Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Road riding SW London
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Just moved to Earlsfield and brought my mtb, realising now that won’t be able to use train midweek to join mtb group in the evenings and my rota might mean time is at even more of a premium than anticipated. Which means I’m toying with idea of sending mtb back home and getting road bike sent down. Means I could in theory pedal from the door and get out during the week relatively easily. I could get a few more tris done plus I would look to head out to flanders next year which has been a long held goal. So is it just traffic and scoots around Richmond park or are there proper hills and country loops within striking distance?

Note there will only be one bike in our flat, i know, I know, I’m weak, not a true cyclist etc etc

njee20
    Free Member

Straight down the A24 out to Epsom – Box Hill etc, plenty of decent road riding.

drofluf
    Free Member

What njee said – I used to live round there and either Richmond Park or down to the Surrey Hills

pullfaces
    Free Member

“Off road” (sic) in South London.
    Track cycling outdoors.
    http://www.hernehillvelodrome.com/calendar/
    You’ll need to do an induction on a Saturday at 1.00pm then a number of basic training sessions on a Saturday at 12.00 noon but it then gives you evening sessions and Saturday morning sessions to do. Track bikes provided at no extra cost. You can ride any bike to get there.
    Structured training will improve all cycling fitness.

fontmoss
    Free Member

That sounds ace!

pullfaces
    Free Member

Went along this evening for track training.
    They were doing cyclo-cross training sessions.
    No one told me about it!

There is a circuit there just about large enough to hold cyclo-cross events:
    http://www.summerseries.co.uk/
    Next event there 19 August.
    Muddy Hell is in October:
    http://www.muddyhell.cx/

And I think there’s likely to be a winter series with events there.
    I don’t know whether you are allowed to enter on a mountain bike.
    Muddy Hell I’m pretty sure you are. But stick some 29er wheels on your mtb with 1.5 tyres and you’d be fine.

bland

Do you not need to own a pinarello to ride in SW London?

jambalaya
    Free Member

The Surrey Hills are very popular with London roadies, most of those I know in SW London ride out to the Hills each weekend. The London 100 sportiv thing is next weekend recreating the Olympic Course (one lap of box hill only though). Likewise they tend to ride loops of RIchmond park midweek or if not going out to Surrey Hills. I would imagine Strava has lots and lots of routes.

kilo

http://www.kingstonwheelers.co.uk/clubrun.shtml#routes

all within easy distance of earlsfield. richmond park is ok but a place to avoid on a weekend morning!

RickyRah
    Free Member

I live just up the road from Earlsfied and there is plenty of good road riding. If you’ve only got 1.5-2 hours, you’re probably best just to stick with a few laps of the park. But, as above, it’s a nightmare at a weekend unless you’re there well before 9am.

Otherwise you can ge out to clear roads within about 10 miles.

Straight down the A24 out to Epsom

Personally, I avoid this. I find it’s much better to head out via Wimbledon – Raynes Park – Motspur Park – Horton Country Park.

spacemonkey

The Surrey Hills are very popular with London roadies

If local MTBers ever felt precious about having their territory invaded by outsiders then spare a thought for those using the roads around Box Hill. It’s gone ****ing mental over the last 15 months. Do they not realise the SH have a far greater expanse of climbing/scenery beyond just the Olympic route? I imagine the cafe owners aren’t complaining though.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Join a road cycling club. Sorted.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Join a road cycling club. Sorted.

Hmmm maybe…

poolman
    Free Member

I am in Kingston quite a bit so ride along the thames to Weybridge, down the Wey to say Wisley. Beyond Wisley is dull but you can get the train back from Guildford.

Top day out – you need fat road tyres or mtn bike as it’s gravelly.

I do it on a Brompton quite easily.

Safe riding.

mcboo
    Free Member

Yeh dont go down the A24 unless a soul-less never ending dual carriageway flicks your switch. Down through the park to Hampton Court, Kingston then out to Sandown, Esher way and into the Surrey Hills. All kinds of nice road riding, Peaslake and Box top places for a cuppa.

kilo

Yeh dont go down the A24 unless a soul-less never ending dual carriageway flicks your switch

But from earlsfield to the outskirts of epsom it isn’t dual carriageway, it’s a bit dull but perfectly rideable and the dual carriageway bit (about 1/2 a mile just into epsom) is no problem either

mcboo
    Free Member

We came back through Epsom from Box a couple of weeks ago, got stuck on a hellish road all the way to Kingston, am sure you are right, there is a better way.

This is a shortened version but shows a nice way out and back that isnt super busy….add hills to taste.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/348872106

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Road riding SW London’ is closed to new replies.