Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Road tax disc – new rulez today
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I popped into the post office to get my road tax disc proudly bearing my newly acquired MOT test certificate and insurance document. Turns out today is the first day they are no longer required to be produced. All our MOT and insurance data is on their system.

Changed days.

Mister-P
    Free Member

People still go to the post office to get their tax discs? How quaint. Why on earth would you want to subject yourself to that?

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

We’ve done all ours online for the last few years. Much quicker than going to the post office, queueing, waiting.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Awesome, some actual joined up technology.

mrmoofo

Perhaps now they will start to do something about those who haven’t paid …..

bhodgkiss
    Free Member

Happy days!

ahwiles
    Free Member

what tax?

😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

I hope they start sending out MOT reminders. Too easy to forget.

bikebouy
    Free Member

indeed, for a Govt department to be joined up with actual “users”!!!

Whodathunkit. 😆

M1llh0use
    Free Member

what is this “post office” you speak of? sounds archaic!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and to save the crusaders the hassle it’s Vehicle Exercise Duty not road tax 🙂

khani
    Free Member

They do roadside ANPR checks round here with a car transporter waiting for those who haven’t got any, and all the cars pulled and put on the transporter had a BIG yellow sticker in the drivers window with ‘untaxed vehicle’ on them..

iolo
    Free Member

What if you’ve just bought the car from a dealer. It has no tax but has test. You have your own insurance.
    Do you a- do it online and wait for you disc to arrive
    Or b – call into the nearest post office and get it immediately ?

khani
    Free Member

It’s not an excuse, get the dealer to tax it, or sort it out before you pick it up..

M1llh0use
    Free Member

or C: tax it online and wait for it to come through the post but continue to drive as they don’t look in the window for the disc, they just check via PNC?

winston_dog
    Free Member

Do you a- do it online and wait for you disc to arrive

That’s what I’ve done in the past.

Technically illegal but everything is on the database, so I doubt they would prosecute for not displaying a disc.

Besides the checks are all electronic now.

footflaps

They do roadside ANPR checks round here with a car transporter waiting for those who haven’t got any, and all the cars pulled and put on the transporter had a BIG yellow sticker in the drivers window with ‘untaxed vehicle’ on them..

Have to say, I’ve never seen any evidence of enforcement in 20+ years of driving. It all seems rather optional….

z1ppy

Jambalaya they already do for £1.50 😥 personnally I just set a reminder on my calendar…

xcgb
    Free Member

My local post office is just about to be moved into the Pub! 🙂

khani
    Free Member

Have to say, I’ve never seen any evidence of enforcement in 20+ years of driving. It all seems rather optional….

If you see a camera van with some police waiting down the road that’s probably what they’re doing, loads of it round here (Essex) and I see em at it regularly..

footflaps

My local post office is just about to be moved into the Pub!

Thus combining two out of date, increasingly unpopular institutions in one…..

😉

jambourgie
    Free Member

Does this just mean that they clobber you with a huge fine the day it runs out? Do I still have to display my current one? How come I only know about this because I come on stw?

Yours,

Laid back vehicle ‘keeper’.

IanW
    Free Member

Intrestingly neither the GOV or the PO websites reflect this change yet, word from my local PO is that the final legal agreement was due Friday and the outcome hasnt actually been published yet. So could technically go either way.

The proposal is to give new cars owners two weeks grace BTW and how ive got this far without mentioning the “road tax” ignorance is amazing..doh!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Ta for the reminder.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I see untaxed vehicles clamped on a regular basis around Northampton. They seem pretty hot on it.

konabunny
    Free Member

M1llh0use – Member
    what is this “post office” you speak of? sounds archaic!
    POSTED 15 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

What is this “tax disk” you speak of? Sounds archaic!

milky1980
    Free Member

Regularly see VOSA’s silver Prius on the link road just off J33 on Cardiff’s link road. Sometimes with a cop bike and a transporter tucked up the St Fagan’s slip road. Also seen them near Ross-On-Wye by the weighbridge and sometimes at the Severn Bridge toll booths. Basically anywhere you can’t get away from them!!

thekingisdead
    Free Member

People still go to the post office to get their tax discs? How quaint. Why on earth would you want to subject yourself to that?

Because the post office keep some of the revenue off the VED and that helps keep a valuable community resource going….

I would be annoyed if my local post office closed and I had to trapse into the nearest town, pay for parking etc just to post / collect an item.

IanW
    Free Member

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

It’s not an excuse, get the dealer to tax it, or sort it out before you pick it up..

Mother in law has just bought a new car. the dealer was unable to tax it, as he had no documents from the DVLA as it had just been registered. They have closed the local DVLA, so has to go to somewhere else, which means no tax disc for probably a month or so or documents for 6 weeks either.

nick1962
    Free Member

People still go to the post office to get their tax discs? How quaint. Why on earth would you want to subject yourself to that

I have had to because my MOT runs out the same month my tax is due.It won’t let you renew till your new MOT is on the system and each time I have tried to renew online the computer has said “NO!” despite having a new valid MOT.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Some of us use the Po as its an important part of rural life whereas “online” is slowly killing local businesses.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Because the post office keep some of the revenue off the VED and that helps keep a valuable community resource going….

Ah, this I did not know. I thought some folk had a penchant for standing in queues with old people.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My Van tax & MOT runs out in the same month, I got the Tax sorted before the MOT ran out, can’t see what the problem is really, only issue I’ve had is changing insurance companies where it takes 3-4 days to get the updates and not he 24hr they quote on the website..

stumpy01

Given that it’s all on computer and has been for ages, I wonder how long it will be before you don’t have to tell the insurance company how much NCD you have?
    You hear about the motor insurance database that has all the insurance details for all the vehicles on the road. And presumably it will have all my details on it somewhere.
    So why do I have to prove to a new insurer that I have a certain amount of NCD. They should be able to see how much I had previously and that I have not made any claims in the current year, so I should have NCD+1 when it comes to renewing…..

nick1962
    Free Member

I got the Tax sorted before the MOT ran out

How?
    From DVLA website “The vehicle has an MoT, Goods Vehicle or Passenger Service Vehicle (PSV) test (if required). This must be valid when the tax disc starts.”

mattsccm
    Free Member

Whats the new bit?
    I haven’t taken anything except the renewal form for quite a while now.

gordy90lpg
    Free Member

Friend was on holiday and got back on the Sunday 04th taxed on line then used her car on the Monday to get to work. Pulled by cops pulling into her street , done for failure to display they weren’t interested in the reference number she got from dvla , £100 fine ! She phoned the dvla but they said although it’s not common to get charged for this by the letter of the law you should have it on. ! No wonder I cycle everywhere. .

robbieh
    Free Member

Wife’s new tax disc arrived this morning, starts in January!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Road tax disc – new rulez today’ is closed to new replies.