Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Road STI repair: 48hours of greif
  • chopperT
    Free Member

In a frenzied ebay moment I bought myself a pair of NOS Dura-ace 9spd STI levers. First hiccup was trying to explain to the Mrs just why I needed them (they’ll go forever, and the old 105s are a bit “tired”).
    So I fit them on the bike, and the bastard left hand (front) lever is twisting on the pivot on the up shift. A “controlled strip” (exploding springs and swearing) revealed the trouble – the impossible to reach nut with the specialtoolrequired drive flats was loose.
    OK, time to “develop” a tool – lots of grinding of 90deg circlip pliers to create a Frankentool pin spanner, and the nut’s off.
    With everything checked and four more pin flats cut into the nut its time to reassemble with that old repair standby Loctite 648, and sure enough after a suitable cure time the spindle was fixed happily on the lever pivot.

Of course before reassembly I checked threads etc, and found the lever retaining screw to be tight in the thread (I had held the spindle in the vice and had probably nipped it a little). OK, fine, run a tap (M4) through to clean it up and we’re away. Wrong. The tap broke, sorry, I broke the tap.
    Dead flush. In the hole. Now I have to tell the Mrs that my fancy new levers are so much junk.

After a night’s sleep I realised I had one more chance, the magic of Spark Erosion. A few calls put me on to some old Chinese toolmaker, who very kindly used his spark eroder to remove offending tap. He then went to chase the thread and promptly broke HIS tap in the hole. I had to laugh (mostly because I felt like less of a ****). He was a good old boy though, and set the thing up in his mill, took the tap out with a carbide cutter, resized the hole, rethreaded, job done. Charged me £10.

My turn now, so home to reassemble the STI, make a 9 mm cone spanner to adjust the bearings, relube, refit, cable it. (That reads like it was easy!).
    And yes it all works, just like a bought one. And the Mrs is happy.

I wonder though, what sort of feedback should I leave?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Neutral or beg feedback with

Left hand sti broken cannot recomend seller (postage ok etc)

Clearly they knew it did not work tempted for neg

cynic-al
    Free Member

yup -ve

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

You have contacted the seller before considering negative feedback haven’t you?

chopperT
    Free Member

Well I haven’t left feedback yet, and to be fair the degree of twist was only so much as to not let the brake lever land square, so really only noticeable on the bike, under cable loads.
    I can’t bring myself to think that anyone would knowingly sell faulty stuff, so probably still +ve feedback, but a private note to seller to explain the situation?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Contact the seller, explain the problem (not the one you created ;))

See what they say.

cynic-al
    Free Member

get some money back!

Shame you have no evidence now

spooky_b329

At least a £10 refund to cover costs. If they say no, neg.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Road STI repair: 48hours of greif’ is closed to new replies.