Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Road Train Pros and Cons
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Sitting once again in traffic governed by average speed cameras, as with everyone else, Cruise control set at the limit. I thought we might as well be bound together. So I reckon how about if we actually had that. Some form of car carrier which used the roads, which we could opt in and out of. All the comfort, convenience and capacity of a car but a single fuel cost. Most roads seem busy enough that a regular almost constant service would be sustainable. What wrinkles? What barriers? What enablers?

BigJohn

Tarmac over the railways and restrict their use to radar controlled cars.
    No more traffic jams.
    Only problem is falling asleep at the wheel and not knowing when to get off.

mattyfez

You mean like automated cars that are networked.

They are coming.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

All the comfort, convenience and capacity of a car but a single fuel cost.

We have rail… Better option for transport off the end of the railway, more penalties for single occupancy vehicles etc. Big thing would be getting more freight off the road (one thing hs2 could do.
    Make cities a place where you really have to try not to use public transport.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yeah, we have rail, but I can’t carry so much stuff, keep kids entertained, play my own music have a sense of privacy or any of a whole load of things. Automated cars might do it, but they are still lots of individually propelled vehicles

mattyfez

Once automated cars get the green light, the insurance costs on self drive will make self driving a thing of the past.

And we’ll have fewer jams and better safety. Not to mention road rage will be obsolete too.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yeah insurance on automated cars will be complex

wilburt
    Free Member

Not really, its being sorted now.

You get a feel for what it’ll be like if you have a car with active cruise.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

we have rail, but I can’t carry so much stuff, keep kids entertained, play my own music have a sense of privacy or any of a whole load of things.

The future will be compromises, the majority of the time/journeys are not hauling kids long distances, taking loads of stuff etc. headphones let you listen to your own music and not sure what you need privacy for in many ways if your not driving your free to do loads of stuff Get them off the roads and you ease the load on the network.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Road Train Pros and Cons’ is closed to new replies.