Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Road saddle for use without pads? Chromag Trailmaster DT or Charge Spoon?
  • yohandsome
    Free Member

Got a Chromag Lynx for my roadbike, but find it’s a bit too hard for use without pads (most padded pants/shorts don’t fit me, don’t go on very long rides and like multi-functional garments for running, gym use etc).

I’ve had the Chromag Trailmaster DT in the past and it’s quite good, just get another one or might the Charge Spoon be worth considering at less than half the price? Budget £60.

ayjaydoubleyou

Have the charge spoon on the MTB, fine without padded shorts [for me]. completed the south downs way in a day using this set up.
    A stiff road bike may be a different proposition though.

MoreCashThanDash

Presumably it’s the entire bike set up from tyres to perineum that affects the discomfort. Not sure a saddle alone would completely solve it, maybe wider tyres and lower pressure as well

yohandsome
    Free Member

It does have a somewhat flexy seatpost and seatstays to help with comfort so it’s not terrible, but the Lynx is too hard.

mcnultycop

A softer saddle isn’t necessarily more comfortable; is your bike fit completely dialled in?

I’m happy riding my rock hard road bike saddle without bibs on a shorter ride, but bibs are worn for a reason and the right pair do make such a difference.

chrisdb
    Free Member

I am really enjoying the Brooks C17 Carved I just bought for my commuter/winter bike. No padding but very comfy.

yohandsome
    Free Member

A softer saddle isn’t necessarily more comfortable; is your bike fit completely dialled in?

It is in my case, I ran the Trailmaster on it before the Lynx which has more padding. I might get some padded underwear for eventual longer trips. Not gotten fit completely dialed in.

Here’s what I’ve read so far, SDG Bel Air is comfier than Charge Spoon, but avoid the 2.0 version of the SDG – the OG one looks a bit dated.

Specialized Romin and FIZIK ALIANTE VERSUS also recommended for road use.

Brooks saddles are a bit heavy, not a weight weenie, but don’t see the need to go above 300 grams (Trailmaster).

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Basic ~£16 Spoon on my fatbike is fine for me for commute duties without a pad, but then it’s under 30mins each way.

yohandsome
    Free Member

d

Specialized’s 4 contenders, liked their saddles in the past..no idea how they compare to the Charge Spoon!

yohandsome
    Free Member

Going to test the Phenom, people say it’s more comfy than the Spoon and overall reviews are excellent.

funkmasterp

I’ve owned both and the Trailmaster (nice leather version) made my arse and bits go numb very quickly. The spoon on the other hand was very comfy. Very different shapes so personally I’d be wary of comparing the two. My favourite saddle is the SDG Bel Air V2.

If you know the Trailmaster works for you I’d go with that option. Saddle reviews and recommendations are a minefield. All depends on yer arse!

yohandsome
    Free Member

For sure, I measured my arse bones and they are 120 mm apart, going to test a Phenom 143 mm and see. The Bel Air V2 could be a good option too, just saw several people disliking it compared to the V1.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Road saddle for use without pads? Chromag Trailmaster DT or Charge Spoon?’ is closed to new replies.