Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Road Routes out of Swansea
  • TheDoctor
    Free Member

Have a friend from Canada visiting the Uni at Swansea any good road routes I can give them as Ive never ridden the roads there only MTB. I am up in Yorkshire so I can’t scout any out!

Nipper99
    Free Member

Gower loop would be good day. There is a very good network of cycle paths – I recently did route 4 to Llanelli then route 47 to Crosshands little back roads though Ammanford over Mynydd y Gwair to link up with route 43 back into Swansea.

There will be a uni club and there are a few road clubs in Swansea and an active CTC if he wants more a more sedate pace.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Cheers for the info

toys192
    Free Member

I was there for 4 years in the 90’s, I would say you have three options:

1) The M4, don’t slow down until Bridgend, and only then if you see any cops.
    2) On the mumbles there used to the odd speedboat near the pier, Devon is not far. Make sure you have fuel. I agree its not a road by the time you are in the water,but it is effective.
    3) Up the south Gower road there is an airport, see if you can beg/borrow/steal a plane/chopper.

Whichever one you take just don’t look back, and good luck.

Ambrose

Toys- you didn’t get out enough. Loads to do.

Anyway, for the OP. Get to the Ospreys Stadium and then work your way upstream. When at Morriston, decisions, decisions. Over Mynydd y Gwair to Ammanford? Carry on to Clydach and then to Pontardawe? Onwards up the A 4067 to Brecon? Taff Trail?

To be honest, I’m a dyed in the wool MTB rider but even I get tempted by road rides around here. SO Much to do.

Mynydd Betws. Mynydd y Gwair, Y Gwrhyd. In fact anything heading north of Swansea has great road rides. All the main rivers have great cycle paths too.

IdleJon

Have a friend from Canada visiting the Uni at Swansea any good road routes

Loads, but it depends on fitness, how far he wants to go, etc. As Ambrose and Nipper say, maybe start with the NCNs. That’ll take a few weeks of exploring. There are plenty of narrow roads over the hills north of here, and Gower is a lovely place to explore.

And ignore toys192 – he was a student here and seemingly got abused on a regular basis for being English. 🙄

ransos
    Free Member

Head up into the hills via Bog Road.

ferrals
    Free Member

Is he staff or student?

jam1e
    Free Member

This may be of some help: Swansea Cycle Routes

Otherwise just head out on to Gower over to Llanmadoc / Rhosilli and back.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Lots of do in every direction except south.

From Swansea you can ride the Rhigos loop by heading towards Port Talbot, up the Afan valley road, over the big summit, down the other side into teh Rhondda then over the Rhigos and back down the Neath valley (back road). Great 3.5-5hr route over some big hills.

Or head up over the Black Mtn and choose a loop back (lots of options).

Or go to Carren Cennan Castle for a fantastic tea shop and great riding.

Cycle to Aberystwyth over the devils staircase and telephone box hill (about 95miles), stay over, then return the next day by a flatter route through carmarthenshire.

The moors directly north of swansea all also good, albeit very steep. Access from near Morrison hospital.

Swansea Wheelers Cycle Club do club runs on all of the above and used to have lots of routes available to download on their website.

For a flatter ride head to Porthcawl .

IdleJon

ransos – Member
    Head up into the hills via Bog Road.

Where’s Bog Road?

toys192
    Free Member

Toys- you didn’t get out enough. Loads to do.

And ignore toys192 – he was a student here and seemingly got abused on a regular basis for being English.

Ooh just mucking around, don’t get all upset. I loved my time at Swansea, married a Welsh girl, had the greatest surf, and rode some ace trails. I’m just having a laugh about the alma mater. Lets face the city is a shit hole, but it is surrounded by some of the loveliest spots. I wasn’t into road riding when I was there, but I can only imagine its great. and you appear to have been amply served by those who are.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Bog Road = Crymlyn Bog Road, though there are other ways to get to Skewen 🙂

Nipper99
    Free Member

Why would you want to get to Skewen!

I finished a ride yesterday by coming down the cycle path by the Neath Canal to Britton Ferry, the bit between Neath and BF itself is proper grim landscape wise – if you ever had need to dispose of a body somewhere then that would be the place to do it. That’s the only recommendation I can give it.

maxlite
    Free Member

Gower loop is the way to go, via cycle track up Clyne.

Relatively traffic free, just time your rides between school drop offs and pick-ups.

Check out Strava

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Thanks all, lots to look at and explore there !

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

The uni guys ride Wednesday at 2pm from the front of Fulton house. There’s usually a fast and long ride as well as a slower, shorter ride. I doubt they’ll mind if you ask nicely. You could try and contact them on facebook, the group is SUCT (swansea uni cycle team).

molgrips
    Free Member

No, not Gower loop. Wonny’s Rhigos loop is an absolute UK top 10 classic. If you only do one ride, it should be that or a variation.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Either head West, for the Gower which is nice and scenic.
    For a harder ride head North. Through Felindre or Clydach and onto either Mynydd Betws or Mynydd Pysgodlyn/Garnswllt. Then through you have loads of choices, but the best ones lead onto the Black Mountain.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Road Routes out of Swansea’ is closed to new replies.