Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Road spds- grrrrr
  • Pyro

Another +1 on the Speedplays. Couldn’t get used to single-sided roadie SPDs, I was forever skating a foot off the back of the pedal and just about crotching myself trying to get started, now I’ve gone over to Speedplay and I’m much much happier.

joebristol

Swapping to speed play pedals looks a significantly more expensive option than picking up some cheap xc style mtb shoes.

FOG

After too many failed clip ins I gave up roadie pedals and started to use spds. At first I bought the adaptor mentioned but they aren’t very wonderful so I switched to mtb shoes until I noticed my Spez road shoes actually had a two bolt fitting hidden by blanking plugs
    So now best of both worlds , stiffish road shoes with spd pedals – fine!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cookeaa

For commuting SPD rather than SPD-SL makes sense.

Traffic lights, junctions and so on mean there’s every chance you will need to stop start and keep putting your foot down. Plastic road cleats won’t last long with that sort of use…

Shoes wise don’t spend too much:

£30 gets you something that’ll work with a pair of M520s and you’re golden…

joebristol

Agree on £30 as plenty for commuting spd shoes. Just maybe not those decathlon ones as they’re not the most attractive looking tools in the box.

cookeaa

Just maybe not those decathlon ones as they’re not the most attractive looking tools in the box.

Beggars can’t be choosers…

TBH I have some DHB M1.0 and R1.0 both of which were under £30, take 2 bolt cleats, and are prettier. I’d recommend them but wiggle don’t seem to be doing them anymore.

joebristol

True – but then you mention the dhb ones that are better looking shoes.

I’m going to keep a look out for bargains I think. Online and on eBay- but new condition rather than used.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member
    joebristol

THanks for the link – although in this case I’m determined not to stretch my budget (I almost always stretch it)!

Also, they don’t have my size in stock.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

44 shimano is about equal to a 44.5 DMT

theflatboy
    Free Member

I put my M970 SPDs onto my winter road bike a few weeks back for a multi-day tour when I figured the MTB shoes would be nicer for the off the bike times. There was much less of a difference in using them, and we covered 300 miles, than I expected. To the extent that I haven’t got round to taking them off again yet. If you want MTB SPDs on it, just do it.

Sandwich

Unless you’re looking to win races, it REALLY doesn’t matter

Do you even strava?

whatgoesup

Road spds are nicer I think but it’s marginal (I’ve got spds on my commuter and spd-sl on the proper road bike – I reckon the difference is 90% die to the lighter weight and stiffness of the road shoes – carbon soles etc.

Agree spd-sl is harder to clip in/out – it’s getting better with time though.

I trashed my first set of cleats in 3 months – walking maybe 100 meters a day in them when commuting. Bought some clear covers when buying replacement cleats and the problem has gone. As the walk is at the work end I might just leave them in the work bike shed rather than carry them.

If was buying again from scratch I’d find some very stiff light carbon sole SPD shoes to get the best of both worlds.

Edit – just like those linked to above. If they were in stock you would have seen some 105 SPD-SL pedals and Specialized road shoes in the classified next week!

jamj1974

Decathlon used to do some budget SPD shoes which I am sure would be fine.

kcr
    Free Member

SPDs are fine for road use. I’ve used them for many years for commuting and long distance touring. If you get a stiff soled XC shoe, you will notice little or no difference in performance. Road specific pedals are great if you are staying on the bike, but SPDs are a lot handier when you are walking from the bike shed to the office, or popping into the shops on the way home. Flats are also fine for a short commute.

joebristol

On the look out for reasonable xc type mtb shoes then. Never thought I’d write that whilst my mtb is a bit of an enduro gnarpoon.

ucantbesirius
    Free Member

I spent 2-3 years trying to get the hang of Look Keo pedals on my road bike and ended up using (and still do) CB Candy 1 pedals with the three hole quattro cleats that fit them – the pedals have lasted just over 3 years so far and are much easier to engage with than the Look (and I’m guessing the Shimano road spds).

The cleats have a plastic bumper around them that are easier to walk on than the Look Keo ones as well.

Might be worth looking at as it would open up the choice of shoes.

joebristol

The cleats for those candy pedals looks like they are 2 bolt and similar to Shimano / time mtb pedals?

I’ve already got some Shimano mtb pedals lying in my tool box – just need mtb shoes (xc / not to mtb looking) to go with them.

atlaz
    Free Member

I have a pair of road shoes (Bontrager Race) for sale in a 44 which have 3- and 2-hole compatibility if you want to go with road shoes and MTB cleats.

andyv
    Free Member

“The cleats for those candy pedals looks like they are 2 bolt and similar to Shimano / time mtb pedals?”

CB cleats are two hole the same as shimano MTB cleats.

However, though CB and Look cleats may be intercompatable into each others pedals (more from coincidence than design i think) a Shimano cleat mtb won’t clip into a CB pedal or visa-versa.

joebristol

Hi there – was aiming for an xc mtb shoe so should I ever want to put spds on the mtb I could use them for both (albeit this is unlikely) – but could possibly be tempted if they are cheap.

Have you got any pictures / how much would you want for them / how much have they been used / what sort of condition are they in?

joebristol

Andy – so look 3 hole cleats (which presumably fit Shimano 3 hole only road shoes) fit into CB Candy 1 mtb pedals?

atlaz
    Free Member

Message me your email address and I’ll send you a photo

joebristol

Update on this one – I managed to win some northwave mountain bike shoes on eBay that had barely been used for £10. Bargain. Made my life so much easier on the work commute, but not too much loss of pedalling efficiency that I’ve noticed. I don’t think northwave fit my feet as well as Shimano do but they do the job nicely.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Road spds- grrrrr’ is closed to new replies.