Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Road trip in Ireland, suggestions for places to see and stay
  • uphilla
    Free Member

Heading over to Ireland for a couple of weeks in the camper van. Staying in Belfast then doing Northern Coast road. Any suggestions for “must see” when we head South of the border? It is a holiday rather than biking trip. Thanks!

binners

If you’re driving from Belfast to the South then its worth stopping off in the Mourne Mountains before you get to the border. They’re in what was formally known as Bandit Country. Its absolutely stunning!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Mountains of Mourne

Mount Stewart, south of Newtonards

Giant’s Causeway, obviously

Carrick-a-rede Rope Bridge if you have the head for it

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    xora

Go see all the MASSIVE megaliths. They are really impressive. And they are on a super massive scale makes Stonehenge look like a kids toy.

xora

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrowmore is the plave I was specifically thinking of.

Garry_Lager

Would you be coming down from Belfast, or going round the top and down the west coast? The wild Atlantic way on the west coast has been a big tourist success – it’s just some wavy signs on the roads, but it’s a good resource to link places to see. Coastline is incredible in places there.

https://www.wildatlanticway.com/home

frankconway

Connemara is on the atlantic coast; go to rossaveal and get ferry to Aran Islands – Inishmore specifically. Huge bronze age fort on cliff top.

Back to mainland and drive on down to Galway.

Enjoy!

smogmonster

Glendalough is beautiful. The Wicklow Mountains. The Ring of Kerry and Valentia Island….squeeze in a trip to Skellig if your a Star Wars nerd.

ElShalimo

The Beara Peninsula is lovely if you get decent weather.

dissonance

Hill of Tara. Especially in nice weather when the view shows why it was chosen.

donncha

Carlingford, Rostrevor, West Cork (make sure to check out the bioluminescence night kayaking), ring of Kerry, Skelligs Islands, Clare Burren, Doolin, Galway City, Don Aonghasa on the Aran islands, Leenane, Kylemore abbey, Achill Island, Slieve League and Glenveagh.

The Wild Atlantic way is a good route suggestion.
    Have a Google at those and see which take your fancy!

donncha

Oh and make sure to check out Brú na Bóinne.

btw the Mourne Mountains in South Down is not bandit country. That was South Armagh!

Nice pic though from the top of Slieve Binnian.

uphilla
    Free Member

Thank you, sounds like plenty there to fill a couple of weeks!

Leku
    Free Member

Slieve League, Donegal  – highest sea cliffs in Europe.

And Craggy Island of course.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Benone Strand and Mussendun Tempe (bias – I holidayed there as a child)

Lots of GoT stuff.

Ballycaste and lots of the touristy towns and beaches are nice. Bushmills Distillery, Carrick-a-rede and Giants Causeway all do what they say on teh tin.

Antrim Glens are IMO an undiscovered gem – moreso than the Mournes (which are bigger).

Belfast is good for a night out I’d say.

Further south, Hillsborough is a cute village with a nice park/lake, the Queen’s residence and some nice pubs for a food.

belfastflyer
    Free Member

Fermanagh lakes are a must amd donegall. Enjoy that frictionless border while it lasts!

pirahna
    Free Member

I’m at my parents house in Roscommon at the moment, don’t come this way.

andytherocketeer

posting this just to bookmark the thread, as I’ve been meaning to actually find enough round tuits to get around to visit the home of my ancestors.

hmmm – it’s Roscommon

dovebiker

There’s very little in the middle, so just keep the sea on you righthand side and you’ll be grand!

CraigW
    Free Member

Rathlin Island is nice for a wee wander around. Ferry from Ballycastle.

trebord
    Free Member

donegal mountains, glenveagh national park.. errigal has awesome hostel

andy4d

How far south are you going. Cork, kinsale, killarney, ring of kerry, the dingle peninsula. Or if you don’t want to go that far south Galway is worth a look.

pirahna
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>andytherocketeer
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

posting this just to bookmark the thread, as I’ve been meaning to actually find enough round tuits to get around to visit the home of my ancestors.

</div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

hmmm – it’s Roscommon

</div>

It’s not that bad if you have a reason to visit. There’s a couple of decent bars in the town and some vaguely interesting places to visit, the Bog Museum for example. Otherwise the midlands is a sleepy part of the country, farming and bogs sums it up.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Road trip in Ireland, suggestions for places to see and stay’ is closed to new replies.