Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Road Tax PSA
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member
    maccruiskeen

Yay no VED disc in the windows

end of an era. They’re a british icon. I drew someone a tax disk with coloured pencils once for a car he’d bought with half his giro.

the-muffin-man

Yay no VED disc in the windows

Booo!

I like them – got loads of old ones in my service book folder dating from when the car was registered in 1999 (no idea why though!).

spence
    Free Member

Knew that was coming but didn’t realise that you couldn’t pass on any outstanding (paid for) duty. Saved on 2 cars this year bought with longer expiration dates on the discs than the outgoing cars, both high bands as well.

40mpg

Spence – you can apply for a refund of any remaining so you won’t lose out.

Motoring organisations, however, are concerned that drivers will unwittingly break the law if they do not know or understand the new rules.

Er, no new rules, just you don’t have to put a disc in the windscreen! I guess these are the same motoring organisations who think cycling should be banned because its too much for drivers to think about 🙄

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I haven’t been displaying a tax disc on my motorbikes since a bought a 1998 S-reg Honda brand new. They just get wet and turn to mush. I used to put a laminated photocopy in until someone pointed out that I was then ‘forging’ my disc, at that point I stopped altogether.

It’s going to be a right pain in the arse claiming the tax back though. I’ve done that before and the DVLA are useless at it.
    Why can’t you just pay monthly, then transfer the balance to the new car? It’s not hard to do that.

jam-bo

paying by monthly DD is a welcome addition.

GrahamS

Er, no new rules, just you don’t have to put a disc in the windscreen!

The “new rules prohibits sellers from passing on the outstanding period of road tax with the sale of a car” part is new isn’t it?

(also rolly-eyes at a national motoring organisation still using the term “road tax” *sigh*)

Drac

Yup as announced back in December.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/car-road-tax-discs

Why can’t you just pay monthly, then transfer the balance to the new car? It’s not hard to do that.

That’s part of the new change.

40mpg

The “new rules prohibits sellers from passing on the outstanding period of road tax with the sale of a car” part is new isn’t it?

Well apart from that bit! 😳

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

also rolly-eyes at a national motoring organisation still using the term “road tax” *sigh*

+1

But when the ASA is telling car companies it’s ok to use the term in their TV ads you know you’re pissing into wind hoping for anything to ever change. 😆

My whinge at them didn’t get anywhere.

GrahamS

..the ASA is telling car companies it’s ok to use the term in their TV ads..

I wonder how they’d feel about adverts for houses which boasted that buyers paid zero Poll Tax?

totalshell

sold a motorbike on april 30th via an internet auction site.. guy picked it up 5th may. advertised as tax expires end of april.. sent off v5s ect. got acknowledgement back dvla chased me for 1.84 in unpaid VED ( 5 days) i said not my bike sold on 30th april, it had no mot but was insured.. get on your bike.. nice letter back this am.. tough and you now owe us 81.84 for the audacity of claiming you didnt owe us anything..be afraid..

Drac

sold a motorbike on april 30th via an internet auction site.. guy picked it up 5th may.

Yeah you didn’t sell it or class it as VOR on the 30th April then.

m1kea
    Free Member

GrahamS
    ..the ASA is telling car companies it’s ok to use the term in their TV ads..

I wonder how they’d feel about adverts for houses that boasted about buyers paying zero Poll Tax?

My Sunday paper has a motoring section and they totally interchange car/road/vehicle/ved (tax) in all their articles. You’d think the editors would pick up on this purely for consistency.

simmy
    Free Member

I can’t wait to take my Tax Discs out in October and see how long it is till one of my mosey Neighbours reports me for no Tax.

The DVLA produced 42.2 million paper tax discs, with a total weight over 72 tonnes – more than a Challenger 2 tank.

But how does that compare to the volume of an Olympic sized swimming pool?

butcher

Good. Not all that long ago I bought a tidy new tax disc holder from eBay. Already it’s peeling away from the window and curling up around the edges. Means I won’t have to buy a one. And hopefully the guy who sold it to me will go out of business.

🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just picking up from simmy’s post, I guess they’re not getting so many reports of untaxed vehicles anymore then and/or they’re relying more on their ANPR vans (a few more of which I’ve seen prowling in Brizzle recently) picking up offenders? That was the one thing I liked about visible discs – they kinda shame people into paying their VED. Ireland had a massive problem with uninsured drivers back in the 70s and 80s (pre computerisation of everything) and made people display insurance discs as well. Amazing how many more people coughed up when their neighbours knew whether they were driving around uninsured. 🙂

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Well if you have a sorn vehicle and only drive in an area with no cameras you won’t get caught.

Maybe they should add no MOT pass without tax via the DVLA computers.

I will print out a smiley face to go with my silver chrome VED disc.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I can’t wait to take my Tax Discs out in October and see how long it is till one of my mosey Neighbours reports me for no Tax.

One of my neighbours reported me to the Police last year after my ancient tax disc holder let the disc slip out and down the front of the dashboard. Police man popped over, saw that I did have a tax disc and it was all fine, if a bit worrying to have the polis at your door!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

they’re relying more on their ANPR vans

cloned/ stolen number plates will get more common especially for high banded vehicles

CountZero

Looking forward to this, it means I no longer have to find £110 at the end of December.

superfli
    Free Member

I’ve carried my motorcycle tax discs in my wallet for the last 4 years or so. Had a previous one go missing, so thought if they had the tech then any reasonable copper would see I was taxed. Never picked up for it though.

So is this a crafty money making scheme then? Sell you vehicle on 15th of final month, cant get any tax rebate. New owner also has to tax from 1st of that month (loosing out on 15days)…

spence
    Free Member

40mpg, get that you can get a refund – as long as it is from the date of the application rather than the next whole month as now – just that I “saved” money this year by buying cars with longer tax on them than the ones they replaced. Won’t be able to do that in future.
    Does that mean you also have to arrange tax for any car purchased before you drive it away as they can’t be sold with VED paid up. Added admin you you not them then.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Road Tax PSA’ is closed to new replies.