

Did LEJOG on them earlier in the year. I’ve always got on well with Schwalbe tyres, they seem really reliable.

Haze

IRC RBCC are holding up well, 25mm width is spot on on wide rims.

I’ve been using Orange Seal endurance for a while now but to my knowledge it’s never been tested.

Stans before it was fine also.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hutchinson fusion 5 all season 11storm

What’s the difference between that and the intensive?

Pridds

No idea as I’ve only had pro ones before, but that version is the winter treaded tyre with the grippier rubber and a bit more puncture protection

kiwicraig

Pro ones (28mm on Hunt wheels) lasted less than 200km for me before written off with a puncture. Very fragile IMO.

Maxxis Padrones in 28 are working well for me.

flattyre
    Free Member

I found pro ones very fragile too, even got front punctures.

I think tyre weight for size is a pretty good scale for punctures and feel.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

It’s kind of like a false truth isn’t it, tyre punctures so we call it fragile, tyre doesn’t puncture, we call it fine. And how many times do we allow a tyre to puncture before calling it fragile??… I’ve worn Schwalbe Pro Ones down to the carcass before they punctured but they are billed as a race tyre rather than a winter tyre.

Got some 28mm Hutchinson 11Storm Fusion 5’s and they seem good in the wet but only been using for commuting – so probably been riding a bit slower and more conservatively with them anyway. They seem to have quite a tacky feel to the touch. Just put a set of the Galaktiks on the race wheels and they went on very easy and still inflated easily as tubeless.

flattyre
    Free Member

I think you can call pro ones fragile as it seems pretty easy to put a big slice in them (not ideal for tubeless).

Anything more than the odd puncture (as reported here) makes them worse than a 200g tubed tyre…

Haze

May be worth mentioning that I’ve found Pro Ones to be a bit sketchy in the wet, not what you want if you’re running them through the winter months.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactic.
    Hands down the best tubeless road tyres I have tried.
    But maybe a 4 season or the performance version for a bit more durability?
    Thanks,
    Max

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Stans standard or Race sealant with no issues on road or cross wheels.

sarawak
    Free Member

How easy is it to inflate road tubeless? I’m thinking of just with a bog standard track pump. On mtb it was almost impossible without a compressor, and that’s not practical out on the trail. I might, but it’s a long shot, put some tubeless on my Hunt rims but not if I have to resort to buying a compressor or driving to a petrol station to use their air pump.

Will a normal track pump suffice?

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Road tyres are normally a lot easier to inflate than MTB tyres.
    Take the core out and a good track pump is normally fine.

Recommend the Maxxis padrone, I been using after been on Schwalbe ones, just find they wear a lot better and a bit cheaper. If racing I prob use Schw ones as they little bit lighter.

claudie

Very impressed with overall abilities of Hutchinson 5 storm performance version – done about 1500 miles so far and tread still looks excellent, goes on easy and running them at 75 psi in a 25mm with me being 68kg

sarawak
    Free Member

What pressures do you normally run road tubeless? I aim for 110/120psi or thereabouts. Don’t like soft tyres as they drag too much.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

What pressures do you normally run road tubeless? I aim for 110/120psi or thereabouts. Don’t like soft tyres as they drag too much.

Depends on tyre size, rim width and rider weight amongst other factors. I use 28c SWorks 2Bliss on Roval 21mm internal rims at 90kg with tyre pressure of 60f 65r which is about the same as 90psi at 23mm

Most people run road tyres too hard, thinking they increase drag massively if they can’t feel every piece of grit on the road.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

WAY to high IMO.
    Would not run that high PSI with inner tubes.
    one of the best things with Tubeless is been able to run lower pressures, better rolling, grip and comfort.

I would also double check you tyre side walls for what the MAX PSI is. I be surprised it be that high on tubeless tyres (even 23cc that be high!)

oldnpastit

I’m using some Giant tubeless road tyres I bought from my LBS when they were on special offer.

They’re a bit thicker than Schwalbe G-ones, so hopefully will last a bit better.

Marked as 25mm, but come up at 23.8mm.

Running them at about 80psi, seem great so far, nice and grippy and happily plough through the zillion pot holes that Cambridgeshire is blessed with.

ransos
    Free Member

Pro Ones wear quickly, cut easily, and have little grip in the wet. I replaced them with Hutchinson Sector 28s which have been much better.

crazy-legs

Pro Ones wear quickly, cut easily, and have little grip in the wet.

I must have the one decent pair of Schwalbe Pro One on my bike then! These are on close on 2000 miles since August inc LEJOG (which had a couple of wet days where everyone on Conti tyres was puncturing) and I’ve just done 2 weeks in Gran Canaria including a few gravel roads and cactus-strewn verges and there is zero sign of wear. No cuts or scrapes.

ransos
    Free Member

must have the one decent pair of Schwalbe Pro One on my bike then! These are on close on 2000 miles since August inc LEJOG (which had a couple of wet days where everyone on Conti tyres was puncturing) and I’ve just done 2 weeks in Gran Canaria including a few gravel roads and cactus-strewn verges and there is zero sign of wear. No cuts or scrapes.

My rear tyre had squared off at 1500 miles! It went in the bin after a bulge appeared, the front having already been binned following a cut right through the carcass. A pity really as they rode really nicely, in the dry anyway.

chakaping
    Free Member

Can I tackle the elephant in the room and ask why you wanted to ride Aston Hill on a road bike in the first place?

Or are you not talking about the bike park near Tring?

sarawak
    Free Member

WAY to high IMO.
    Would not run that high PSI with inner tubes.

You may actually have a point there. As and when I puncture – which I seem to do regularly – I can only inflate using my little on the bike pump. This rarely gets me above 70psi, if that. Handling never seems compromised and I never seem to notice the “low” pressure.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can I tackle the elephant in the room and ask why you wanted to ride Aston Hill on a road bike in the first place?

Or are you not talking about the bike park near Tring?

“Aston Hill” on a road bike is a few miles south of there, A40 west off the B4009, just north of m40 j6. By Chilterns standards it’s a decent length and gradient (rather than the usual short but brutal).

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I was querying the Schwalbe Pro One reports because mine have also been fine. Not easily cut up, grip fine in the wet or dry.

By comparison, I had about 3 punctures in 3 rides when I first put on some GP 4Seasons a while ago. Does that make them a bad tyre or was I just unlucky??

sarawak
    Free Member

By comparison, I had about 3 punctures in 3 rides when I first put on some GP 4Seasons a while ago. 

Don’t say that. I’ve just put some on as a last throw of the dice before I bite the bullet and try tubeless!!!

infidel
    Free Member

I’ve been using road tubeless for quite a while now and wrote a post on my experiences with it and various wheels and tyres:

here

Re: Schwalbes – I’ve not found them to be particularly fragile. In fact the only tyres I have found to be relatively fragile/quick wearing are the Vittoria Open Corsa and the Vredestein Fortezza Senso All Weather but they are not tubeless!!!

crazy-legs

By comparison, I had about 3 punctures in 3 rides when I first put on some GP 4Seasons a while ago. Does that make them a bad tyre or was I just unlucky??

They’re awful. They’re an absolute bastard to take off and put on almost every rim and they’re not the wonder tyre that everyone makes them out to be.

ransos
    Free Member

I had more than my share of punctures with those, and they were very tight on the rim. I had much better luck with Michelin Pro 3/4 clinchers.

TiRed

I gave away a set of GP4 Seasons. Awful tyres. Like riding on hosepipe but probably a bit better than gatorskins. The GP4000s are better but seem silly tight to mount. For winter I still love my original Vittoria Pave and have a few still unused. My favourite tyre on Open Pros in a 25c. With latex tubes the ride is sublime.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Road tubeless suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.